The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 31, 2015, 06:34 AM   #1
kcub

edify me on the Colt Lightning pump repros

They seemed like the hot thing a few years ago but a little pricey as I recall from a perfunctory glance.

I'd appreciate any and all knowledge and experience regarding what's what with this genre.

I'm just an old boy who likes to blast (but not competitively).
Old November 1, 2015, 06:31 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know much about the repros, but the original is a POS (a well-made POS, to be sure, but still a POS). I could never see anything good about them; of course they are a valuable collector gun, and IMHO hanging on the wall is the right place for them.

Jim
Old November 1, 2015, 11:35 PM   #3
idek

here's one reproduction: http://www.uberti.com/lightning-rifle

still not cheap, and it doesn't have the same nostalgic appeal to me as a lever gun, and doesn't look as practically designed as a modern pump such as the Remington 7600.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/uberti_lightning_rifles.htm
I'm not a big Chuck Hawks fan when it comes to opinions, but there's some factual information in there as well.

I'm not sure if the Taurus Thunderbolt has been discontinued or is just a rarity in stores, but they can be had quite a bit cheaper than Lightnings on auction sites.

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus_Thunderbolt.htm

Last edited by idek; November 1, 2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old November 2, 2015, 05:02 AM   #4
eastbank

repo,s are iffy as to working well. eastbank.
Old November 2, 2015, 05:33 AM   #5
kcub

Thanks gents. Forest sound as reliable as a lever gun.
Old November 2, 2015, 08:16 AM   #6
kcub

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=519052140

It looks like there was also an American Western Arms; any good? Here's a John Taffin article I found.

http://gunsmagazine.com/web-blast-li...ice-awa-style/

Last edited by kcub; November 2, 2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old November 2, 2015, 08:27 AM   #7
Kosh75287

A number of years ago, I had the hots for a Lightning repro, but was steered away from it by a couple of dealers. The main complaint was that the pump handles had a tendency to crack, and actuating rods were prone to bending. I don't think it's a QC issue so much as a design artifact,

If the piece is to be gently used, as in a shooting parlor, it shouldn't be a big deal. I don't think the designers anticipated the use of these rifles on the open ranges back then, nor in Cowboy events, today.

I'm no metallurgist, but I cannot help wondering if heat-treating the steels of which the actuating rods are made might fix most of the bending/binding issues. It would make an already expensive firearm more expensive, but it could solve part of the vulnerabilities. Similarly, some sort of impact-resistant polymer to replace the wood pump handle could do wonders. It might be difficult to make the material truly resemble wood, which might "cheapen" the overall looks. And let's face it, looks DO matter with such a firearm.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old November 2, 2015, 10:58 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

"repo,s are iffy as to working well. eastbank."

You can't say they didn't continue the tradition.

Jim
Old November 3, 2015, 01:33 AM   #9
WIN71

Question

What does
Quote:
"repo,s are iffy as to working well. eastbank."
mean. For just a casual shooter I have found pump actions quicker and easier to fire a second shot out of. Don't get me wrong, I have levers in 30-30, 32, 348, and 405. I have only owned one semi high powered pump rifle ( 30-06 ) and it was a Remington. I didn't like it much, but the second shot was fast. I shoot older pump actions in 22 and 22wrf and I just love them.
Old November 7, 2015, 11:44 PM   #10
drobs

A friend of mine had the Taurus Colt Lightning - he nothing but problems with the gun.
Old November 20, 2015, 08:59 AM   #11
kcub

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...c,48264.0.html

In this thread the Pedersoli and AWA are the only ones anybody has anything good to say about.
Old November 20, 2015, 10:10 AM   #12
Idaho 45 Vaquero

Amazed that other people have problems with the Colt Lightning.

I haven't touched any of the repos or replicas, but my dads original in .44-40 always works great, and is just as accurate as any of the pistol caliber lever-guns. I also knew a rancher who used a Colt-Lighting as his saddle gun for 50 years or so. It must have been plenty reliable for him.
Old November 20, 2015, 03:00 PM   #13
BlueTrain

As a general question, which perhaps should be in a separate thread, do you think cartridge firearms from before, say, 1900 were as well made and reliable as we imagine they were? I realize some were very cheaply made, same as some guns are now, and not particularly reliable but referring also to Colt, Remington, Marlin and so on. One acquaintance felt the early Colt Single Action Army revolvers were very well finished but were otherwise not so great as far as measurements and so on (don't remember his exact words). At couple of models, like the Colt Lightning, were supposedly unreliable, although I don't know in what way. Probably bad springs or something.

With absolutely no basis for saying so, it would seem that both lever actions and slide action firearms would be more prone to malfunction than a bolt action and definitely more so than a single-shot, although the comparison may be unfair. Who would want a single-shot over a repeater on the one hand, and on the other, when did bolt-action rifles begin to become popular or even available? 1890?
Buy War Bonds.
Old November 20, 2015, 08:47 PM   #14
kcub

Mauser 98 as in1898. Some came before like the Krag but the 98 was perfected.
Old November 22, 2015, 03:19 PM   #15
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
You can't say they didn't continue the tradition.
Ha ha, yep.

I've researched the Taurus pumps in .45 Colt, and the overwhelming consensus is "jammomatic".

I would love to have a pump in .45 Colt that worked, 12" SBR & suppressed of course. The perfect home defense rig.

If you can find an IMI Timberwolf in .44 mag, that'd be one way to go. I really wish someone would bring the Timberwolf back, then offer it in .45 Colt.