The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 19, 2005, 11:14 PM   #1
Big Yac

My first .454 Casull reloads

Well I shot my first .454 Casull reloads over the weekend. They all worked fine, not sticking in the cylinders and the accuracy wasnt bad. I did notice something when I deprimed them tonight to study the primers. The primers instead of having a nice rounded edge all had like a bur around them. Is this whats referred to as flattening of the primers? My load consisted of Win brass, Win SR primers, 30gr of Win 296 and a 300gr Hornady XTP Mag bullet. This load according to the manual is about halfway, the low is 29grs and the max is 31.5gr. Also I deprimed some of the 300gr, and 260gr factory Winchester ammo and the primers looked the same as my handloads. Is this a common thing in the .454 Casull?
Old October 20, 2005, 08:36 AM   #2
zeisloft

Yac, Sounds like good ammo to me. ***All Disclaimers in place*** A bit of flattening can be expected on that platform, I would start to worry when you begin to get "mirrored" primers and flow back around the firing pin strike. Run a finger across the primer and if it it "spikey" at the strike site, back er down.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old October 20, 2005, 05:34 PM   #3
Big Yac

by mirrored primers do you mean a very shiny appearance? I dont have that nor do I have any flow back around the firing pin. I'm going to put my gun on a bench this weekend and see if I can get her really dialed in, I think I"ll just keep this load I have now. Thanks.
Old October 21, 2005, 08:45 AM   #4
zeisloft

yes, hot loads will rough op the primers, kinda scuffed looking, too hot loads will go mirrored, completely flat and shiny. Yours sound good.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old December 9, 2005, 02:24 PM   #5
Blowtorch53

Yac,

I think Zeisloft hit it on the head. I have a Super Blackhawk .454. I have had the same look even to some factory loads I have used.

Don't know if it's my pistol or not but I have not had many problems with reloads. However, the first loads I shot were Hornady 240 grainers factory loads and they stuck in the chamber every time. Very sicky and needed a lot of help tapping them out. Found out from Hornady, they had a batch of soft brass. Had the same problem with CorBon 335 grainers factory loads but I almost expected it with those hot little pellets. Other then that, I have had experienced the same "look" on most of my ammo. and I think it is the nature of the pressure you are dealing with.

If you want some good accurate hunting loads just to try some factory stuff, try the stuff from Buffalo Bore. Good, hot, accurate ammo. As good or better than I can make myself.

"Money talks...BS walks."
Old December 9, 2005, 03:22 PM   #6
Big Yac

I have found the most accurate load for my gun using 300gr XTP MAG's and 30.5gr of 296. At 50 yards off a rest all the shots are touching eachother, not one big hole but more of a 4 leaf (6 leaf ) clover looking pattern. I'm happy. Another load, which doesnt recoil as much is 22gr of 296 under a 360gr Cast Performance bullet. My next load to try is 11gr of Titegroup and a Speer 260gr hollow point. Now I just need to get me a good scope for it, I'm between a Burris or a Leupold.