The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 14, 2007, 09:52 PM   #1
onlydriveford

new guy needs help

hey guys i just bought my first black powder and would like to know the best way to clean it and keep it rust free i have been checking the net all over and keep hearing different things, ie just use soapy water then lube, soapy water will cause rust, etc. too much crap out there and would like some info from experienced shooters please. also what is the difference between pyrodex and triple 7. i got triple seven cuz the only pyrodex at the place i went was 30gr and i wanted the fifty. also got 300gr powerbelt for my first load. any help is appreciated. thanks.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Hawg

Hot soapy water, then run a patch with bore butter or a good vegetable based lube down the bore. Use a vegetable based lube for the rest of it. You can spray WD-40 in the internals to displace any water there and lube afterwards. Keep it clean and oiled and it won't rust. Triple 7 is a lil hotter than Pyrodex or real bp. Pyrodex is supposed to be the most corrosive of the subs. I use Pyrodex because it's cheaper, don't use pellets either. I'm doing an experiment with a 58 Remmy. I fired it with 35 gr. loads of Pyrodex Friday afternoon. I haven't cleaned it yet. No rust yet either. Gonna see how long it takes to show signs of rust.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:23 PM   #3
onlydriveford

out of curiosity why would you suggest i not use pellets i purchased some to use initially(as i mentioned never used a bp before) for ease of loading, but if there are disadvantages i would like to know. do plan on using powder anyway though cuz it looks cool when loading it mostly
Old November 14, 2007, 10:38 PM   #4
K.A.T.

I use the 777 pellets in my in-line with the 300 grain powerbelt, and it works great for me. I like the powerbelts because they load a lot easier than sabots. I shot at least 20 deer with them with no problems. Some people say they have had problems with the bullet breaking up, I've not seen that.

The 777 is bad to leave a crusty ring in the barrel where it is ignited. Take a patch and lay it on your tongue to wet it, then run it down the barrel, turn it over and run the dry side down the barrel.This will help your accuracy while shooting at the range.Don't run a dry patch first, it will hang up on the crusty ring.

As for cleaning just use hot water, dry the gun out with a blow dryer, use borebutter inside the barrel.You can use what ever you want on the outside of the barrel. Petroleum based products do not work will inside a blackpowder gun, it turns into a black tar like substance, that is harder to clean.

Be sure to use an anti-seaze grease on your breech plug and don't over tighten it.
Old November 14, 2007, 11:01 PM   #5
Doyle

The ONLY positive thing you can say about pellets is that they are very convenient. They are notoriously inconsistent in actual charge - enough to cause significantly larger groups. They also tend to be worse at causing that dreaded crud ring.
Old November 15, 2007, 08:23 PM   #6
Pahoo

You are going to get too many opinionated opinions on this post and here I go.
If you shoot Black Powder or Pyrodex, make your first clean, hot soapy water. make your second clean, mineral spirits. I don't like this powder as they both have sulfur. Looks like you have an in-line so use loose Triple-7.
Triple-7, Clean Shot, American Pioneer, or Black-Mag 3, you can dispense with the first wash and go right to the mineral spirits washing and bore butter the bore as a last step. Go ahead and coat the outside with any lube you like such as WD-40. In short, I don't like any B/P, Pyrodex, hot soapy water and pellets. Keep in mind that some M/L shooters get all excited about the smoke and smell. Nor do I worry about how a 209 primer is going to perform so I also shoot a musket cap but you may not have that choice. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old November 15, 2007, 10:15 PM   #7
Raider2000

I personally like the REAL Black Powder but that is my opinion.

Cleaning a muzzle loading rifle has their personal opinions too but to many it will be agreed apaun that a pail of good ole hot soapy water, a cleaning patch & a good fitting jag is hard to beat in cleaning up Black Powder "& Pyrodex" fouling, then ofcorse a stiff bristled brush every once in a while for the possible lead build up "if you use any conicals that is."
There is some cleaners out there like Ballistol that will make cleaning similar to a modern rifle but for the cost IMHO Hot soapy water beats it hands down.
A few dry patches later, then use some Bore Butter "or what ever type of NATURAL lubricant you wish to use" to preserve the bore for the next outing, a little on the outside & your rifle will be your friend for years to come..

All this can take maybe 30 - 40 minutes for most inlines & some side locks a little bit more time for some of the more traditional side lock rifles but for the most part if you have a plan from start to finish it will not take much longer to clean & preserve your muzzle loader than it would to do the same with your modern high powered rifle.
Old November 15, 2007, 10:35 PM   #8
38splfan

Welcome.

Welcome, new guy

My best muzzleloading freind is a can of BALLISTOL. It can be found at most gun shops and cleans up most types of fouling pretty easily. Follow up with bore-butter or other BP-specific lube and you should be good to go.

Oh and by the way......

DODGE RULES ALL!!!!
Old November 16, 2007, 10:45 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
DODGE RULES ALL!!!!
Yeah, ok, whatever.
Old November 17, 2007, 08:43 PM   #10
38splfan

Sorry.

Sorry, just got back from Iraq and my welcome home present was an '89 Dodge Ramcharger. I love it and just had to gloat a little bit.
Old November 17, 2007, 08:53 PM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
Sorry, just got back from Iraq and my welcome home present was an '89 Dodge Ramcharger. I love it and just had to gloat a little bit.
That's fine. I was just teasing you. Thank you for your service.
Old November 18, 2007, 05:47 PM   #12
Pahoo

One thing that I would recommend to all that are new to Muzzleloaders, is to read a book by Sam Fadala. You can shoot first and then read his book or read then shoot. Either way, you will learn much. Dell has a few editions out and so does lyman. Just google his name and you will see his books. Some info is a bit over my head but most is right on. Good luck and enjoy a "great" adventure !!!
Old November 19, 2007, 12:35 AM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

I wouldn't use WD-40 for my nitro-cellulose guns yet alone any blackpowder guns. WD-40 leaves a film. Better to use a regular gun oil.
Old November 19, 2007, 01:21 AM   #14
Hawg

I'll spray WD-40 in the actions of my bp revolvers to displace water after cleaning so I don't have to take them completely down every time. Once it's dry I use Balistol to lube the actions and Bore Butter for bores, chambers and cylinder pins . You can get by using gun oil in bp actions but not in bores and chambers.
Old November 19, 2007, 04:07 AM   #15
Raider2000

HH:
I use Vegetable oil for the lubrication of the internals of my C&B Revolvers, I get the whole revolver as dry as I can with patches a towel & caned air then stick em in the oven @ 200*F for 10 minutes, then I have a spray bottle that I'll spray Vegetable oil over & into everything on it & leave it in the oven for another 10 minutes, when that is done I just wipe the outsides put everything back together & use Bore Butter for the chambers & barrel bore.

Only once a year I'll take my C&B Revolvers apart totally for inspection.