The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old August 22, 2014, 11:05 AM   #1
Smokey Joe

WHERE is it???

I don't reload shotgun ammo much at all, like years between batches. (I'm mostly a rifle and pistol shooter.) But recently the urge came on me, and therefore I began assembling ingredients. Which brings me to the question:

WHERE THE DEVIL IS ALL THE SHOTGUN POWDER?????

No local source I've checked has ANY, let alone the specific one I was after. Midway is oh-you-tee OUT of shotgun powder. I can get most kinds of rifle powder, and some pistol powder, locally, but nobody has any shotgun powder.

Some sources have wads, but what are you going to do with powderless wads?

209 primers seem in very short supply, but there are some, if you're not fussy about brands. And all types of primers seem to be in short supply. Shot seems to be available, somewhat, but of course, not the 8 1/2's that I was after, and gee whillikers is the shot expensive. But that's OK, because w/o powder I can't use any shot nor primers anyhow.

I really didn't want to mail-order powder and primers--All I want is a couple pounds and a few hundred, so not enough to justify the Haz-Mat fee, but that seems to be a moot point.

I feel a little like Rip Van Winkle.

--Smokey Joe
Old August 22, 2014, 01:13 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Sign up for Midway's product notifications. They are getting powder. It just sells out very quickly.
I get at least one powder notification per week - often 3 to 5.

Also keep your eyes on Powder Valley (it helps to follow their facebook page, where they post updates).
And, check in with BPI once in a while. Two weeks ago, they had about 2,800 lbs of shotgun powder available. I'm sure it is sold out now, but it was available for a day or three.
Old August 22, 2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Sevens

I have recently gotten an 8 lb'er of both Green Dot and Alliant Promo.

If you're looking for Hodgdon Universal, stop looking now. That's out of production due to a manufacturing glitch involving damaged equipment. Universal, if you find it, could likely be thrown on Gunbroker for 3x it's normal price.

The powder trickles in and gets snagged up quickly.
Old August 22, 2014, 01:27 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

We have an ongoing thread for discussions just like this one:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545683

Slowly but surely supply is picking up.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread