The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 17, 2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Sweet Shooter

Vanguard S2 Not the rifle I "Want" right now.

My biggest investment in terms of ammo stash is the .223. I don't have that much but a couple of grands worth. My dilema is that I've slowed down shooting altogether. The Vanguard S2 is a fabulous rifle with a VX3. It is easily the most accurate gun I've ever owned and shoots about .75 as a routine.

I love it. But what I "want" currently is a M77/357 mainly because that's now my second biggest investment in terms of ammo (I've been shooting revolvers because it's working out cheaper).

My call for advice is should I let the S2 and my .223 ammo go, and take a slight loss on the rifle/glass/ammo to fund my new obsession. I found a 77/357 last week at the gun show but bailed at the last minute because I'm spending too much dough on gun stuff lately. Dang it all. Should I sit tight? Will the .223 become $hootable again? I'm even thinking that it would be cheaper—at least no more expensive—to get into the big rifles at this rate. I saw a Model 70 3006, beautiful wood with irons the other day that would be as commercially viable to shoot as the .223. And there's still a bit of 3006 on the shelves.

I know if I change anything right now my ammo stock would be depleted as a new investment doesn't go as far as it did a year ago.

What saw you? What are you all doing/buying/selling lately?

-SS-
Old April 17, 2013, 02:27 PM   #2
mattL46

I say get what you want. You only walk through this life once. If your not emotionally attached to the weatherby let it go. Sell part of your ammo maybe. Good idea to always keepsome around . I particularly don't hoard ammo. I won't pay crazy panic prices and wait in lines for it like sheep. I just let all the panickers get theirs and it will eventually even out sometime. So ammo has never been a real concern for me. I've 2 new rifles I haven't even been able to shoot thanks to the panicked. And I'll continue to wait patiently. Just my thoughts. Definitely get what you want. Can't take it with you when you go I don't see why not.
Old April 17, 2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Start reloading, says I.

$2,000 of factory ammo could have been $500 in reloading equipment PLUS 3,000 rounds of ammo, at least.
Old April 17, 2013, 02:36 PM   #4
mattL46

What Brian said! I meant to mention that. Another reason I don't hoard. I reload. Although components are as hard to get/ pricey as fact. Ammo.
Old April 17, 2013, 02:43 PM   #5
globemaster3

Do you NEED to seel it in order to fund the 77/357? If not, hold onto it. If so, then consider selling it.

Just realize that you hear repeatedly on this board folks lamenting getting rid of guns. Rarely do you hear them say "I wish I WOULD have gotten rid of XXXX"...

A .223 bolt has some good uses: varmints, target shooting, deer in some states. And t's got more range than your 77/357 will have.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old April 17, 2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Sweet Shooter

I didn't panic buy. I have always had a policy that I would buy two boxes and stash one of them—every time I purchase. I have done that for many years. I stopped reloading because I felt there were better uses for my time. Now I'm divorced I'm not sure that is true today. That Winchester sure was pretty. And a trip to the LGS just minutes ago shows there is a 12 foot shelf full of 3006 at the same price as it always was. 3030 is also still available as is 270 win and 2506. I suspect that this is because they are primarily hunting rounds.

-SS-

Edited—Typo

Last edited by Sweet Shooter; April 17, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 03:03 PM   #7
cvc944

Quote:
The Vanguard S2 is a fabulous rifle with a VX3. It is easily the most accurate gun I've ever owned and shoots about .75 as a routine.
Sounds to me like something you should keep. I faced the same decision back in the early 80's with a Weatherby Vanguard in .270. I had rifles like it, but still didn't part with it. Now every time I look at that beautiful piece of walnut and deep, rich bluing, I'm glad I decided to keep it.

Last edited by cvc944; April 17, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:26 PM   #8
mattL46

I wasn't suggesting that YOU were a panic hoarder. Just why I haven't been buying any myself. If at all possible try and keep the weatherby. Very nice rifle. Get you mod70 or 77/357 if feasible. It goes without saying that that's the ideal scenario.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:10 PM   #9
myfriendis410

If you can; keep the rifle. You will most likely regret it while sitting in your rocker on the porch watching the sunset fifty years from now.......
Old April 17, 2013, 10:14 PM   #10
Sweet Shooter

I know that to be true. Because I know how much I wanted this rifle after a few disasters with M700's. And all in all, it's a pretty capable cartridge. Thank you all for your views. I think I just need to go out and get a new cheaper rifle like a 30-30 lever or something just for a change.

-SS-
Old April 18, 2013, 07:58 AM   #11
cje1980

Never get rid of "a shooter". You'll regret it. I personally wouldn't get rid of a particularly accurate rifle.