The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 20, 2004, 05:13 PM   #1
rongrzywacz

Rem 760 Trigger Adjustment

Is there any way to adjust the trigger pul on a rem 760. I've inherted one from an uncle and it has a hard trigger pull.

Thanks for any help.
RG
Old December 21, 2004, 08:10 AM   #2
BHP9

They are like the shotguns, nothing to do, except the trigger spring, but that's if you know what pressure the original is.

My advice is just give it a thorough cleaning and lubing with a little KleenBore TW25 grease on the hammer and sear engagement surfaces.

BHP9
Old December 21, 2004, 11:10 AM   #3
Jim Watson

At one time Timney would work over Remington trigger groups, I know a guy who had one done and it came out very nice. Don't know if they still do, the service is not on their web site. Call 'em up and ask.
www.timneytriggers.com
Old December 21, 2004, 01:04 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you mean "adjustable" by turning screws or something like that, no. But a gunsmith can work over that trigger pull the same way as any other trigger/sear/hammer combination. I would not recommend a DIY job, though.

Before you do anything, though, try pulling out the trigger group and doing a thorough cleaning job by washing it out in Kroil or (dare I say it?) gasoline, then dry and apply good gun oil to the pivot points and moly grease to the sear and hammer. You might find the result acceptable.

Also, try just working the gun a bit. If it was not used a lot, a little wearing in could also help a lot.

Jim
Old December 21, 2004, 05:41 PM   #5
rongrzywacz

I've seen some replacement springs on Ebay for the 760. Has anyone ever tried one of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Thanks For the feedback,
RG
Old December 21, 2004, 11:47 PM   #6
Lawyer Daggit

760 trigger adjustment

If it is like the 7600 it is not adjustable and there is not really anything a gun smith can do with it. With a bit of practice though the one on my 7600 35 whelen will allow me to shoot very accurately.
Old December 26, 2004, 08:36 PM   #7
HunterTRW

The traditional rule of thumb states that trigger-pulls should be set at one-half the weight of the gun: e.g., a seven-pound semi-automatic should have the trigger set at three and one-half pounds. For guns with double triggers, the second trigger is typically set at one-half pound heavier than the first.

As for do-it-yourself work in regulating the trigger-pulls of your gun, my recommendation is DON'T! This kind of work is best left to an experienced, properly equipped gunsmith.

Good luck, and good shooting (with properly adjusted pulls)!

Last edited by HunterTRW; December 26, 2004 at 09:14 PM.