The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 3, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1
headhuntermax

AR 15

What is a good price on a AR 15? (223). Im looking to buy one for hog hunting.
Old July 3, 2012, 11:22 PM   #2
ripnbst

S&W M&P 15 Sport $600 ish.
Old July 4, 2012, 01:39 AM   #3
ben_raines

WAlMart now sells AR's, starter is the DPMS base rifle for about $587, up to the Colt and SigSauer at over $1000. Just depends on what your American Express can handle.

BR
Old July 4, 2012, 06:50 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

Welcome to the forum headhuntermax

Prices start at around $600 and go up to near 3K.

You have almost a unlimited choice of brands and configurations and caliber with the AR rifle.

My best advise is read, read, and read some more. www.ar15.com is a good starting point, you have to sort through the chaff. You well see that many people place a lot of importance on the brand, or roll mark of the AR, DON"T! There are a few brands to avoid but most are very similar in quality.

Is 5.56 going to be enough bullet for the size hog you are hunting? There's a 6.8spc and 6.5grendel. Calibers approaching .50 are available.

My definition of a hog gun would be a 7.62 AR, these look like the AR15 but are physically larger. A flat top with a 1-4 optic or a red dot, 16" barrel and try and keep the weight under 8.5lbs.
Old July 6, 2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Kevin_d77

That's kinda the same boat I am in. Everyone tells me I should build one etc, my philosophy was to get an entry level rifle and teach myself from that. I have been eyeing the M&P15 and some of the DPMS offerings. I am primarily into pistols, but the AR platform has been intriguing to me of late. Not sure what to do, or maybe I should wait, learn more and try to "build" one.

BTW, there is definitely something to be said for instant gratification but I also understand taking pride in your own creation.
Old July 7, 2012, 03:29 AM   #6
Baylorattorney

I've killed every hog I've hit with 5.56mm out to 350+yards, scores of them. my current gun is the m&p sport and it's doing just as good as any other I've owned (bushmaster, colt, DPMS).ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341649707.676195.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341649730.419481.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341649773.394108.jpgthis one was the 350yard shot.
Old July 7, 2012, 06:54 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylorattorney
I've killed every hog I've hit with 5.56mm out to 350+yards, scores of them.
I would agree the 5.56 well get the job done. I have to go to the southern part of the state for hogs and they are small compared to the ones in the southern US. 5.56 and they fall over dead within a step or two.
Old July 8, 2012, 01:08 AM   #8
Marquezj16

Another M&P 15 Sport fan here. Mine has been flawless and very accurate. Plus you can find them for around $600.
Old July 8, 2012, 02:18 AM   #9
BillyG

In my mind, there's nothing wrong with the DPMS Sportical...$587 @ Walmart. It's a very basic carbine, doesnt have a dust cover or forward assist...but for my needs, neither were necessary. I put a little money in the scope....Nikon M-223 3x10x42, and I hit what I aim at. It may/may not put 5 shots in a quarter group @ 100 yds....then again I can barely see a quarter @ 100 yds...lol.

Buy or build....just enjoy whatever you choose.

Billy G

PS....It's addicting though. Im already looking @ building my next one.
Old July 9, 2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Justice06RR

Quote:
That's kinda the same boat I am in. Everyone tells me I should build one etc, my philosophy was to get an entry level rifle and teach myself from that. I have been eyeing the M&P15 and some of the DPMS offerings. I am primarily into pistols, but the AR platform has been intriguing to me of late. Not sure what to do, or maybe I should wait, learn more and try to "build" one.

BTW, there is definitely something to be said for instant gratification but I also understand taking pride in your own creation.
Kevin, I would suggest to buy a complete rifle first if this is your first AR15. I say this because for someone who has never owned or fired an AR, you don't really know what you want yet to include in your own build, and also have no knowledge of how the AR platform works firsthand. I'm a fairly new AR15 fan myself (less than 2yrs) and used to be a semiauto handgun only until I bought my first Bushmaster AR15 Carbine. I got some range time with that, then ended up selling it a few months later. Now I'm into my second AR build.

The M&P15 Sport is a good one to start with, better than the DPMS in my opinion for a few more dollars. Once you have some range time and experience with an AR15, then you can build one to your liking or needs.

To the OP, If this will be just a basic hunting rifle you can expect to spend under $1000 for sure. The Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport is around $699, and the DPMS Sportical is $587 at Walmart. These are both decent rifles to start with.

If you intend to be more serious with the rifle, you can look into higher-end brands like Colt, BCM, Rock River, or Spikes Tactical but those will run you over a grand.