The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

You were right! Curse you all: YOU WERE ALL RIGHT!!

I bought a .44Mag in February or so. I bought cartridges, found them expensive and hard to come by, so I investigated options.

Everyone said "Reload". So I did.

They also said "Beware! Don't think you'll save any money, even if that is why you're starting"
Ridiculous: I mean, what the heck do they know? I just want the basics. I not going to go mad on this reloading business. It's a means to an end. That's all...

And yet, despite having all the gear I need to reload, I have just spent just under £300 on more stuff. Aside from a pair of BC flip-up lens covers, it's all reloading stuff!!

A spare turret for the .308 rifle dies, case guage and trimmer.

Nothing too expensive so far, but then come the Hornady Sonic Cleaner (smaller to ship, not dependant on number of cases to work well, big enough for my needs, and quick!!) and then a Comp Electronics Pro Chrono. (I figured it might help me see what my reloads are doing)

OK. Now that really is "it". Not one thing more. Nada. Zip...

(except a bullet puller that I've ordered... )
Old October 5, 2012, 01:31 PM   #2
AllenJ

Welcome to the club Mr. Pond, it's never-ending
Old October 5, 2012, 01:33 PM   #3
CWKahrFan

uh oh... James has caught the bug... the untreatable virus... my sympathies... Let us know when you hit 10k rounds...
Old October 5, 2012, 01:43 PM   #4
djcantr

It's addicting. I have a whole room dedicated to guns and reloading. Got my safe in there, reloading bench (need a new one...), wire shelving unit full of reloading stuff. Ah... the joys of living alone! Enjoy your new hobby!
Old October 5, 2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Dave P

I think it took me a few years to get "everything" I needed for reloading.

That meant a $100 (or so) order to Midway about every other week!

Some day I will see if they can provide the total amount spent - but it is a big number!
Old October 5, 2012, 02:19 PM   #6
serf 'rett

But you do get to shoot more...right?

Well, that's the theory; however, I get such a kick out of testing loads that I seem to consume my consumables
Old October 5, 2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
But you do get to shoot more...right?
Well, I've not been to the range for a while: time mostly but the times I have been recently I have shot my .44 and .38 quite a bit more than I would have done.

The knowledge that I can just "make more" rounds has meant I haven't rationed myself the way I had when I had my box of 240gr S&B's with no idea where I would next get some.
Do you realise that I travelled 120miles for a single box (50) of .44Mag...?! Mostly I wanted the brass.
That is dedication...

I know have about 240 cases and if I go easy on the crimps, they should last, even if not the best brass for reloading. I've also bought 500 240gr TC FMJ PPV bullets, but they were EXPENSIVE!!! Still, based on recent reading, perhaps the elusive 300gr bullet is not needed for my woods round: perhaps these 240'ers sat on a medium to heavy load of N110 will do. Partly why I bought the chrono: to see what they are reaching.
Old October 5, 2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Slamfire

Quote:
They also said "Beware! Don't think you'll save any money, even if that is why you're starting"
Ridiculous: I mean, what the heck do they know? I just want the basics. I not going to go mad on this reloading business. It's a means to an end. That's all...
I am certain there are rehabilitation counseling groups for reloading addicts.

They probably start the meeting with : "There are no bad people, there are only bad choices".

Then follows:

1.We admit we are powerless over our reloading addiction.

2. We believe a Power greater than ourselves can restore us to sanity.

etc, etc.

Last edited by Slamfire; October 5, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old October 5, 2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Maligator

I wonder if there has ever been a reloader featured on that tv show called "Hoarders" ????
Old October 5, 2012, 04:07 PM   #10
bumnote

It starts leveling out after awhile. After two years, I'm at the point where I actively look for things to buy for reloading...but realize I really don't need it much less have a real use for it. But I did spend quite a bit more than I thought I would have when I started. It's been money well spent, the basics only get you so far...but I kind of knew that when I started.
Good to go with dies, case gauges, chrony, upgraded the powder measure, upgraded the scale...got all the toys I need. Now it's just brass, powder, primer and bullets. When my actual shooting skills can justify it, I'll move up to the uber elaborate bullet seaters. Right now I truly have everything any reloader would need, and I do save money on most of the calibers I load for.
But, in all honestly it's not the saving money aspect I do it for now, it's the higher quality of ammo I'm able to turn out. A little time working on load, trial and error at the range and I've come up with some loads that work better for each specific firearm than any factory ammo I could buy. For me, that's ended up being the real fun in reloading.

Last edited by bumnote; October 5, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old October 5, 2012, 04:26 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Some day I will see if they can provide the total amount spent - but it is a big number!
Don't do that.
In 2010, I saved every single receipt for hobby expenses and added it all up at tax time. (You can write off some hobby expenses, if it's more than 10% of your adjusted gross income. {or something like that})
When I saw the total, I chuckled ...before nearly having a heart attack.
I had spent 12% of our AGI on firearms, optics, reloading, and hunting gear; and that didn't include expenses for the trailer, fuel for travel, food during the hunts, etc.

I was glad to be able to spend the money without scraping by... but it was difficult to actually see the figure on paper.

Don't worry, Pond.
The reloading sickness is like HIV:
It hits you hard when you're diagnosed, but then remains stable for a long time.
You'll have a few years before it's a full-blown reloading obsession. But, once that time comes, there's no stopping it.
Old October 5, 2012, 04:33 PM   #12
jimbob86

So you have the bug.... now go forth and spread the infection: teach someone else!
Old October 5, 2012, 04:40 PM   #13
bumnote

Quote:
now go forth and spread the infection: teach someone else!
I've been trying that and can't get any takers...
It's not so much as I want them to reload as much as I want to use it as excuse to sell them my press so I can justify buying a better one for myself. It'd be great to turn someone else on to it...but it would even be better if I could get them hooked and use it as an opportunity to buy some new toys guilt free.
Old October 5, 2012, 04:41 PM   #14
HiBC

I have the same chronograph,have had it years.Good choice.

You will have better ammo,and,quite important,your ammo will not be dependent on what is on the dealer shelf.
Old October 5, 2012, 05:48 PM   #15
mete

They saw you coming !! With that big sign on your back "SUCKER" [don't know the Estonian translation]
You can reload at low cost and you don't need all the gadgets .When I was reloading I never had a chronograph [rarely borrowed one. ]Never had a machine to polish brass .Shiney brass ?? big deal ! You don't need a huge collection of bullets and powder either .
Was I serious ? Yes. My 44 mag was for Metallic Silhouette matches and deer ,where accuracy is important. Thirty-five years of use I still get my deer . BTW if you don't have deer in your country you could swim over to your cousins in Finland and hunt the American White Tailed Deer !!

So handloading can be for economy if you want
Old October 5, 2012, 06:36 PM   #16
Doc Intrepid

It gets worse.

Now you will find yourself turning into a brass rat.

Welcome to the club!
Old October 5, 2012, 07:00 PM   #17
wncchester

(except a bullet puller that I've ordered... )

Well...that's really not enough yet. For rifle ammo you'll still have to get:

* A Case/Cartridge gage such as Hornady's that mounts on the jaws of your precision dial caliper.

* A handheld case neck turner such as the Centry 21 or Forster's HOT-100

* A neck/cartridge concentricity gage like Sinclair's.

* A good neck sizer die; Lee's collet is the least expensive and many think it's the best at any price.

* A case length trimmer, Wilson's is excellant.

Oh yeah, the money question; I started reloading in mid '65 to save money. I think I'll likely break even some time next year, then I'll be turning a profit!

Good luck and have a good time, I do.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:55 PM   #18
GWS

It can get worse for you, it did me......it won't help to click the picture. Progressives, bullet feeders, case feeders......on and on.

http://s935.beta.photobucket.com/use..._1261.mp4.html

Last edited by GWS; October 5, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:02 PM   #19
primerman

I tried to tell everyone that the bullet puller is the most important item on the bench but nooooo one listens to me... Have fun with your new found hobby.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:26 PM   #20
CherokeeT

You are hooked, just relax and enjoy it.....
Old October 5, 2012, 09:32 PM   #21
tomrkba

What if you run out of primers?
Old October 5, 2012, 09:49 PM   #22
4runnerman

I guess i entered it to shoot a lot more, so im still ok with it. I donate Plasma 2 times a week for $ 280.00 a month. With that extra income ( free income ) I find i don't have to spend much out of my pay check to keep going.
Im no where near some of you in rifles or pistols that i own,but i think some times Im way ahead of most in rounds fired. MY reloading for 3 rifles ( 223, 308, 6MMBR and a 45 ACP ) run around $325.00 a month. 4 years later I still do this all on a single stage press. I have never felt the need to go to progressive. It is very relaxing for me.

To the OP-- Find another form of income just for your hobbie, Be it delivering Pizza or Plasma or ect ect. Makes everything much easier on the wallet.
Old October 5, 2012, 11:11 PM   #23
GP100man

Been handloading since `83 , still can`t pass up reloading tools & "stuff"

Who in there rite mind needs this many scales ???? & that`s not even half of em !!!

Addicted ain`t the word
Old October 5, 2012, 11:12 PM   #24
Crankgrinder

Welcome to the club, and theyre right again it gets worse all the time. Soon youll have a "lair" dedicated to your "activities". Please excuse my asking, I thought you mentioned something like a 200 round limit where u live. Hows that goint to work out now?
Old October 6, 2012, 12:14 AM   #25
Ideal Tool

Hello, Pond..You've just barely scratched the surface..wait until the cast-bullet bug bites! New and obsolete Lymans and Ideals, sizer dies, home-brew lube formulas...HA-HA!..it's a self-feeding..never ending cycle!