The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 14, 2016, 12:50 PM   #26
jmr40

Quote:
am concerned about the possibility of running into a grizzly or brown bear. Would a .357 be enough against a grizzly?
The closest brown bear is in Alaska. Inland grizzly are more aggressive and likely to attack than black bear, but are on average less than 100 lbs heavier. And are quite rare in the lower 48, usually only seen in or near Yellowstone NP. The most likely scenario for you is with a 150-250 lb black bear.

A 357 mag or 10mm loaded with 180-200 gr hardcast bullets are more than adequate. Phil Shoemaker, a noted brown bear guide in Alaska has done a lot of testing and is quite comfortable with 357 mag on even the largest brown bear. In fact in August he killed a large male brown bear that attacked a fishing client he was guiding with 147gr hard cast 9mm bullets.

I carry a G29 loaded with 200 gr DoubleTap ammo in black bear country. I've carried the same combo camping in Yellowstone and slept as well as I would with any other handgun.

I have 3" and 4" Smith 629's that stay home. Even the 3" gun is over a pound heavier, and almost 2" longer than the G29. With G20 mags I have an additional 10 rounds of ammo.

If I were handgun hunting then a 6" 44 magnum makes sense. The longer barrel, better sights and trigger mean more bullet velocity and accuracy. But carrying one around for personal protection none of those matter when lighter more compact weapons are available.
Old October 15, 2016, 12:45 AM   #27
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The closest brown bear is in Alaska. Inland grizzly are more aggressive and likely to attack than black bear, but are on average less than 100 lbs heavier. And are quite rare in the lower 48, usually only seen in or near Yellowstone NP. The most likely scenario for you is with a 150-250 lb black bear.
Rare, yes.
Black bears are more likely, for sure.
But 'brownies' are not non-existent. ('Brown bear' covers both Kodiaks and Grizzlies.)

There are grizzlies still ranging into Washington state.
If the liberal gun owner ventures north in his state, then grizzly is a valid consideration - just as it is if I travel just a couple hours north into central Idaho (not Yellowstone).
Old October 16, 2016, 07:24 PM   #28
rodfac

I'd agree with those that recommend bear spray versus a handgun for bear defense. That said, if you really want a handgun for defense, against bears, then you will need the biggest caliber you can handle and shoot effectively for any chance of success. And DA is what you want for any chance of a follow up shot.

A .44 Magnum would be a minimum in my opinion and with full house loads as well. While I've carried, and still own several Ruger single actions in .44 Magnum, and three Smith Model 29's (one is actually a 629), I recently bought and have been carrying a Smith Model 69 here on our farm in KY.

The Model 69 is a 5-shot "L" frame Smith, weighs 37.5 oz's. empty, and is chambered for the .44 Magnum. The weight should indicate severe (some would opine "heroic" recoil), but in point of fact, it's not all that bad. The gun does come back fast in the hand on firing, but Smith's factory rubber grips tame all that. Too, the front part of the grip extends low on the rear of the trigger guard, eliminating that 2nd finger crunch. It's downright comfortable to shoot, and those grips are the only ones I've ever come across that handle truly heavy recoil effectively.

Accuracy in this new revolver, is superb...well below 2" with my handloads at full velocity, and nearly as good with factory fodder. Too, it's stainless construction makes it ideal for back country use where the lack of a daily cleaning regimen will make short, rusty work of a blued steel gun.

The 69 is innovative on several points: SS construction, sleeved barrel, light weight, "L" frame for comfort in medium sized hands...among others. And yes, it does have that cursed internal lock...tho in all honesty, it's not been a problem whatsoever on several of my more current Smiths.

Compared to the "N" frame Smith's, the 69 is lighter, fits my hands better than the "N" frame, but does so by giving up that 6th shot.

Here's the weight comparison, S&W M69 vs. M629, obviously both in .44 Magnum as shown on my wife's postal scale.
M69: Empty: 37.5 oz. Loaded: 41.6 oz.
M629: Empty: 45.5 oz. Loaded: 50.4 oz.
Here's a pic of my 629 (5" bbl.) with the Model 69 & its 4.25" bbl. below it. Note the grip differences. BTW, that 629 has a similar rubber grip as bought, but I find it not as comfortable in the hand as the M69. YMMV. The 2nd shows what the "L" frame 69 is capable of with good loads...a mild one in this case, (~1100 fps).

HTH's Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; October 16, 2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old October 16, 2016, 07:29 PM   #29
marano

Standard

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I have really big ex boxer hands and I recently bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. I find it a joy to shoot with the factory grips.
Old October 17, 2016, 10:54 AM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
if you really want a handgun for defense, against bears, then you will need the biggest caliber you can handle and shoot effectively for any chance of success.
Quote:
A .44 Magnum would be a minimum in my opinion and with full house loads as well.
These two things can be at odds for many people. I agree with the first part, less so with the second, because there are many people who simply cannot shoot a .44 Magnum that well. For them, a lighter caliber, one that they can use accurately, effectively and repeatedly is a better choice.

Tags
.44 magnum , bears , ruger , super blackhawk