The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 13, 2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Only S&W and Me

Robber at AA Meeting Meets Fate

How stupid can this guy be...they have no money there!

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?...=72491&catid=2

A robber who walked into the Columbia downtown Alcoholics Anonymous center, pulled out a gun and demanded money was killed in a burst of gunfire from an AA visitor’s gun, police said.

“Gimme what you got,” witnesses quoted the robber as saying when he entered the AA building at 2015 College St. in Five Points about 10:48 p.m. Saturday. They said he brandished a .25-caliber handgun.

At that point, as one AA visitor dropped something on the floor — possibly his wallet — another AA visitor pulled out his own pistol and shot the robber “multiple times,” police said.

Columbia police reported that an 18-year-old man who attempted an armed robbery of an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting late Saturday night at the ACOA Club at 2015 College St. in Five Points was shot and killed by someone in the meeting who police say carried a legally concealed handgun.

Kayson Helms, 18, of Edison, N.J., was pronounced dead at Palmetto Health Richland at 11:24 p.m. Saturday.

Helms was identified by Richland County Coroner Gary Watts. His office notified the next of kin.

An autopsy Sunday showed bullets hit Helms in the abdomen, chest and neck, Watts said.

The AA visitor who fired his weapon and killed the suspect had a concealed weapons permit, police said.

Police declined to identify the shooter, saying an investigation is under way.

Police said they expect to release more information today after noon.

This is the second time in five weeks that a person with a concealed weapons permit has killed a person in the Midlands.

In early March, an Irmo pizza delivery man shot and killed an attacker who telephoned in a phony order. In that case, pizza man Christopher Miller shot and killed Paul Andrew Sturgill, 17, as Sturgill and three others tried to rob him, police said.

At twilight Sunday, the Columbia AA center, a popular destination in the city’s Five Points area, was deserted. A sign on the front of the low-swung block building read, “No Money Left in Club Overnight.”
Old April 13, 2009, 11:11 PM   #2
SavageMOA

+1 for CCW
Old April 14, 2009, 04:26 AM   #3
Popa-45

ood guys

let's hear it for the good guys
Old April 14, 2009, 04:36 AM   #4
hoytinak

Good job....that'll teach people that ya don't mess with anyone possibly going through withdrawls.
Old April 14, 2009, 04:55 AM   #5
Dingoboyx

Well the BG did say......

"Gimme what you got" Unfortunately someone had some LEAD

The guy was just doing what he was told Unfortunately for the BG, the lead was sent express... I'd say about 1500fps

I'll drink to the shooter
Old April 14, 2009, 08:08 AM   #6
GuyMontag

What a great story to start my day with.
+1 for the good guys.
Old April 14, 2009, 08:28 AM   #7
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I have no doubt that the guy doing the shooting felt his life was in danger, it very may well have been, especially when nobody had any money to cough up. Certainly a lawyer for his defense will argue that very fact. My question is, what are the legal consequences for the CCW shooter in this case? Do prosecutors usually give CCW shooters a hard time or, particularly in a case like this, do they automatically consider the shooting justifiable and let the guy go? I suspect a place like Massachusetts is going to put you through the ringer now matter what the circumstances, what about SC, where this occurred?
Old April 14, 2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Stevie-Ray

Sheesh. It's getting so a criminal can't make a dishonest living.
Old April 14, 2009, 11:40 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I don't know about anywhere else but in Florida, a clean shoot (certainly sounds like one to me with available info) results in a hand shake and return of firearm... With good eyewitness' with consistent statements it is going to be deemed a good shoot real quick!
But we don't have to even look for an escape route let alone try to escape here!
Brent
Old April 14, 2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My question is, what are the legal consequences for the CCW shooter in this case? Do prosecutors usually give CCW shooters a hard time or, particularly in a case like this, do they automatically consider the shooting justifiable and let the guy go? I suspect a place like Massachusetts is going to put you through the ringer now matter what the circumstances, what about SC, where this occurred?

On the surface, it appears to be a justifiable shooting.
There is a clear threat. You can not safely retreat from a threat with a gun so even if the law requires retreat it would be void in this case.

The wisdom of the shoot is another question. We will probably never have a good feel for what was being seen and heard and interpreted by the people in that room so it's pretty hard to question his actions.

Maybe shooting was a good choice, maybe not, but I doubt the legality can be questioned.
Old April 14, 2009, 11:52 AM   #11
golfnutrlv

I agree with what happened, good for the armed citizen.

Do you see how the media is trying to spin it though? Make us look like coldblooded killers? Disgusting!!

+1 to the good guys, and keep up your guard all!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old April 14, 2009, 11:59 AM   #12
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Yup. Hoo-rah for the good guy, and "plus 1" for CCW.

However....

Tactics?....

Training?....

Don't see none of the above .

Closed as a drive-by.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread