The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2002, 12:57 PM   #1
pvanosta

Reloading done right - what do I need?

I currently own guns in .45 ACP and .357 MAG. I plan to add .44 MAG to that, at some point.
My girlfriend and I shoot regularly.
I want to set up a GOOD reloading rig, with price being less of a concern than speed and quality. I want to get it right the first time, so I don't end up with unused presses after a couple of years of upgrades.
So this is where I ask for the input of the forum:
What all do I need to set this up right from the get-go?
Dillon Press?, What else? How do you clean your brass?
I have never reloaded, but am looking into it now, because our ammo consumption is rising to the point where it becomes economically sound to do it ourselves.
Ideally, I'd like to be able to make 1,000-round batches in a reasonable amount of time.

Thank you for your input.
Old January 19, 2002, 01:47 PM   #2
TEXAS LAWMAN

Partial Answer

You can't go wrong with a Dillon 650 press. The press works well, is fast, and customer service is superb.

As far as cleaning brass, I suggest a large vibratory tumbler such as marketed by Dillon, Berry's, Lyman, RCBS, etc. I use corn cob grit (which can be purchased inexpensively in 50# bags from your local abrasives wholesaler--check the yellow pages).
Old January 19, 2002, 02:30 PM   #3
Cal4D4

Hey, I used to live in LB when going to CSULB. How do you like the traffic circle?

This is qualified 2 cents worth:

Scale RCBS 1010 or equiv + check weights ...gotta verify that charge

Calipers: steel ones are not that expensive and with the auto cartridges you must know overall length when setting up your dies.

Cleaning: I don't - slob - but midway, Dillon, etc make nice ones. Do a search about them, people seem to like corn cob from pet stores and turtle wax chrome polish. Sounds good to me.

Dies: I like Redding, but it does not come with a belling/flaring die. It does have a separate crimp die which is very recommended by many. Lee also makes a factory crimp die many use. My Hornady dies work very well and include a flaring die. RCBS is a long time standard in the reloading die field. Lee dies are inexpensive.

Now the qualifier....Presses

For large volume work you will want a progressive press.

Choices: Lee, Hornady, RCBS and of course, Dillon.

Lee: inexpensive, as in 1/3 the cost of the others. Good design, cheap materials; considered by a few as quite adequate. I don't think any of the custom loaders use them.

Hornady LNL AP: Least expensive high quality press with autoindex, a "nice " feature that MAY increase output speed. I have one and I consider it flawed, especially in the area of priming. Some agree, others are happy with theirs. Requires a flaring die. It is a 5 station press roughly equiv to a Dillon 550, a 4 station press.

RCBS 2000: Manually indexed, its big claim to fame is a new strip priming system quite different than all the others. RCBS is always quality. Fairly new on the market, but some of the most experienced out there like it alot - the priming system is a key selling point.

Dillon: the old standard of the progressive press industry. Flaring is handled as part of their caliber conversion kits at the powder charging station. All Dillon presses have a cult like following of faithful users. They have some problems, but Dillon customer service is legendary. I'm still waiting for a small part from Hornady 2 weeks later (but this is unusual, too). The 2 presses you will probably be interested in are the 550 and 650 (550B and 650B?)

550: a 4 station manually indexed press with a tube fed primer system. Many, including custom commercial loaders never progress from this press. Cult like following.

650: The speed queen. Autoindex, case feed accessories, pricey. Somewhat more complex than the others. Loyal following.

These are listed in roughly lowest price to highest price. I recommend a search of the handloading forum for progressive presses and the press brands. My lengthy reply only scratches the surface of this topic.

Progressive reloading is the only fast way to turn out volume reloads. It requires your absolute attention to what you are doing, but many beginners have successfully started this way. Have at it! I absolutely recommend a thorough search of this forum on this topic.
Old January 19, 2002, 04:20 PM   #4
Jim Watson

The first piece of equipment to buy is a manual. Or several of them. Lyman #47 is good, the ABCs of Reloading has a lot of information, I don't have the current Speer, but I still refer to the older ones on the shelf. I just got but have not loaded the Sierra CD with loading data and ballistic calculations. Dillon and RCBS have videos. Lots of stuff you can learn before buying. Of course most of them want to sell you their equipment, too. Keep asking.
Old January 19, 2002, 06:43 PM   #5
pvanosta

Thanks guys!

I appreciate all the feedback! I guess I'll be keeping my eyes open for RCBS and Dillon equipment online (hope to find a decnt used 550 or 650).

A manual will also be one of the first things I buy, hehe...

Cal4D4: I love living in the area. I live in 'the hole', or University Park estates, depending on who you talk to. It's just off 7th street and CSULB is on the other side of the street, litterally.

Thanks again fellas!
Old January 20, 2002, 09:06 AM   #6
tonyz

If your going to reload for rifle and pistols, I would choose the Dillon 550 or 650.
If your only going to reload for pistols then the Dillon Square Deal B might be for you.
I don't reload for rifles, so for me I the Dillon Square Deal B has
been an exellent press. Here is one for sale at Ebay.

Good Luck
Tony

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1800208917
Old January 20, 2002, 09:31 AM   #7
clown714

dillon fan

here's my $.02.
1)a couple of current loading manuels.
2)electronic scale,really speeds things up.
3)digital calipers,same as #2
4)dillon press(i own sd(pistol),650(rifle)
i would like 2 of each,1 for small primers
1 for large primers.
JMHO