The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2005, 09:25 AM   #1
seth

Recommended "Newbies Kit" for handloading .44 special/magnum?

Hey guys,

I've long heard of all this talk on "reloading," and found some information about reloading cartridges, but these methods requried hundreds of dollars of tools....

Did a google search on handloading, but with all the talk of powder weights and gun jargon, I got lost...

I was wondering what is really required in handloading pistol cartridges like .38 special and .44 magnum---any machines required, or basic hand tools?

My question is: can any of the experts here provide a "Beginner's Handloader Kit List?" I would like a list of required tools, training, parts, powder, etc.... keep in mind, I will NOT be reloading to use hot loads, I will be using reloads as cheap, LOW POWERED target rounds.

Thanks!
Old December 7, 2005, 09:49 AM   #2
Leftoverdj

Seth, you can start with the Lee Loader kit in .44 Special/.44Mag for $20. All you need to go with it are components, a mallet, and a board with holes bored into it. It's dreadfully slow, 50 to 100 rounds an hour, but it'll get you started and pay for itself in 2-3 boxes. I suggest the .44 because there is no cheap ammo for that.

One step up would be the Lee Aniversary Kit for about $70 plus the cost of dies. It's a faster and more flexible.
Old December 7, 2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Ruger4570

Seth: I would say to go to the Anniversary model. The "hand" method as posted is painfully slow. It almost takes the fun out of reloading. It is a good way thought for someone that doesn't expect to shoot too many rounds. It also can be packed with some components and you can reload at the range or in the field which can be good. There are many good reloading products out there but Lee products will get you into reloading cheaply.
Old December 7, 2005, 12:28 PM   #4
Jeeper

44 mag was the first caliber I ever loaded. It is a good place to start since the ammo is sooooooo damn expensive. If you go with a cheap plated bullet or good lead then you can save a ton. I bought a rockchucker master kit and still have all of it 12 years later. Of course now I also have about 20 times as much stuff. I still use the press for all my rifle loads. If you think you will use it then dont buy something cheap that you will need to upgrade later. I hate buying stuff twice.
Old December 7, 2005, 07:47 PM   #5
seth

thanks for the replies; I'll look into the Lee Anniversary handloader kit.

Ideally, I'd like to get my reloaded .44 special/.44 magnum target rounds down to the cost of a box of standard factory 9X19 or .38....