The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 13, 2001, 09:49 PM   #1
Brian Gibbons

Old Belgian Shot Gun ...

I was hoping someone could tell me more about an old shot gun I had recently purchased. It is a side by side 12 gauge break action with internal hammers, a four digit serial number, and a barrel length of 30 & 1/8 inches. The gun's overall length is 46 & 3/4 inches and it is very "plain Jane". There is only a slight bit of engraving around the barrel breechs. Some of the machining looks crude and all the proof marks are Belgian, but there is nothing to indicate a manufacturer. I understand that there where many different types of "no-name" Belgian shot guns made and that this might be one of those "hardware" guns. I am thinking that perhaps Fabrique National produced cheap guns that were sold through retail stores without a manufacturer's stamp so that the poor workmanship didn't reflect back on the FN name. I have learned that it was designed to fire 2 & 1/2 inch shot shell but I am thinking of shooting the more readily available 2 & 3/4 inch shells with a light trap load. (I have already carried out some test shots, remotely fired, with no problems encountered). Can you tell me any thing else about these unidentifiable Belgian shot guns ? Thanks ...
Old August 14, 2001, 05:49 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's easier ways to commit suicide than put overlong shells into a century old gun of indifferent workmanship and materials. I suggest pills.

Usually, when one of these blows up, it's in the bbl between the forcing cone and the tip of the forend, IOW,halfway between your eyes and left hand.

Until a smith you trust with your life(because you are) OKs this shotgun for use with proper ammo, hang it on the wall. This is an artifact, not a tool.
Old August 15, 2001, 04:34 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I totally agree. It is more than likely that the old gun has Damascus barrels. The only problem with shooting those guns is that spare parts are not available - not spare parts for the gun, spare parts for YOU! Like fingers, eyes, etc.

Jim
Old August 15, 2001, 06:49 PM   #4
Brian Gibbons

Damascus Barrels ?

How do you tell whether or not they are Damacus barrels? I don't know the difference. The most recent proof mark that I can verify is post 1924. Does this mean anything as to whether or not the gun should be fired? Of course I know that if there is any doubt, the best thing to do is to not shoot the thing, but I want to learn as much about this gun as I can ...