The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 28, 2009, 05:09 PM   #1
ninjatoth

Training With Airsoft?

Has anyone ever practiced shooting/trained with airsoft guns?I have used them for indoor target practice,and if it wasn't for my little one,I would set up targets in various places in my house to practice for real world home defense distances.How do you guys feel about airsoft?
Old July 28, 2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Tucker 1371

I would imagine if you were going to practice HD with airsoft you would want someone else to set up the targets so you don' know in advance where they are.

I've played once out in the woods. Someone gave me a replica Remington 700 Police that they said shot 6mm BBs @ 500fps. We played a 2 vs 2 and I took out the whole other team by myself... granted my gun had an extra 50ft of range compared to their's. It's pretty fun but it's only good if you're playing with honest people, they don't leave a mark like a paintball so it's pretty easy to cheat.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old July 28, 2009, 09:40 PM   #3
ranburr

Airsoft is a fantastic training tool to use in FOF scenerios. It will quickly show you that no matter how fast you are, you are getting shot if you are not moving.
Old July 29, 2009, 06:14 AM   #4
BlueTrain

The US Army supposedly used BB guns to train soldiers in snap shooting a few decades past but it isn't something I've read about recently. The British used BB guns for training for operations in Malaysia years ago, too, using fencing masks for eye and head protection. I imagine that idea was thought of and carried out at a local level, rather than higher up where the idea of being shot at is sometimes ignored.
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 29, 2009, 09:47 AM   #5
booker_t

US Military uses all sorts of non-lethal and marker rounds for training. BBs, paint, frangible, rubber.. you name it I'm it's been used somewhere at some point.

I think a lot of people use Air Soft replicas to train/teach handling as well, especially things like drawing, holstering, etc. They also make a good, safe substitute if practicing hand-to-hand combat with a firearm involved.
Old July 29, 2009, 04:38 PM   #6
bigghoss

I bought a decently accurate replica of my glock 17. it even has the same sights. I use it to practice in the apartment.
Old July 29, 2009, 06:48 PM   #7
CTccBoy

Some of the gas guns have really gross DA triggers that could teach the user how to handle the triggers on DA revolvers or DAO semis. There are some full metal guns that have fairly realistic weight that could help you grow accustomed to carrying the real version of that gun without having to buy it first. I walked around (in my house not in public) with my G17 tucked into my waistband in various forms of dress just to prove to myself that if I wanted to I could conceal a full sized pistol with just minor adjustments to my wardrobe.

"...it doesn't mean you're at the top of a water tower with a 30-06 waiting for the balloon to go up..."
-Another very wise man

Last edited by CTccBoy; July 29, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old July 29, 2009, 10:04 PM   #8
NYPD13

Airsoft is definitly a great tactics trainer. There exist replicas of most popular firearm models, weight and trigger pull may be less realistic however I see this as a safety benefit in training (Negligent Discharge by introduction of real steel). You can supplement live fire and dry fire practice (sight picture and trigger control) with defensive tactics through the aid of airsoft in the home as most of us don't have access to live fire tac houses. You can practice holstering, retention, searches and sweeps, combat reloads, and point shooting safely in your own home while expending little time and money. Oh yeah, Its just plain fun too!