The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2009, 03:47 PM   #1
tjndaltx

Once fired Military brass safety issue.....

I have some 308 military brass that I am trying to reload. I am new to reloading and am unsure about an issue.

Along the head of some of the cases there is a ring. Sometimes the ring is a quarter inch thick sometimes it's just a faint mark.

I have a piece of wire that I use to feel if there is a "ditch" inside the case. I've found very few with a ditch. Those with a ditch I threw away.

Is this a safety issue? Can I reload safely using minimum loads of powder?
Old July 15, 2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

This may be the same brass you are having trouble sizing in your other thread. If it was fired in a machine gun, especially, it could be stretched out pretty far. Without seeing it, the ring could be a number of things from simple scuffing by a rough chamber to an expansion ring, but you seem to be checking for that already.

The short answer is yes. You can fire light loads in them for quite awhile. Full pressure loads are probably OK, too, in most instances, but if you feel a deep groove, that might be asking for a head separation, so you are wise to segregate those, IMHO.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 15, 2009, 05:01 PM   #3
tjndaltx

Hi Unc,

Yes, this is the same brass.

I really thank you for your reply.

Tony