The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 5, 2012, 12:06 AM   #1
uradaisyifudo

backup iron sights

I am looking to add foldable pictany mount backup iron sights to a fnar, already have a red dot, but batteries are not forever. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old November 5, 2012, 01:04 AM   #2
Creeper

Welcome to the asylum uradaisyifudo...

There are many variations and price ranges to choose from... do you have a budget for and/or a particular intent for them?
From Magpul MBUS low cost polymer folders for $50-60 bucks to a few hundred for GG&G, Diamondhead and Knights Armament.

C
Old November 5, 2012, 08:54 PM   #3
uradaisyifudo

Thanks for the reply Creeper, and the welcome, I have seen the many variations looking about the interweb, but really don't know what I am looking at...

I'd prefer flipups just so they'd be out of the way of whatever scope I am using at the time. I have a vortex red dot on now, wich is fun to plink mid range with, but I like the practicality of iron sights, and I usually shoot well with them because it is what I grew up shooting. I guess I'd like to keep the price to $200 for the set, but I am not opposed to spending more if the utility warrants the price.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Fishbed77

Troy Folding Battlesights are the best in my opinion. Not the cheapest, but the best.

The Magpul MBUS sights are OK (just OK) if you can live with the so-so sight picture and overly-chunky aperture of the rear sight.

Last edited by Fishbed77; November 6, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:11 PM   #5
djcantr

I've been pleased with my Troy folding battle sight, but I don't have experience with others to compare.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Creeper

Quote:
I guess I'd like to keep the price to $200 for the set, but I am not opposed to spending more if the utility warrants the price.
Then you're good to go. The Troys that Fishbed suggested are right in the $200'ish range, and Troy makes quite a selection, mostly up and a little down, from that price point. My old worn out eyeballs seem to prefer the Troy DOA variation... but others hate them, so don't go by me.

My opinion on the Diamondhead "diamond" sights... (and this is an opinion because I've only taken a few shots with them on someone else's gun) is that they are slightly different in sight picture and the equal of Troys for quality.

There's a story going around that Diamondhead designed the "diamond" sights, asked Troy to make them, Troy didn't (for reasons unknown) and Diamondhead went with another manufacturer... then Troy came out with their DOA sight shortly after. Take it for what it is... internet intrigue.

C
Old November 5, 2012, 09:32 PM   #7
uradaisyifudo

The troy sights look like what I am after, and what do you know, right at about $200, they must have figured out what a guy will spend for iron optics.

Do you like round or diamond rear apertures? Seems as though the diamond aperture would draw the eye to the sight well (aquisition)?
Old November 5, 2012, 09:34 PM   #8
uradaisyifudo

That is great, Creeper answered my question as I typed a reply.

THANKS!
Old November 5, 2012, 09:36 PM   #9
Creeper

I like the DOA or diamond sights... but again, others hate them, so don't go by me. Try them both if at all possible... to each their own and all that jazz.

C
Old November 6, 2012, 12:42 AM   #10
Justice06RR

As previously stated, Troy BUIS is your best option.

Other alternatives are Midwest Industries, or Magpul if you are on a budget.
Old November 8, 2012, 12:35 AM   #11
The Long Shot

For what you need the Troy sights would be your best bet.
Old November 8, 2012, 07:52 AM   #12
mitranoc

+1 for Magpul's.

I know the Magpul's aren't as tacti-cool as the Troy's, but they've been great back-ups!
Old November 8, 2012, 10:17 AM   #13
Fishbed77

Quote:
I know the Magpul's aren't as tacti-cool as the Troy's, but they've been great back-ups!
The benefit to the Troy Folding Battlesights isn't that they are more "tacti-cool," it's that they are considerably more durable and have a vastly better sight picture than the Magpul MBUS sights (especially with regards to the horrible rear aperature on the MBUS sights). I own both the Troy and Magpul sights, so I'm speaking from experience.

The MBUS sights make a perfectly acceptable BUIS for emergency use (and the spring-loaded operation is neat), it's just that the Troy sights are good enough to be used as primary sights as well.
Old November 8, 2012, 01:56 PM   #14
Achilles11B

I have Troys on my 16" AR, they're built like a tank and they are quite capable of being the primary sights on a rifle. Their customer service is also outstanding.

I've had the Magpul BUIS system on a .50 Beowulf upper, they were good but not quite at the level the Troys were. I'd recommend them if you're on a budget, but if you have some extra funds lying around, go with Troy.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:04 PM   #15
pturner67

do a google search for magpul troy drop test...you may be surprised
Old November 8, 2012, 04:20 PM   #16
BillyJack3

Matech rear sight for like $40. Great BUIS. Troy would be my pick for the front.
Old November 8, 2012, 05:27 PM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:
do a google search for magpul troy drop test...you may be surprised
http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/ba...drop-test.html

Nothing here surprises me. I would think the Magpul sights would perform well in a drop test, since they are spring-loaded, and would fold down under pressure.

The spring is also the weak link of the design, though. It they break, you are left with a floppy sight that won't stay deployed. I believe Sturmgewehr has a Youtube video explaining such an experience.
Old November 8, 2012, 05:37 PM   #18
Bamashooter

I can shoot holes touching at 50yrds with my magpul backup rear sight. I cant complain about that. My primary sight is an eotech 512. I use it almost exclusively. The magpul is a very good backup sight. Who wants to pay $200 for back up irons?

Now if we're talking iron sights for a flattop as primary sights, sure there are better sights out there than the magpul.
Old November 8, 2012, 05:53 PM   #19
mitranoc

Fishbed77,
No denying the Troy sights are superior (for primary use). If you can't admit they look cool too, then oh well..

Last edited by mitranoc; November 8, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Fishbed77

Quote:
Fishbed77,
No denying the Troy sights are superior (for primary use). If you can't admit they look cool too, then oh well..
Personally, I think the streamlined shape of the MBUS sights look much cooler.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:02 PM   #21
mitranoc

Seriously?

I was surprised to see how Magpul performed in the drop test.
Old November 9, 2012, 01:16 PM   #22
pturner67

The 2nd gen magpuls are really nice...low profile, dual aperture
Old November 9, 2012, 05:36 PM   #23
dgludwig

I like the Yankee Hill brand bu folding iron sights. Well-made of good material and relatively affordable.