The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 11, 2013, 07:48 AM   #1
p5200

Otis cleaning kit for removing copper?

I have a new Tikka t3 Deluxe in 270 Win. I gave it a good cleaning before I fired it and cleaned it again after 7 rounds of Federal Power Shock 130gr. Both times I used a patch worm and Bore-Tek Eliminator. Since then I put 16 rounds of hand loaded Hornady SST 150gr through it. Well I since purchased an Otis cleaning kit and was wondering if it could be used to remove any copper fouling. I know, the brass brushes can be eaten by ammonia and was wondering if the brass patch holders would be damaged like the brushes when using ammonia based cleaners and patches? I also have a Pro Shot stainless steel rod and a universal Gun-Slick bore guide. Being a new barrel, I figured it might be a good idea to try and remove copper but don't want to use the Otis Kit if it will mess up the brass patch holders/threads and have one come off inside my bore. I plan to order some nylon brushes. Thanks for all advice!
Old April 11, 2013, 08:51 AM   #2
wachtelhund1

You fill the barrel with the copper out solution to use the Otis system. After the barrel is clean, you empty the barrel of the solution and then dry patch and patch with oil. I've been using the Otis foul out system for 30 years, not even sure if it cantains any ammonia, if so it is a very small ammount and will not hurt your brushes.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:25 AM   #3
L_Killkenny

So you've shot 23 rounds and you're worried about copper fouling?

Shoot it and quit worrying. Come talk to after you have 1000 or 2 rounds in the gun.
Old April 11, 2013, 12:31 PM   #4
p5200

Not worried by no means, just like to get an idea of how rough my barrels are when factory new. Being a Sako barrel I wouldn't think it would be extremely rough though. Thanks folks!
Old April 12, 2013, 06:00 PM   #5
p5200

WOW! I guess the Otis kit is not much good for anything but powder residue and, rimfire use.
Old April 13, 2013, 08:39 PM   #6
arizona98tj

I have a FNAR and use an Otis cleaning kit on it. I use the same cleaner on it as I do my bolts guns, that being Wipe-Out. It does a nice job on copper. The FNAR with the chrome lined barrel gets very little copper fouling, but the Otis patches do a nice job of cleaning what is there (and of course the powder fouling that accumulates).

Use your Otis kit....it will do the job.