The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 15, 2013, 09:09 AM   #1
spacecoast

Ammo shortage effect on ranges?

I haven't called my local range yet, but I have to believe that the disappearance of .22LR, 9mm, AR and AK ammo is going to hurt their business as people reduce shooting and increase hoarding to ensure they have enough until supplies come back.

What are you seeing out there?
Old January 15, 2013, 09:21 AM   #2
EdInk

My range does a lot of skeet/trap/sporting clays. Birdshot is still easily available so I don't think it will hurt them too much.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:36 AM   #3
southjk

I used to just buy my ammo at the range but they've been out of 22lr for a couple weeks now. Not out of anything else though. Good thing I found some locally recently and have some on order online.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:00 PM   #4
sigcurious

I don't ever go to the ranges here that sell ammo. It would be interesting to know though, since many, if not most, of the indoor ranges here offer full auto/select fire rentals for the tourists.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:19 PM   #5
dlb435

Our local police departments are having trouble getting enough ammo for the officers to do their semi-annual qualification.
I'm in Lousianna.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:17 PM   #6
cajun47

well maybe they would have enough ammo if they stopped officers from filling their pockets with stolen ammo at the range. louisiana fact.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Just went to my two favorite toy stores today and got the last 300 rounds of 22 CBee's. Also ended up with most of their 16 gauge, apparently not many people shoot it so it was there on the shelf for the picking. Good thing I called ahead and had him save a box of 44 mag for me because what he had was gone when I got there but there was a lot of .243, 45-70, 25-06, and both stores had a few thousand rounds of assorted brands of 22 LR. 12 and 20 gauge. Some dope bought up all his 10 gauge and he hasn't reordered it yet.

Apparently I'm the only one in this county who shoots 25-20 and 10 gauge. Oh well, I have my press and my brass and my dies now so it won't be feast or famine anymore.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 15, 2013, 05:56 PM   #8
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
I have to believe that the disappearance of .22LR, 9mm, AR and AK ammo is going to hurt their business as people reduce shooting and increase hoarding to ensure they have enough until supplies come back.
It has not disappeared. It is being resold at a big mark up. I imagine new gun owners are paying top dollar.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:14 PM   #9
spacecoast

Quote:
It has not disappeared. It is being resold at a big mark up. I imagine new gun owners are paying top dollar.
I'd like to know where the .22LR is. None around here for at least three weeks. I'm not desperate but could sure use a box or two (325 round box) of Federal Auto Match (for Bullseye shooting). All the online sources seem to be sold out.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:22 PM   #10
Alabama Shooter

How much do you want?

It is there but you will pay out the nose (or some other orifice)

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/23878

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?i...988&dir=18|831

http://www.ammobank.com/cgi-bin/csho....ctx=%3ATB-22A
Old January 15, 2013, 09:15 PM   #11
Come and take it.

Maybe we can ask the DHS to loan us some of the 750,000,000 rounds of ammo they purchased just before the election.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Buford_Tannen

Hey, thats a good idea. They release oil from the strategic reserve when there is a shortage. Which is what we have - right?
Old January 15, 2013, 10:49 PM   #13
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
My range does a lot of skeet/trap/sporting clays. Birdshot is still easily available so I don't think it will hurt them too much.
Our clay target club is getting worried - there is no reliable source or lead shot, powder or primers - let alone factory target ammo -this is the busy season with the snow birds here - if he doesn't make his money now, things will be grim indeed. I reload for practice at his club. With supplies very low, I am down to once per week from 3X per week - and I am not the only one
Old January 16, 2013, 12:42 AM   #14
johnwilliamson062

I think primers are made with the same machines for shotguns and brass cartridge guns. If there is a shortage of one there will soon be a shortage of the other. If nothing else, regular shooters will decide to practice shotgun instead of pistol and tear through any back stock.

Really, if they haven't put back any of the money from the last few years I won't feel bad for them.
Some of the hunting related things haven't seen a boom. Also, keep in mind it isn't that less ammo is being sold, but rather that a whole lot ammo is being sold. If they restrict to ammo bought there they may have to review that policy.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 16, 2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:17 AM   #15
coachteet

http://www.ammoman.com/c/19/40-smith-wesson

There's all kinds of 40cal ammo at ammoman. Not much else at the moment, but the prices seem reasonable. They had 7.62x39 last week.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:28 AM   #16
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
There's all kinds of 40cal ammo at ammoman. Not much else at the moment, but the prices seem reasonable.
That is $.10/ round higher for bulk than the LGS was selling per box here. I guess "reasonable" means different things to different people.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:49 AM   #17
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
That is $.10/ round higher for bulk than the LGS was selling
Key word there, so if the LGS has none, and no one else does, then .10 higher is more than reasonable. Besides, ALL ammo is going up, it always does at this time of year whether there is a panic or not. Tell us what your LGS' prices are when he gets (if he gets) his next shipment. AMMOMAN most likely raised their price to cover their increased replacement inventory cost