The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 7, 2008, 04:27 PM   #1
docbone

What part of your trigger finger do you use?

This question although seeming basic when asked and then asked to demonstrate yields sometimes greatly different outcomes. This question first came up when my trigger finger released a magazine by hitting the mag release button. It was a kel-tec .32 with the ten round magazine. it does not happen with the seven round magazine or anything else i have fired. I have shot my whole life (I have the boy scout rifle merit badge and yes my son will have his in the near future) and have never though about trigger finger placement before. Am i missing something basic? Or is the finger placemnet a complex issue involing gun design and biomechanics.

Anyways i use the middle third of my right trigger finger. What part of your trigger finger do you use?
Old January 7, 2008, 04:57 PM   #2
rampage841512

I use the pad of my finger. Just sort of comes natural and some of the stuff I've read/seen online seems to say that's the correct way of going about it. Works well for me, and that's all that really matters.
Old January 7, 2008, 06:18 PM   #3
honkylips

I've always heard using the pad is correct, but my hands are a bit larger than average and that makes using the pad very uncomfortable. I often use the pad right above my mid knuckle, rather than my fingertip pad. How that affects my accuracy, I don't know, but I know that i hit the target well enough to count if it came down to it.
Old January 7, 2008, 06:53 PM   #4
docbone

For clarification i use the middle third of my right trigger finger pad. I have medium large hands but not beefy hands. If i use only the tip of my pad my finger is angled out oddly and control suffers.

Ask someone what part of their finger they use to pull the trigger. The look on their face as they say "i don't known, i never thought about it before" is great. The first time i asked I was out with friends and family, (some who have shoot guns for over 80 yrs and in wars) were looking at the gun in their hands like it was the first time they had ever held one. priceless
Old January 7, 2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Constantine1911

Not sure if ill get it right but here it goes: the middle part of the finger
Old January 7, 2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If you look where the swirl of the fingerprint's center (like the center of a spiral), that's where the trigger rests. This application is on semi-autos for me.

As far as revolvers, I've only read about some people resting the trigger right on the distal joint (first joint, I believe) right on the trigger. The reason claimed is that some revolvers have long, heavy pulls before the break. This provides better leverage and smoother pull. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I'm not too knowledgeable on revolvers, but thought this would give you a baseline on searching for techniques...

Hope I didn't muddy up the water for you...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 7, 2008, 08:58 PM   #7
Tanzer

The way I was taught; DAO triggers - Down the tip near the first phalangeal joint. SA - the center of the pad.
I seldom shoot anything but SA. Even on my 686 I usually cock it. The middle of the pad works for me in either case.