The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 17, 2007, 04:56 PM   #26
mcubed4130

My friends laughed when I bought my 1st gun. A Mossberg 500 - 12g - told them I wanted to shoot some BIG BOOM ammo.

I then installed a Knoxx SpecOps and a Knoxx Limbsaver for the SpecOps... My 15 year old son, typically shoots with me. 00 buck (2 2/3"), 1oz slugs (2 2/3"), and even some Brenneke 3" Magnum black magic rounds 600grain.

After about - hmm... maybe 80 or 100 rounds at the range, I might take a break for my shoulder. But more common, is that my ears (even with plugs) need a break (or when I wear muffs - it gets annoying).

-Michael
Old March 20, 2007, 09:07 AM   #27
Yellowfin

20's really see their best use for dove, quail, and clays as stated above, for which I have used 20's my whole life. In my opinion for other than those uses there's no reason not to have a 12 gauge.
Old March 20, 2007, 07:46 PM   #28
mike torre

Recoil

I was in the same quandry and bit the bulletr, and bought.
Heres what I got. A gas operated 12 gauge that shoote 2$3/4 loads. Recoils less than my old 16 gauge that has the recoil action. I have been told, and believe that the 20 gauge with a magnum load can recoil worse than 12 gauge.

Understand I shoot competitively and shoot 200 to 225 rounds a week so I cannot have a flinch. My shot gun is for recreation, and hunting, so when I go back to the range i can't afford to iron out a flinch. DO NOT get a pump, O/U or SXS. A fixed breech gun will slap. The gas softens the push.
Also get a gun with a skeet stock, which is desighned to come straight back, not swing up and slap your face. Use a long barrel to mitigate the effects of blast which is as deliterious as recoil.

If you are afraid and not having fun, sell the gun and get a fun gun. Life is too short to have to put up with a harsh piece of equipment just to please an on line He - Man. ( who prolly don't use a box of shells in a year anyway..............
Regards
Mike T
Virginia
(Sing Dixie)
Old March 20, 2007, 08:15 PM   #29
fisherman66

I wish the sweet 16 would make a comeback.
Old March 20, 2007, 09:42 PM   #30
roy reali

Quail Vs. Pheasant

Many folks will say that the 20 gauge is adequate for small birds like quail, but a 12 is needed for larger birds like pheasants. One reason behind this theory is that the 12 gauge throws out more birdshot. It does and there is no arguement about it.

More pellets means more hits. More hits on target translates into a cleaner kill.

Isn't a pheasant a larger bird then a quail. Therefore, wouldn't it stand to reason that more shot will hit it versus a smaller bird. Then if a 20 can hit a quail with enough shot to kill it, it should be able to hit a larger bird with more shot and thus bring it down too.