The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 30, 2012, 03:35 PM   #1
m&p45acp10+1

Just purchased a Mauser

As the title of the thread says I just got home from buy in a Mauser. I will try to post some pics of it later on. It is generaly decent condition. A tiny bit of surface rust (looks like noting a patch and some BreakFree will not take care of.) The stock has a lot dings in it, and it has the foregrip indention.No sling, or cleaning rod. Though I know I can come across both either at a gun show, or online.

The action is quite smooth, and the trigger is light and crisp for an old miltary rifle. There is a bit of slack, though I am ok with it. The price was too dang good to walk away from.

I am hoping to get some info from some of the knowledgable people here.

SN# is EA125XX I do know it is German

There is a roll mark on the front of the action
It has Cal 7.92 in cursive writing with two p's in boxes after that.

I gave it a decent oiling, and cleaning, and am now going to shoot some Yugo surplus at the range with it. (I know the ammo is corrosive, and will clean that out when I get done shooting it. I own a Mosin, and shoot lots of span can ammo. I know the drill well.)
Old March 30, 2012, 04:59 PM   #2
tater134

Quote:
SN# is EA125XX I do know it is German

There is a roll mark on the front of the action
It has Cal 7.92 in cursive writing with two p's in boxes after that.
That sounds like a Spanish marking to me not German. Post some pics and someone here should be able to ID it. A German caliber marking would be a small stamp on the top of the barrel in front of the receiver ring.
Old March 30, 2012, 06:20 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

With that marking and that serial number, it sounds like a Spanish Model 1943.

Jim
Old March 30, 2012, 08:03 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

The marking on the reciever looks like an eagle. As far as pics I am working on it. My phones data cable is MIA and I have to go with the lady to do luandry will try to get a pic posted soon.
Old March 30, 2012, 08:09 PM   #5
tater134

Does the crest look like either of these?

Old March 30, 2012, 08:27 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

It looks like the lower picture there. The crown is not as easy to see though. I rate the rifle in fair condition. It shoots just fine. It will take a bit for me to get used to such a small notch in the rear sight. That is what made it so difficult for me to shoot it today.
Old March 30, 2012, 10:00 PM   #7
tater134

Quote:
It looks like the lower picture there. The crown is not as easy to see though. I rate the rifle in fair condition. It shoots just fine. It will take a bit for me to get used to such a small notch in the rear sight. That is what made it so difficult for me to shoot it today.
You have a Spanish model 1943 Mauser. The crest on the receiver is for the Spanish Air Force.
Old March 30, 2012, 10:29 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

Well thank you for the information. It was a good enough deal that I did not pass it up, though I may turn this one for a profit to get some extra spending cash if need be.

The bore is better condition that I would have thought.

Does $250 sound like too high of an asking price?
Old March 30, 2012, 11:43 PM   #9
doofus47

250 is about right for a M1943 Spanish mauser.
Mine was very solid and accurate. (Duh, it's a mauser...) I sold it for 250 a few years ago when I cleared out my 8mm cache.
Old March 31, 2012, 07:47 AM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

Well I am gonna shoot this one a bit, after I clean it up a little more. I am still getting black patches out of it. Though there is no rust in the bore, so I am not complaining. Looks this gun has years of closet wear. It had what I thougt was a minor bit of surface runst, aparently it was not. A wipe off with some oil showed it was dust.

I have a few things to take care of this morning, and will post some pics up later when I get the time to.