The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 25, 2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Strafer Gott

Triple 7 in a '51 Navy?

On a recent visit to the LGS blackpowder counter someone mentioned using Triple 7 in a '51 Navy. I realize in a perfect world, nothing but holy black should be used, but i have to ask if anyone has tried this particular substitute in a handgun, and what results one might expect. I read about one fella with a pocket model with mixed results, but that charge is kind of tiny. Anybody try it with at least a .36 Navy?
Old July 25, 2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Hawg

Never tried it cuz it costs too much but from what I've read on various forums 777 doesn't like to be compressed and can't have an airspace so results are sometimes incosistent. It has to be reduced by 15% because it is hotter than real bp or Pyrodex.
Old July 25, 2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Strafer Gott

That compression thing is going to be a real sticking point. I use Pyrodex with a wonderwad now, which doesn't really like getting crushed either, but it usually works out fairly consistently. I don't like to mash blackpowder either.
I read about needing a reduced charge. That ought to work favorably enough.
Old July 25, 2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Hawg

I've been using Pyrodex for years. It's the closest you can get to real black without being real black. I compress the heck out of it.
Old July 25, 2012, 06:34 PM   #5
North East Redneck

Being that it is almost impossible to find real BP, I do use 777 in all my blackpowder guns. Usual load in the 1851's is 22 grains by volume. No wad used. I load in the frame. Seat the ball firmly, without jamming it in.
Right or wrong, that's how I do it. Probably are better ways, but I'm happy with the results.
Old July 25, 2012, 07:58 PM   #6
Strafer Gott

NE Redneck-
22 grains sounds like max loads. I have been using a wonderwad. I probably still can, if I back off a bit on powder. Does yours shoot high or low with 22 grs. ? The reason I'm interested in something besides Pyrodex is the supposedly lower corrosivity. I have a 2nd gen, and I'd like to go easy on it.
Old July 25, 2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
22 grains sounds like max loads. I have been using a wonderwad. I probably still can, if I back off a bit on powder. Does yours shoot high or low with 22 grs. ? The reason I'm interested in something besides Pyrodex is the supposedly lower corrosivity. I have a 2nd gen, and I'd like to go easy on it.
22 + 15% is 25.3 grains. 25 is what I use.

Pyrodex isn't that corrosive. I sometimes go two or three days without cleaning and I live in the humid south.
Old July 25, 2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Strafer Gott

25 grains of Pyrodex is quite respectable behind the little ball. Are you using a wad over the powder? Thanks
Old July 26, 2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
25 grains of Pyrodex is quite respectable behind the little ball. Are you using a wad over the powder? Thanks
Usually, not always.
Old July 26, 2012, 11:42 AM   #10
g.willikers

777 is all I've used for a long time, mostly to get away from the stink and fouling of both BP and Pyrodex.
It shoots about as clean as smokeless.
It's just fine, loaded correctly, but it will corrode if left in the gun too long.
Old July 26, 2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Strafer Gott

How long would you say is too long to leave it loaded w/777? Would a couple of weeks do, or is it more like days. I wonder about leaving Pyrodex loaded as well. I sure don't want to corrode anything.
Old July 26, 2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Hawg

You can leave Pyrodex loaded for years as long as no moisture gets to it. You probably really should clean it inside a week once it's fired tho. I've gone nine days HYMMV.
Old July 26, 2012, 02:55 PM   #13
Strafer Gott

The fact that 777 doesn't smoke or stink isn't really an added factor. For some reason you can find 777 for about the same money as Pyrodex. I've been using P or select Pyrodex in a percussion 1873. It came with 3 cylinders, and is dirty as hell, but if I wipe with a ballistol rag I keep in an old spatch can,
You can keep it rolling real smooth. I need to locate a couple more cylinders for the '51. I like to load off the gun, and I seem to be able to get the open top
reloaded faster with a cylinder change than a Remington or the 1873.
Old July 26, 2012, 03:24 PM   #14
Hawg

The last time I priced 777 it ran 10 bucks more than Pyro. It may be cheaper now but I kinda doubt it.
Old July 26, 2012, 05:01 PM   #15
North East Redneck

Strafer Gott-
I use the 15% reduction like Hawg stated.
Up close they hit a bit high, but I guess I've learned to site em so they usually go where I want. Aim low at close range, and aim for the center of the target out to my max of 25 or so yards. I am certainly no sharpshooter, but I'm happy with a three shot clover leaf at 15 yards anywhere in the target, I use small airgun targets (4X4, or 5X5) for most of my handgun shooting just because I have 100's of em. I also shoot cans, small logs and whatever else is available.
I loaded an older Pietta '51 with 777 and balls, capped five chambers, left it in the safe for 13-14 months, took it to the range, put a cap on the the uncapped nipple. All six chambers fired on the first hammer strike. Can't say that you will have the same results, and I'm not suggesting you do this, just telling you my experience.
I always have cleaned my BP guns within an hour or three of firing em.
Old July 26, 2012, 05:12 PM   #16
North East Redneck

Also, I dont think any substitute will corode anything untill its fired. I have zero expeience with real Black, but would think that unfired, it will not have any adverse effects either.
Old July 26, 2012, 05:37 PM   #17
Strafer Gott

Gentlemen, thanks for sharing your experience. I believe i might get a bottle of 777 and check it out.