The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 24, 2012, 09:42 PM   #1
zombieslayer

Who here LOVES .410's???

I've been sitting out in my barn playing my mandolin and every so often I see a rat. Maybe my music charms them, idk. But I just keep my .410 Mossberg bolt action nearby for rats and such.
This recent rat kill has reminded me of how great the .410 is for pest control. I grew up hunting with one and have always had a soft spot for them.
So who else here uses a .410 around the farm/property?
Any fond memories of growing up shooting .410's?
Old February 24, 2012, 10:58 PM   #2
ltc444

Started hunting with my grandfathers H&R .410. Took a lot of rabbits, sparrows, starlings,snakes and bottles with it.

My cousin, who still has the gun, has started his grandson on the old shotgun. If all goes well it will see another 4 generations.
Old February 24, 2012, 11:00 PM   #3
kmaysob

ive never actually shot a .410. grandma has one in the closet ill shoot one day
Old February 24, 2012, 11:03 PM   #4
zombieslayer

I started hunting very early with my Papa's H&R also.
Old February 25, 2012, 01:24 AM   #5
olddrum1

I have an open ended shed that gets flooded with Startlings in the spring. They make a mess of the shed if I leave them in it to long. I have a 410 that I take out to thin them with. Kinda like Farmboy trap.
Old February 25, 2012, 02:11 AM   #6
Sphawley

I love my H&R .410 single shot...it's a blast for rodents and even clays here and there!! Best $80 I have spent in a long while!
Old February 25, 2012, 02:29 AM   #7
PawPaw

I've got one in the attic, but my grandsons jumped immediately to the 20 gauge. My lady has a .410 pump, given to her by her father. It's her shotgun for the squirrel woods and the annual clay shoot in the back pasture. That little gun has accounted for bushels of squirrels and rabbits over the years.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 25, 2012, 04:31 AM   #8
GM2

I still have the little Winchester 410-Single Barrel I hunted with when I was very young. Lots of squirrels in the pot for my grand dad who loved them with dumplings
Old February 25, 2012, 08:11 AM   #9
WV_gunner

I've got 2 .410s, fun guns to shoot.
Old February 25, 2012, 10:19 AM   #10
gunut

I have a winchester 42 that was my uncles...have never shot it...probably would if I hunted squirrels or rabbits, but I dont..just upland birds and waterfowl...
Old February 25, 2012, 10:21 AM   #11
shoptroll

I've taken quite a few squirrels and even a ringneck with a NEF .410 and my oldest brother has taken a few turkey with a .410 Remington 1100.
Old February 25, 2012, 11:45 AM   #12
Lemmon

Chuck's Grandaddy's single shot 2 1/2 inch 410

When I was much younger my cousin Chuck would bring his granddad's single shot 2 1/2 inch 410 to hunt squirrels with. He was one year older than me and my younger brother and we followed him around in the Oaks. Our job was carrying his ammunition and dead squirrels that he had gotten. I do not remember if he ever cleaned the squirrels himself or if he gave them to someone else. That was a lot of fun and helped me enjoy hunting myself. The only 410 that I have is a Thompson Center 45/410 10inch pistol. Great for killing mice, field rats and other creatures that I feel are varmints.

Lemmon
Old February 25, 2012, 11:53 AM   #13
zombieslayer

Here in the Florida lowbush the rabbits are something I grew up hunting and eating.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who still shoots clays with one, too. I guess the .410 to me, has such a sentimental value. I remember my great-grandfather,a real florida cracker and a true cowboy, telling me "anything there is in the lowbush you want to hunt, you can get with a four-ten". He killed everything from snakes to deer with his. It was old and had a nickle reciever with a bit of engraving scrolling but no manufacturer marks. I remember the barrel being the longest barrel anyone had ever seen on a .410.
Old February 25, 2012, 12:28 PM   #14
FairWarning

My first shotgun at age 10 was a H&R single shot .410. Great squirrel and rabbit gun. I even went deer hunting with it a few times with 2.5 " slugs, although I never got a shot before moving on to Winchester single shot 20 GA as I got older. Probably a good thing, as I would have had to make one heck of a shot to drop a deer with that!

By the time I got my first 12 GA pump (still have it ), squirrel hunting seemed too easy, so I reverted back to the 20 GA for anything smaller than deer (not including fowl).
Old February 25, 2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Deja vu

the first shot un I ever fired was an old SXS 410. I killed a lot of bottles and a few sparrows with it.

After that I went straight to a single shot 10ga.

I now have settled on the good old 12ga.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 25, 2012, 07:13 PM   #16
TurkeyOak

My first gun was a .410 SnakeCharmer. Loved it but gave it to a friend that liked it.
Im thinking about a pump .410.
Old February 25, 2012, 07:49 PM   #17
rburch

Love my lil youth 410 single shot. It was my 1st gun.

Full choke so I can actually hit clays at a distance most people claim ain't possible.

I love taking it out and running through a box or two.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old February 25, 2012, 10:12 PM   #18
Boncrayon

Who here LOVES .410's???

Shot my grandfather's .410 at a chicken snake that was hold up in a gofer hole. It was a break open single shot. It was the first shotgun I ever shot. I was hooked in the joys of hunting at that point...perhaps 6 or 7 in age. A 410 guage is a delightful shotgun, and you can carry a pocket-full of ammo for rabbit, squirrle and game birds.
Old February 26, 2012, 09:14 AM   #19
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Just picked up another 150 rounds of Golden Bear 4B and 40 rounds of Remington slugs for my Mossberg Model 183KE. I thought I had enough for several years but some dang fool finds that little gun to be fun to shoot and it just will not stay in the closet where it belongs.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 26, 2012, 09:49 AM   #20
barnetmill

The main attraction as an adult for the .410 are the handy and often simple guns built to fire it. the handiest are old savage over and unders. Even just in .22lf and .410 you are ready for a lot of things.

Down side is the cost of the shells compared to 12 gauges. But if you reload the cost should be more reasonable. Probably can get a reasonable amount of 00 buck or maybe even some 000 handloaded into a shell for close and personal encounters with larger animals.
Old March 2, 2012, 07:59 PM   #21
Prof Young

Yes, love my 410

410 Lovers
I didn't start hunting until I was an adult. My first purchase was a mossberg pump action 410. It's still my favorite gun. Taken lotta squirrels and rabbits with it. Not to mention the occasional crow.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old March 5, 2012, 02:07 PM   #22
PoorRichRichard

H&R Topper 158 in .410. Best cottontail gun I own.
Old March 5, 2012, 05:36 PM   #23
markj

I am starting to. I have a dog I am training for field trials, yes I do dogs. Been using pen raised quail and a 410 double. Use a short shell and 1/2 oz load. Killed every one I have shot at. Saturday took a long shot and dropped him dead. Pup is right on them, doing well so she is running Saturday for her first time. I used to use a 22 but it is a sharp sound and not as natural as the 410. Swings great and shoots straight. I actually traded a pup last litter 3 years ago for this and a 30-30 not bad I must say.
Old March 5, 2012, 07:45 PM   #24
dennis228

My first shotgun was a Stevens Model 311 double bbl. 410 with 3 inch chambers, 26" bbl. and double triggers. Color case was very nice. What a nice gun. Dad gave it to me for Christmas when I was 14. Took many rabbits, woodcocks, crowns, and assorted vermin over the years. It was stolen from Dad's house while I was in the Army. I was broken hearted. Guess I still am a bit. Never was able to find another locally like it but I did find a nice Stevens 311 in 20 gauge. But that 410 was my first love.
Old March 6, 2012, 03:10 AM   #25
bamaranger

you bet

My best memories with my Dad are rabbit hunting with beagles and .410 shotguns. We had single shots, pumps and bolts over the years and killed a lot of bunnies.

There is a Win 37, .410 at the back door by the water heater now. Its primary mission is pests, mostly snakes in warm weather. Bought the gun, which is in good shape, 20+yrs ago. Was passing thru our little town down the road,and there was this shotgun leaning against a tree in the frontyard of the guys house, with a sign...4-sale.....I kid you not.

Stopped and talked to the old boy, bib overalls, no shirt..."I gotta have $50.00 bucks for it". No problem.
Closed Thread