The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2006, 09:16 AM   #1
Petre

Reloading NooB ... questions ...

Actually I'm not even a reloading noob cause I don't have the equipment yet , but will be getting some I think.

After shooting about 300 more .357 rounds last night , I'm starting to think to myself ... "This is starting to get expensive and I really like shooting so maybe it's time to find cheaper ammo." The only ammo I'm gonna find any cheaper than what I'm buying now would be to start reloading myself.

I know absolutely nothing about reloading other than you press the bullet into brass cases.

So my questions are.

1. Is it dangerous ? (I have pictures in my mind of bullets exploading in my face as I press them into the casing.

2. How much money can I really save ? The Ammo I buy for the range in bulk packs goes for about .15-.20 per bullet. Being that I typically shoot 1000 rounds a month , it's getting a bit pricey

3. Is there a big learning curve to making ammo that's safe to shoot , or if I'm not real careful , will I make ammo that destroys my guns?

4. Should I be saving all those casings I throw away, or is it prefereable to buy new ones?

Thanks for the answers in advance guys , from another PITA NooB.

Pete
Old January 21, 2006, 09:28 AM   #2
BIGJACK

Save all that brass and pick up what you can at the range. It is an expensive component of the round.

YES, GET YOU A RELOADING MANUEL. READ THE MANUEL AND FROM IT SELECT THE COMPONENTS YOU WANT, START WITH SOME BASIC RELOADING EQUIPMENT, PRESS, DIES LUBE AND 3 OR 4 BULLET WEIGHTS AND 3 OR 4 DIFFERENT TYPES OF POWDER AND LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.

Reloading is very safe, I have been reloading for more than 40 years and have never had an accident such as and explosion on the work tabe or etc. However, as handling any dangerous material, always wear your safety glasses.

GOOD LUCK
Old January 21, 2006, 09:42 AM   #3
Petre

Thanks BigJack ...

How much can I expect to spend per round ?
Old January 21, 2006, 09:47 AM   #4
drvector

research the topic

Petre

This site is a great place to research the topic. If you go to the “search this forum” button on the upright side of this page, you can find all of the posts and responses from other “newbes” asking similar questions. If you are interested in reloading, you’ll also find that the “ABCs of reloading” is recommended repeatedly here. Great book, only about $22, you can find it at any major bookstore (Amazon, Borders etc) or probably any shooters supply outfit on the web (Midway etc). With all of the times that I've recommended this book, I should be getting a sales commission. As a shooting enthusiast it’s a great reference even if you decide not to get into re-loading since it provides detailed (and enjoyable reading) about ammunition. I got to admit, a year ago I never would have thought that I would enjoy reading about the details of bullets. ...oh well.

regards
Old January 21, 2006, 11:21 AM   #5
BIGJACK

Petre, Its hard to say with out knowing what components you are using, but I would say between 25-35 cents if you have the brass. I would guess that its about 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of the "average" bullets since some bullets are a lot more expensive than are others.
When I started reloading it was about 1/10.
Old January 21, 2006, 06:48 PM   #6
caz223

You'll find this site is an excellent source of info.
Mine the search function for all it's worth, most of these topics have been beaten to death several times over.
Save your brass, definately.
I figured out the cost savings for my personal use for .357, I'll pass it on.
Primers, $15 per thousand in quantity, $20 locally per thousand.
Bullets, remington 125-140 grain, maybe $55- $60 per thousand. (I buy in massive quantities, at least 10,000, and get the big price breaks.)
A full snortin' load for 125 grain bullets runs about 14 grains of blue dot, so you'll need 2 pounds of powder per thousand, if you buy in quantity, it will be about $15, if you buy locally and pay retail, it MAY be over $20 per pound.
So figure 20 per k on primers, 60 per k on bullets, and $40 per k on powder.
$120 per thousand.
I used to buy magtech 125s, and pay $15 per box of 50.
It would take 20 boxes to make 1000, so 20 x 15= $300, you save well over 50%.
I factor in my time, and call it an hourly wage, if I don't make at least $10 an hour, it's not worth it to me.
My 550 turns out 400-450 per hour with me at the wheel, so I factor my estimates for 8 boxes per hour.
15-6=$9 saved per box.
8 boxes times $9 saved per box= $72 per hour.
Yeah, it's worth it, at least to me.
Those estimates are VERY conservative. There's much more to be saved with careful shopping, buying in quantity, and only shooting the loads you need, not the premium ammo you could easily make.