The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 9, 2014, 02:34 PM   #1
sbaker10

Will Eezox lubricant well enough?

I get some really nasty sludge in my ruger 22/45 using bf clp and am starting to get surface rust due to the humidity here. I'm hoping Eezox might not make sludge any opinions?
Old June 9, 2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Venom1956

It doesn't. all my guns run great with it. I soak it for 24-48 hours the first time and then quick wipedowns after that. It will look almost dry if it looks wet you've used to much.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old June 9, 2014, 02:57 PM   #3
TunnelRat

If you're in a very humid place I would develop a schedule of wiping down your firearms with a clean cloth and maybe applying a light coat of oil to the surface.

Is your 22/45 blued or stainless?
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 9, 2014, 03:00 PM   #4
sbaker10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
If you're in a very humid place I would develop a schedule of wiping down your firearms with a clean cloth and maybe applying a light coat of oil to the surface.

Is your 22/45 blued or stainless?
Blued. I keep them pretty well wiped down with clp which was which I was shocked to see rust spots on a coated gun. I also have corrosive sweat it seems. But I've had stainless knives rust on me as well
Old June 9, 2014, 03:05 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
Blued. I keep them pretty well wiped down with clp which was which I was shocked to see rust spots on a coated gun. I also have corrosive sweat it seems. But I've had stainless knives rust on me as well
Yea stainless is more rust preventative, but not a guarantee against.

Another option is if you have a safe to throw in some silica packets. I go so far as to throw big silica packets in the safe and then smaller ones in the pistol boxes within the safe. They're pretty cheap, but make sure to change them out every so often.

For a protectant I like to use Frog Lube. There's a video test comparison on YouTube of it versus Breakfree that seems positive.
Old June 9, 2014, 03:10 PM   #6
PSP

Eezox is an excellent rust inhibitor. It works as well as most "dry" lubes. Personally I use dry lube on all of my guns, either Eezox or Militec-1, but I cheat with a tiny bit of wet lube on critical spots. A modern pistol needs very little lube.
Old June 9, 2014, 05:25 PM   #7
sigarms228

In my experience Eezox works very well as a protectant. I don't use it for lube myself.

However it works best if allowed to dry on per instructions. I use it for longer term protection of firearms that I rarely use and those I coated with Eezox and let them set until it was dry which I believe was overnight in my case.
Old June 9, 2014, 08:04 PM   #8
AK103K

Ive been using Eezox as a rust preventitive for years, and with great results. So far, nothing Ive treated with it has shown a speck of rust, even when only treated once, and left in damp basement over a year without handling. For tools and guns in very humid places, it cant be beat.

I first found out about it when I picked up one of my Seecamps, as Seecamp was promoting it as a "do all" wonder CLP. I didnt find that to be the case. It didnt work well as a cleaner, nor did it seem to lube very well. I use other products to fill those rolls.

As for Frog Lube, I gave it a good try for a couple of years, but have since stopped using it. I found it tends to gum up/thicken, when left for even a short while (its especially noticeable in revolvers).

I was also surprised to find a light coating of rust in and on the cylinder of my S&W Model 28, with in a week of cleaning it with FL the last time I did. I had never encountered that before, and it seemed to work pretty good as a protectant prior to that, but then again, I was using it on guns that were shot a lot, and constantly being cleaned.

I have noticed over the years, that the consistency of the liquid varied quite a bit from bottle to bottle. Sometimes it was quite thin, almost watery, while other times it was much thicker. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.
Old June 9, 2014, 09:57 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

Like others, I'm very impressed with the rust-inhibiting qualities of Eezox. It makes for a decent solvent as well.

As a lube? It's not bad, but you might need something better depending on the gun. For guns like Sigs and Berettas, it's fine, but if you've got a tight 1911, you might need something more viscous.
Old June 9, 2014, 09:57 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
I found it tends to gum up/thicken, when left for even a short while (its especially noticeable in revolvers).
I only apply it in thin layer. Put a drop on my finger and then apply to the area. But you're right that it can do that.

Quote:
I have noticed over the years, that the consistency of the liquid varied quite a bit from bottle to bottle. Sometimes it was quite thin, almost watery, while other times it was much thicker. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.
I've only been using it for about a year, but I have not seen that. I will keep a look out for it though thanks.
Old August 1, 2014, 04:42 PM   #11
Shadow9mm

Eezox is a CLP so it should be fine. I found it to be a GREAT rust preventative, and an ok lubricant and cleaner. It is more of a dry lube, which i do not prefer, but I understand it work better in sandy conditions. I always keep some around to wipe my blued guns down with. As far as a preferred lubricant, Weapon Shield is my go to, great lubrication, easy cleaning, low odor, and good rust prevention.
Old August 1, 2014, 09:07 PM   #12
walts

I use it as a CLP and it works perfectly. I have full faith in it as a lubricant.
Old August 3, 2014, 08:47 AM   #13
Ole 5 hole group

Pretty decent tests:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...uct-evaluation
Old August 3, 2014, 08:49 PM   #14
Venom1956

AWWW

Eezox didnt make the top 3! DAMN! It actually performed pretty bad.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; August 3, 2014 at 10:09 PM.