The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 24, 2006, 04:51 PM   #1
hoytinak

Where to start?

Looking to buy a silencer for possibly my USP. I understand there is a $200 tax stamp plus some heavy paperwork and waiting involved. Can someone please point me in the right direction to get this started. Where do I apply?Thank you for any help in this area.
Old December 24, 2006, 10:08 PM   #2
Dave Haven

You'll need to file ATF Form 4 (in duplicate) with a recent photograph attached to each copy. (Passport photos are generally recommended) You also need to submit fingerprint cards with the Form 4, and your Chief Law Enforcement Officer needs to sign his approval on your Form 4. Submit all the paperwork to ATF with $200, and wait for their approval.
25 years ago, approval took about 4-6 weeks. I'm not sure how long it takes these days.

Find a Class 3 dealer in your area. He can help you with all the application details.
Old December 24, 2006, 11:31 PM   #3
MGRacer

The paperwork is really not that much. See these links for some help:

http://www.advanced-armament.com/owners.asp

http://www.srtarms.com/legalities.htm

Also, if you have not heard a suppressor in real life, you really should listen to one before you purchase -- most, especially 45ACP pistol suppressors are NOT Hollywood quiet. Also, all (that I am aware of) 45 ACP suppressors are "wet" suppressors and require the addition of coolant to achieve their best suppression. Most 9mm and smaller cans are dry cans.

The wait after you submit the forms to ATF was around a month for my most recent suppressor.
Old December 25, 2006, 03:37 AM   #4
hoytinak

Thanks for your replys...I talked to my sheriff back home and he linked me up with a Class III dealer to get the ball rolling.