The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 31, 2006, 04:27 PM   #1
Pistolman1974

Da/SA Trigger

does anyone know of any drills (dry fire or live fire) or other ways of improving shooting with Da/Sa trigger?
Old December 31, 2006, 06:00 PM   #2
ISP2605

Practice double taps. That will get you use to transitioning from DA to SA.
Old December 31, 2006, 06:16 PM   #3
M1911

Lots and lots of dry firing.
Old January 1, 2007, 05:55 AM   #4
Jeff22

DA/SA transition

THE CONSTANT TRIGGER CONTACT TECHNIQUE
aka "Catching the Sear" or "Catching the Link"
works with nearly any self-loading semi-automatic fiirearm

1. Place your finger on the trigger so that the pad of your finger is in contact with the trigger. With your finger in position on the trigger, there should be some space between your finger and the frame of the weapon. This will allow you to pull the trigger straight to the rear, firing the weapon without disturbing its aim. If your finger is too far through the trigger guard, so that it lies along the frame, or if you have your first joint rather than the pad of your finger on the trigger, pulling the trigger could push or pull the weapon to the side.
2. Using smooth, steady pressure, pull the trigger straight back, letting the weapon fire. Keep your finger in contact with the trigger. Hold the trigger to the rear as the weapon cycles and another round is loaded into the chamber. The recoil may make your arms and hands rise slightly. Get the weapon back on target as soon as possible.
3. Allow the trigger spring to push the trigger—and your finger—forward only as far as needed for the trigger to reset for the next shot. You will feel and hear a click as the trigger resets.
4. Continue the same sequence for subsequent shots.

If you can do this, and avoid "slapping" or "bouncing" the trigger from shot to shot, your groups will tighten up. Many shooters have trouble with the DA/SA transition because they let their finger break contact with the trigger after firing that first double action shot, and as a result they "slap" the trigger to fire the subsequent single action shots, which usually results in shots going low.

It's critical that the gun properly fit your hand. If the grip is too big, and if your trigger finger contacts the side of the frame when you are shooting, you will have trouble getting good control on the trigger and may push or pull shots to one side or the other.

As a practice drill, beginning from low ready come up on target, fire one precise shot double action. Hold the trigger to the rear as the gun cycles and then let the trigger out only far enough to reset the sear, (you'll hear and feel a "click") and then press off another shot. Decock if necessary, and then repeat the procedure. With practice, your group size will shrink.
Old January 1, 2007, 11:18 AM   #5
OBIWAN

As stated...lots of practice

Practice the transition A LOT

And resist the temptaion to do most(if not all) of your shooting SA

I got rid of all my DA/SA handguns....

I shot them well, but simply did not see the point (for me)

I think they are a valid choice for lots of people, but I cringe whenever I see someone that NEVER shoots it DA...except MAYBE the first shot of their range session
Old January 1, 2007, 12:36 PM   #6
NCHornet

Buy a Glock and you won't have to worry about it!
Otherwise the only way to become use to the changing trigger is to practice, practice, and more practice. This is where reloading comes in handy!
Old January 1, 2007, 04:12 PM   #7
Pistolman1974

I have a glock and I really like it but I don't shoot as well with it as I do the sig.
Old January 9, 2007, 12:58 AM   #8
jrothWA

Go to ...

bowling pin shoots, and use DA for first round and SA for the rest.
Alway load/unload watching the pins, and quickly sight and stroke the trigger.
Old January 9, 2007, 01:15 AM   #9
theberettaman

http://beretta.squawk.com/fear_not.pdf
This link might help and give you a little insight to what's possible with a traditional DA/SA trigger.