The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 10, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1
JohnH1963

Do strobe lights work in tactical situations?

In the following video is the Fenix L2d which has about the same illumination as the Mag-Charger. It works on 2 AA batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpFnThZXG4I

There is even a larger light which Fenix has which has 3 times the power and uses 8 AA batteries.

Each of these lights has a strobe mode. Does the strobe mode work in tactical situations? When confronting someone on your property...a stranger...would it be best to use the strobe mode? What do you think?

BTW, Fenix makes a 1 AA version of the light which is 3 inches long or about half the size of a dollar and fully pocketable. That version has a little more light then a 3 Cell-maglite and would make the perfect urban survival flashlight...
Old May 10, 2010, 11:28 PM   #2
sakeneko

I wouldn't use a strobe light. They disorient me badly, especially after dark, and I get headaches if I'm exposed for more than a few seconds. Now, they *might* have that effect on an attacker, but before you try it, I'd suggest making very sure that you wouldn't disable yourself more than the other guy.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:32 PM   #3
qcpunk

That could be the wrong way to discover that you're epileptic.......

But really, I don't personally care for strobes in SD situations. Yes they are very disorientating to the BG, but they can also be just as disorientating for the User as well.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old May 11, 2010, 05:56 AM   #4
juntau

Probably just have to experiment and constant practice.
Old May 11, 2010, 07:49 AM   #5
Bill DeShivs

A standard light can be "strobed" by simply wiggling the beam across someone's eyes. There is no need for a strobe on a flashlight, IMO.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Maromero

A strobe light provides exelent results when matted to a disco ball.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:54 AM   #7
ZeSpectre

I have one light that has a strobe function. It's supposed to be disorienting after dark.

So one night the wife humored me with a little experiment. I had her stand a distance away, hold the light in my eyes, and run at me. I was fairly blinded but I could tell that she was coming at me.

Then I had her do the same thing with the light in strobe mode...and I was quite startled when she touched me because the strobe effect somehow completely disabled my depth perception and I could not tell that she was getting closer to me.

I don't know if it works that way for everyone but it was quite an interesting test for me.
Old May 11, 2010, 09:01 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

I have a couple of lights that have the strobe feature, but it is a feature that I didn't particularly want and haven't been particularly impressed with. As noted above, they can disorient some people including those using the light via what is reflected back at them. Other people aren't bothered by it at all. My daughters liked playing with my light for dancing after dark.

What I find bothersome about the strobe feature is that it can actually help to delay the recognition of furtive movements by the person on whom the light is trained and strobing. You get a sort of stop-motion animation effect which means the person's movement appear in a series of frozen stages that hides much of the sense of motion and hence delay your identification of the furtive movement.

If you have any doubts, go in a dark room and have a person train the strobe on you. Then with another person, attempt to do some light, open-handed sparring where the goal is to touch the other person's body with your hand, but the other person is to try blocking your assault while at the same time trying to touch your body with his hand. The attacks will have a high level of success because the person blocking will miss most of your movement because of the periods of time when the light is off and because of the stop-motion appearance of your movements.
Old May 12, 2010, 11:14 AM   #9
Rocked

Cant remember exactly, but I believe there was a bank security system that sealed the doors and pumped smoke into the room. Then a strobe light came on which was amplified by the smoke, making coherent movement almost impossible.

But at the same time, smoke detectors often have a strobe light attached as well. Though much slower pulse than most flashlights. And studies of those have shown how much it can aide even in pitch black room. Perhaps since the strobe is placed in one position you can gain a quick picture of your surroundings. Its almost like echolocation.