The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2009, 10:13 AM   #26
skydiver3346

Try this for your .23 GA:

The Winchester "Ranger" .12 GA (reduced recoil buckshot) for your shotgun.

I just shot two boxes yesterday morning at my range and they were just as described by a friend of mine. Low recoil and had a nice pattern out of my Rem 870 with 18" barrel/imp cylinder. Good price too, $4.50/box
You won't be disappointed with these shells and they will still give you good self defense capabilities without the "kick".
Old June 14, 2009, 10:22 AM   #27
Dr_2_B

Thanks for some great suggestions. I'm a little hard to fit because my arms are an inch shorter than most - doesn't sound like much but I think it matters.

I'm gonna get a recoil pad (one greatly helped my Mosin). Also gonna check out reduced recoil loads.
Old June 14, 2009, 12:00 PM   #28
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_2_B
I'm a little hard to fit because my arms are an inch shorter than most - doesn't sound like much but I think it matters.
You're correct, an inch matters a lot when talking about length of pull. Remember, the factory stocks are designed for the "average" sized shooter. But, every gun manufacturer has a different idea about what's the "average" size.

With shorter arms, you're in a tough spot. You can always try adding temporary spacers if you want to give a longer stock a try; but, for a shorter stock, putting saw to good wood is pretty permanent and intimidating.

You didn't mention the model of your gun. If it's one of the popular ones, perhaps you can pick-up a cheapo ugly-duckling used stock and experiment. After you get it to where it fits perfectly, then you can transfer the dimensions to your good stock.
Old June 14, 2009, 12:16 PM   #29
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Possibly locate a "youth model" to see if the LOP siuts you better... May need a slight shim at the butt to get ideal LOP.
What is the gun in question that you shoot now?
Brent
Old June 14, 2009, 12:59 PM   #30
Q!!

I agree with the other. I bet it's not the gauge of the gun, but rather an bad fit. 12 gauges normally aren't that bad in the recoil department. I would try to get the fit worked out. If that doesn't work get some reduced recoil loads, a recoil pad, and a semi-auto.
Old June 14, 2009, 01:26 PM   #31
SPUSCG

Get a limbsaver or other recoil pad.....factory pads are rock hard and suck bad.
Old June 14, 2009, 01:49 PM   #32
mp25ds4

I would go with a knoxx stock and some reduced recoil ammo.
that should knock out about 80% of the recoil
Old June 14, 2009, 07:54 PM   #33
Old Guard Dog

Good fit, good recoil pad, reduced recoil ammo, and even my wife likes shooting 12 ga, even a PGO with the proper loads!!!
Old June 14, 2009, 08:06 PM   #34
oneounceload

OP - I'm going to reiterate my first post - WHAT are you shooting? What type of gun, what type of load, what is your purpose? There IS a major difference between shooting dove/quail with a light load versus HD with 00Buck versus no-tox for waterfowl.............
Old June 15, 2009, 07:10 AM   #35
6x6pinz

Don't let anyone tell you that you need a 12ga. If it is not comfortable then get a 20. After all you are the one who will be shooting it and it needs top be comfortable to you.
Old June 15, 2009, 02:26 PM   #36
Howaido

Quote:
Nothing turns a 12 into a crfeampuff if it still doesn't FIT. If you can't, (with an unloaded gun), close your eyes, mount your gun and be looking right at a predetermined spot, then it isn't fitting right. If you're one of the many Americans who do not fit the profile for "average", it won't fit you right.
The Specops has an adjustable LOP. My 5'1 wife and I use the same stock. Unless we are dealing with Zippy the Pinhead here, chances are it can be adjusted to fit.
Old June 15, 2009, 09:21 PM   #37
earlthegoat2

I dont own any 12 gauges. I dont think they are needed in the civilian world. All hunting included.