The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 23, 2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Ozzieman

Copper removal from a rifle barrel using electrochemical bore cleaning.

Copper removal from a rifle barrel using electrochemical bore cleaning.

A friend of mine uses this and gives it high praise. Wondered if anyone here has used this process to remove copper?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid%3...nclined-Part-I

http://lovemyguns.com/
Old November 23, 2011, 01:21 PM   #2
tim s

It's expensive, time consuming, and essentially the long way around a fairly straight forward issue. We have several quite good solvents to deal with copper, all available for 10 bucks or so. Montana, Butch's, Sweets, Wipeout, JB, take you're pick they all work well.
Old November 23, 2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Ozzieman

Tim s, I’m not too sure I agree with you. I have used Butch’s and Wipeout and No9.
This is not a process you use every time you clean the gun, this is a once a year to remove ALL of the copper fowling. This would be used more for bench rest guns.
His is a 22-250 that I was shocked at the ammout of crap that came out of the barrel after cleaning it with Butch's and appeared to be very clean.
Time consuming yes, but a lot easier on the bore.
Old November 23, 2011, 01:57 PM   #4
tim s

A. it's not a lot easier on the bore and B. if you're shooting a 22-250 and you're addressing copper once a year, process is not your primary issue. Most casual riflemen are not particularly well versed at proper, REGULAR, bore maintainance. I think you'd agree this serves as a good example. your buds issue is not more complex, just more time consuming since now he has probably several layers of carbon and copper laying in there. Still only 10 bucks.
Old November 23, 2011, 02:27 PM   #5
50 shooter

Another good copper solvent is BoreTech's Eliminator copper solvent, it's a surfectant and lifts the copper off the barrel steel. I use it in my 50 and it does a great job, simple to use.

Another thing is to use is a stainless jag as brass will give you a false positive, that and stainless bore brushes work great. Some might not agree but they will not harm your barrel. More barrels are warn out by shooting out the throat or improper use of cleaning rods (dragging on the throat). A good bore guide is needed for your rifle to protect it.
No time for rearranging.
Old November 23, 2011, 03:02 PM   #6
tim s

Really, somebody told you steel brushes are OK for a bore?
Old November 23, 2011, 03:08 PM   #7
50 shooter

You would be surprised at how many people use SS brushes to clean their rifles.
No time for rearranging.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:13 PM   #8
bfoosh006

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...ANING-COMPOUND.... and
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...eg-BORE-BRIGHT

I've used these for years... love 'em.
Old November 23, 2011, 06:35 PM   #9
wogpotter

I use the synthetic brushes with the pot metal alloy corkscrew. I haven't had a false copper read from one yet.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 23, 2011, 07:08 PM   #10
mehavey

One picture is worth a thousand words.
But two pics............?

Old November 23, 2011, 07:59 PM   #11
tim s

50 Shooter,

No I really would'nt be surprised about SS brushes, I would'nt be surprised to hear somebody trys to push a dead racoon through a rifle barrel, and trust me they WILL harm your bore.
Old November 24, 2011, 07:43 AM   #12
Sport45

How's a dead racoon going to hurt the barrel? As long as you don't let any blood set too long it'll be fine.

I like the Boretech solvent. It gets copper out like nobody's business and there's no risk of leaving it in too long.
Old November 24, 2011, 09:26 AM   #13
wogpotter

Quote:
somebody trys to push a dead racoon through a rifle barrel

Old November 24, 2011, 09:37 AM   #14
rickyrick

Never know what you miss when skipping threads. LOL glad o read this one
Old November 24, 2011, 03:52 PM   #15
wogpotter

It was getting a bit intense & personal so I decided to lighten it up a tad.

Old November 25, 2011, 06:28 PM   #16
Ozzieman

Wogpotter, I was trying to ask a serious question,,,,
Now I have to wipe the spit off my keyboard from laughing so hard.
THUMBS up Wogpotter.
Old November 25, 2011, 07:21 PM   #17
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Well you got a half dozen responces from people that have never used the Foul Out , but know a better way . My son bought a used Ruger 77 MK II lefty in .300 Win. Mag . We are avid handloaders , so we went to work trying to work up loads that would give good accuracy and velocity . That rifle wouldn't group anything we tried , including several factory loads . So I got to lookig at that gun real hard . The bolt face had a very distinctive primer ring around the firing pin hole . I gave it a good scrubbing ( again ) and couldn't get a white patch out of it , still wouldn't shoot . A local smith had a Foul-Out so we let him have a go at that bore . I went back the following night to pick it up . He told me that he wanted to give it another treatment because the crap that came out of if was nasty . So the following night I went and got it . Evidently the previous owner was a handloader that shot alot of hot loads through it , without much maintainence !
We took it back to the range the following day , with some hand loads that my .300 likes . It was like a totaly different gun , it had become an moa shooter with a load that wasn't even made for it . I bought the Foul-Out II when it came out and have used it quite often on bores that were badly fouled . As far as I'm concerened it's the easiest , most thorough way to ensure that a bore is as clean as it can be . If you know that a rifle was clean when it got into your hands , regular cleaning with a good copper solvent is all that's needed . That was like 17 years ago , that rifle has accounted for at least two dozen Whitetails , a few bear and a big black Canadian Wolf .

Last edited by oneoldsap; November 25, 2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Hoppes Foul-Out
Old November 25, 2011, 10:25 PM   #18
mrawesome22

I feel pushing a rod with a jag and patch has to enhance barrel dynamics. It is all going in the same direction. Surely it has a smoothing effect?

I am sure the electro stufff does a good job. But no tlc with patches going on the same path the bullet goes.
Old November 26, 2011, 10:39 AM   #19
wogpotter

I'll be honest. I have not tried the electronic cleaners, why? because I've never found a need for one.
I'm not saying they don't work, but my "let the solvent do the work & wipe out the dissolved residue" technique keeps my bores clean enough for accuracy that is beating the manufacturer's specs by 100% so I just don't feel a need to change what to me is a working technique.

Glad I could give you all a good laugh in the process.

Old December 13, 2011, 11:26 AM   #20
wachtelhund1

I also use an Otter's Foul Out for cleaning rifles, have for 25 plus years. Not all the time and not on all my guns. Mostly, I use jags, patches and solvents on my hunting rifles right after the hunt or deer season, and F class rifles. I use the Foul Out system on used guns that I have purchased with factory barrels, or guns that tends to fowl a lot after a lot of range shooting. On guns brought to me by friends which have not been clean often or are neglected. Sometimes it is easier set it up and let it work over night on a neglected rifle.