The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 23, 2001, 06:53 AM   #1
jadams951

How many of you have experience with the Speedfeed shotgun stocks? I just ordered the Tac-IV-S model. It's a full stock with pistol grip but without the extra shell carriers in the stock. It's supposed to be a bit shorter model that is supposed to be more geared to use for smaller persons or persons wearing body armor. Anyone got any experience, feedback, etc???
Old May 23, 2001, 07:35 AM   #2
LeadPumper

SpeedFeed

I have the SF III, (with extra capacity), pistol grip stock set on an older Mossberg 500. Well, had actually. After I installed it, I found the length of pull, (from trigger to rear of stock) was longer than the stock stock. It looked cool, but the pistol grip didn't fit directly behind the trigger guard. There was almost an inch of space between the two, hence the longer pull.

I checked to see if I had installed it correctly, I had. The older design of my Mossberg (20 years old or so) didn't work so well with the SF stock, so off it came and the origional went back on. I'm still looking for a Mossberg 500/590 to use it with...

The adventure continues.

-LeadPumper
Old May 23, 2001, 12:23 PM   #3
Romulus

My Speedfeed stock (no pistol grip w/ 4 shell tubes) is very well made to exacting specs...unlike a Choate I once had that was crudely fashioned...If I had to go synthetic on a shotgun, Speedfeed would be it

Don't know about the "tactical" stuff with pistol grip...
Old May 23, 2001, 05:35 PM   #4
curious

I have the same style as you on a moss 500. I am very pleased. There is one concern, if you take the trigger mechanism off to clean the gun regularly you will want to file down how the trigger mechanism fits into the stock. You will see what I mean when you get it and put it on. All it took me was a few swipes with a file and it was fine.
Curious
Old May 23, 2001, 08:18 PM   #5
Noah1234

curious is right

If you have the SFIII it will need just a little extra finishing to get the trigger group to slide in and out easily. I've also got a standard SF stock on my 590 and love it, another benefit of the SF stocks is the excellent recoil pads, they make buckshot or magnum rounds much easier on the shoulder.
Old May 23, 2001, 10:14 PM   #6
sparrow

I use the SF TACIV S on all my 870s and 1100s, they are one of the finest stocks available. They are short enough to use with webbing or armour, very strong, and the pistol grip/stock shape is the nicest one to use. Everyone I know with their 14" 870s use them. If you want to see some pics go to http://www.smokinggunfx.com and look under the movie guns gallery.