The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2013, 11:51 PM   #1
AL45

Need input on .45 Colt load

I am loading a 357 grain cast lead bullet from Hunter's Supply with 19.5 grains of H110, a Winchester large pistol primer in Starline brass. The bullets have 2 crimp grooves and I am using a heavy crimp on the bottom crimp groove. The O.A.L. is 1.71. Hodgdon shows a start load of 18 grains of H110 with a maximum load of 21 grains using a 360 grain cast lead bullet with an O.A.L. of 1.68. The 1.71 cartridges chamber fine in my Ruger Blackhawk and do not extend past the cylinder. I say all this to ask if anyone sees a problem with the longer O.A.L.? I am afraid crimping at the top crimp groove would seat the bullet too deep and cause excessive pressure. What do the experts think?
Old June 25, 2013, 01:21 AM   #2
black mamba

Bullets that heavy in loads that hot tend to jump crimp if not applied just right. The closer bullets are to the end of the cylinder, the closer they are to tying up the gun if they do jump. By going down to 18 grains with the shorter 1.68" COAL you can help solve that problem, though it still may occur. They'll still be more than powerful enough!
Old June 25, 2013, 04:31 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

If they drop in the chambers of your cylinder all the way to the rim no problem. When you are at the range load 6, shoot one and measure the rest for pull. Shoot another, and measure again, and so on until you get to the last round. IF you have seen no increase in lenght, load 5 more and repeat leaving the last of the first rounds in place. Repeat the checks again, just to be sure. If the last round it makes it through two cylinders worth of rounds with no increase you should be good to go.

ALso depending on just which BH you have you might go a bit more conservative with your loads until you find out just how much you really like.

I have a Redhawk and find that much over the RCBS 270 SAA is overkill even loaded into Ruger only levels. My main load uses a 255 - 265gr RFN design or HP I pour myself. I also have a mold which is a version of the 270 SAA which has HP pins as well and they shoot excellent, but I have yet to put on into anything on 4 legs just yet. It's not been for a lack of trying though. With cast loaded in weights from 200 through 310, I have found nothing wanting in accuracy nor penetration from the middle weights nor much of a need to actually get aggressive with the powder. The mid ranged loads have all out preformed any of my initial expectations.

If you haven't shot any of those big boys, you might be in for a sore knuckle so be aware of that trigger guard, it can and will bite. You might find as I did that even the 255gr bullets will penetrate way more than you think they will even at muzzle velocities down around 850 - 1000fps. Coupled with the nearly half inch hole they start off with, makes them a very formidable load. Even with my 454 my heaviest cast loads are only using the 300gr RFN at a modest 1550fps. I have run them up into the 1700fps range from the 8.375" Raging Bull and to be honest, if I needed that much power in a handgun, I would much rather have a rifle instead.

If you haven't had the chance look up the following and do a bit of research. You might find that you will be way more impressed with this fine old round without going to the extremes.

Linebaugh's Custom Sixguns

Taffin's Sixguns.com
Old June 25, 2013, 07:41 AM   #4
chiefr

Sounds to me like you doing thing right considering you have a SBH and Starline brass. IMHO, OAL can be a subjective issue as the biggest concern is whether the rounds interfere with the barrel & yours do not. I would just experiment between front and rear crimp groove and see which gives you the best results.

I agree with black mamba on crimping. If I learned one lesson on heavy bullets and hot load is crimp is everything.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

I agree that often we're just abusing the gun & ourselves... my deer hunting load in the Contender I hunt with ( uses XTP's currently ) makes my knuckles bleed before I get to the 10th round... I've found the heavy cast bullets maintain enough momentum that as hot a loads aren't needed to get the same "spank"... so I'll be switching over to cast bullets at a little lighter velocity in the next couple seasons
Old June 25, 2013, 07:48 PM   #6
AL45

Thanks for the input. I will check the other cartridges after each shot to make sure they're not jumping crimp. I have no plans for this load other than to satisfy my curiosity on these heavy bullets. The stoutest load I have used thus far is a 300 grain JSP with 22 grains of H110. Recoil wasn't bad, but it was noticeable.
Old June 26, 2013, 06:14 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

Redding Profile Crimp Die

I found the heaviest useful bullet in 45 Colt to be 335g.

Your load seems safe (from here ); just ensure minimal or better NO bullet creep.