The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 11, 2006, 12:01 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Any more advise for new shooter

An aquaintence of our group who has almost never fired a gun in his life prior to yesterday bought a Walther PPK .380 for defense and yesterday even thought about sooner or later getting a CHL. He had never fired his gun. He confessed he was nervous about having one because he knew almost nothing about them. We went to shoot yesterday, the man behind the counter gave him a crash course in how the PPK functioned (I was unfamiliar with that type of gun myself so I ask him to demonstrate for my friend), we went into the range, I started him out shooting a revolver (Ruger Security Six with .38 speical). After six shots getting him accustomed to the feel of a live gun, I loaded his PPK. He ask me to shoot first to see how to handle it live. I shot away (very accurate gun I might add). I repeated the 4 rules to him. Walked him through and let him shoot away. He kept trying to anticipate the recoil (to me it was there, but it wasn't bad...but I'm used to a .38 Special snub). His hand kept shaking as he tried to hold the gun firmly and pull the trigger. I kept telling him to breath easy and relax.
All in all, he did pretty good for a first time shooter. Most of his shots had fairly good groupings at 7-10 yards but were off the center a little. All of his shots hit the sillouette.
After everyone packed up and left, this fellow and I walked out of the shooting area and back to the gun couter area. He confessed he was still kinda scared about having a gun....but not as much as before. I told him to take the gun home, MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOADED, clean it, then become familiar with how it functions. With the gun pointed in a safe direction unloaded, dryfire it, get used to pulling back the slide, dropping the magazine, clicking off the safety. I then suggested he take a shooting lesson from the gun range we were attending and they gave him a brochure as well as a CHL course schedule.

Any other thoughts? Advice? Corrections?

Thank you
Old December 11, 2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Dwight55

The only other thing I would have done, Doug, . . . was probably bought him another box of ammo, . . . and and used it to encourage him to honestly try to get in a thousand rounds in the next 90 days or so, . . . if it is financially possible for him.

Not being a shooter, . . . he is at a definite disadvantage if the stuff hits his fan back at the old domicile. He will try to think his way through, . . . and that does not work when the stuff is flying around you.

He has made the decision to buy, . . . he has made the decision to use, . . . now he needs the confidence that he can shoot, . . . accurately, intelligently, and with purpose, . . . that only comes with weapon familiarization and lessons and lots & lots of shooting.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 11, 2006, 10:13 PM   #3
Hayley

Doug: I had a similar experience with a friend of mine. Even as we followed strict range procedures, he was clearly nervous with the unfamiliar potential lethality involved. J. is now, nearly two years on, a very responsible gun owner...and so is his wife. They love to shoot together (mine likes to do "household projects" Yuck!)

And he may look into an NRA beginner's course. He, as you probably already know, can check the NRA website for offerings in the area.
Old December 11, 2006, 11:28 PM   #4
Invicta

try to get him to go to the range on a regular basis. also being a beginner make sure he follows all the basic safety procedures, you can never be too safety concious.
Old December 12, 2006, 12:04 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

Get him on that course. Go with him if you think it'll help him.
Old December 12, 2006, 12:13 AM   #6
mete

Anyone who has a gun for defense is foolish not to get the best training he can find !!
Old December 12, 2006, 12:16 AM   #7
banditt007

Not that i dont love the PPK at all, and if thats the gun he bought to use by all means practice with that...but from the times i've shot them (.380) it is a very sharp and snappy recoil...more so than you would think it would be for a .380. i find a 9mm in a tad larger gun much easier to shoot. i beleive it has to do w/ the straight blow back action on it. beautiful gun though, one of my favorites.
Old December 12, 2006, 04:51 PM   #8
firemedic1975

If your new to shooting the only way to not be new is shoot as much as you can.
You HAVE to stand for something or you WILL fall for anything!!! American by birth SOUTHERN by the Grace of God!!! Colt Double Eagle .45, Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II .45, Sig 226 9mm, Ruger G100 .357 mag, S&W Airweight .38+p, Glock 23, Berretta Neo .22, (2) Yugo SKS's, 12 gauge Winchester 3 in, Marlin 30-30, H&K G-3 (91)
Old December 12, 2006, 06:13 PM   #9
AR15FAN

I'm in the get him a 9MM camp too, its a larger gun, easier to control but not too much recoil. Either that or a .38 revolver, I think new shooters are much more comfortable and quicker to learn with a revolver. That, in turn , builds confidence and allows growth.
Old December 13, 2006, 12:27 AM   #10
Gazpacho

A-Zoom Snap Caps

Get him a set. He can use them to practice loading and functioning his weapon, without fear of an accidental discharge. Also, he can practice dryfiring his weapon at various "targets" like badguys on the TV. A half hour every day or so would be fine.

Also, it might help him to get over his fear if he yells while he shoots. Tell him to "Let 'um hear your battle cry!"

Like many people, the PPK wouldn't be my first choice, but he has it, and it can be a good self defense weapon.
Old December 13, 2006, 12:56 AM   #11
skeeter1

Practice & more practice.

I've been shooting for 50 years now, and I had a great instructor, my dad, US Army.

It will take some time before your friend is comfortable with any firearm.

If you're not up to it, any range should have a RO who should be able to give him some pointers.

Best regards, and happy shooting to both of you!
Old December 13, 2006, 03:07 AM   #12
Doug.38PR

I'd be up to it. But I can only do so much. I am not around very often. Our group doesn't go shooting quite as much as it used to. Only about once a month at best. Going by himself or better yet taking a course would get him more practice and familiarization that anything I or any of my other shooting buddies can presently do