The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 8, 2009, 11:03 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Industrial Hard chrome over blued v. stainless

How much of an advantage would you way there is to having stainless steel underlying hard chrome v. blued steel?
Old May 8, 2009, 11:11 AM   #2
smoakingun

are you talking about a finish?
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:25 AM   #3
johnwilliamson062

if I have the option of buying a stainless gun or a blued gun, then having the IHC coating put on it, would there be any advantage to having the stainless.

THe gun is available in stainless or blued, is there any reason I should pay more for stainless if I am going to get an IHC finish added anyways?
Old May 8, 2009, 11:43 AM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
is there any reason I should pay more for stainless if I am going to get an IHC finish added anyways?
No.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:56 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

scorch is not doing a very good job of convincing e to waste my money on firearms...

The stainless is still harder than the hgh carbon steel. If the IHC coating failed(scratch or high wear location) I the stainless would be there to back it up v. the blued steel.

anyone actually seen an 1894 marlin in 357 mag for sale anywhere? What price? Everywhere I call they tell me they can't get them and try to sell me a Puma 92.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:25 PM   #6
CowTowner

You'd have to call them........

SportingArms.com may have one. They show both the Cowboy and the 1894C.
http://sportingarms.com/results.asp?...=FIND+FIREARMS

Call or email and ask.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 8, 2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

There would be very little advantage to chroming a stainless gun.
Old May 8, 2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
scorch is not doing a very good job of convincing e to waste my money on firearms...
Sorry, I must be slacking off. I'll try harder.
Quote:
The stainless is still harder than the hgh carbon steel.
Not necessarily. 416 stainless is not all that hard, and firearms are not heat treated to be hard, but to be tough. The primary advantage of hard chrome is corrosion resistance (which you don't have to worry about much with stainless) and scratch resistance (which you do have to worry about with stainless. For stainless, HC would add the advantage of galling resistance.
Old May 9, 2009, 02:58 PM   #9
smoakingun

do you plan on tossong this gun in the bottom of a boat never to see daylight again?
why are you so worried about corrosion? as long as you don't leave it wet for days on end, the stainless should never rust
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old May 9, 2009, 03:34 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

I was more planning to drag it on a line behind the boat.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:51 AM   #11
koginam

Stainless barrels are mainly 416-R which does rust if in contact with moisture for a prolonged time, Now it is a surface rust that doesn't penatrate very deep unless its damp for a very long time. I have seen barrels rusted while in a gun cabinet in Georgia from the humidity. For many years I have hard chromed barreled actions for use along coast lines and aboard ships. Bob Coagan of accurate plating http://www.apwcogan.com/ offers a great job with a guarantee of no rust after 300 hours of direct salt spray.
Old May 15, 2009, 07:47 AM   #12
johnwilliamson062

apwcogan is who I am intending to use.