The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 11:35 AM   #1
LynnTX

My first SIG (P250C)

I am a senior adult and have mostly owned revolvers as hand guns for decades. Only semi I had was a Ruger MKII for target and plinking.

I finally decided to acquire a semi-auto that was concealable and higher capacity. I really like the simplicity of the gun and the easy break down of the design. For anyone that has broken down a MKII, you know what I mean.

9mm ammo is hard to find right now, so the only thing I have on-hand is some American Eagle FMJ target ammo - but that is o.k. until I have a chance to really get some range time with the gun.

The price was well worth it, even though I had to cough up $40.00 for an extra clip. I'm not too impressed with the night sights, but I think I will get used to them with some range time.

I did not break down the magazine clips to clean them internally. Do you think that is something I should do? They did not seem to be greasy to me when I inspected them.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Que

As your experience has been with revolvers you should transition to the P250 well. The main criticism of the gun is that many find the DA revolver-like trigger difficult to learn/master. You should have no such problems.

I own two P250 and never saw a reason to break them down to clean them when the gun was new. I saw no condition that warranted it.

Enjoy the P250.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:21 PM   #3
RamItOne

The P250 is great, have the C in .40 and love it. Smoothest DA trigger on a semi I've seen.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 9, 2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Technosavant

I find the compact (the midsized P250) to balance the best in the hand of all of them. No, unfortunately magazines are not cheap for the things, but they should last a while. I've never once bothered to crack mine open and I don't plan to.

I like the night sights... just keep in mind that the dots are an aiming aid in low light, not aids for best accuracy. If shooting for accuracy, line up the outside outline of the sights, not the dots. Lining up just the dots causes pretty much every night sighted gun I have to shoot low.

IMO, you bought a fine gun. For extra amusement you may wish to get a 17 round magazine with the X-grip for that extra touch of capacity.