The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 5, 2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Fireman179

Flip up sight help

I'm looking for a quality flip up sight that mounts to my ar15 gas block. The gas block is railed. I'm also looking for a quality rear flip up sight. Any suggestions as to brand or model would be great.
Old June 5, 2014, 04:08 PM   #2
smee78

This question will bring up a million different sights. I will say I like YHM sights because I like a metal sight set VS a plastic set, ya they cost a little more but I like them better. Plus I like the sets that lock when they are put in position weather its open or closed. Good luck in your hunt.
Old June 5, 2014, 04:38 PM   #3
DubC-Hicks

Definitely don't run a polymer sight on the gas block. My favorite metal flip ups are the Samson's.
Old June 5, 2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Bart Noir

I used a Troy flip up sight set on my S&W MP15 Tactical and liked them. Since you have to used a bullet tip to adjust the rear sight for windage, just like the original M16 sights, it will not get mal-adjusted by somebody fiddling with the cute dial gizmo. "Hey Uncle, what does this clicking thing do?"

Bart Noir
Old June 5, 2014, 07:13 PM   #5
marine6680

The MBUS Pro sights are really nice, I really like them. Palmetto has them on sale as a set last I looked.

Only problem... they are designed for same plane mounting. Unless your gas block rail is the same height as your receiver rail, then they will not work together. You would need a different front sight or a riser to get the proper height with the front MBUS.

Do not use polymer sights on the gas block.