The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 29, 2010, 07:17 PM   #1
pzlehr778

Identifying an unknown revolver

Hi,
A friend of mine let me take pics of this revolver his grandfather had. It has no name on it, it does have a serial number. It's missing some parts it looks to me. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what it could be? I'll try to post either a pic or link.
Thanks,
Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rob's Gun 066.jpg (236.6 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg Rob's Gun 068.jpg (242.7 KB, 154 views)
Old March 29, 2010, 08:17 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

That is one of the cheaply made revolvers imported from Germany in the late 1950's and early 1960's until the Gun Control Act of 1968 banned them from importation. They were often called "Saturday Night Specials" and sold at the time for as little as $9; they probably weren't worth that. The frames were a zinc alloy and would not stand up to much use. Some had failures like loading gates blown off and barrels coming out, and broken hands and cylinder stops were common.

There were a couple of brand names, the main one being Rohm Gesselschaft (RG). I think that is an RG-10 but, as I said, there were several similar guns, and Rohm supplied parts to other companies. Many had the maker's name on the grips, some did not have it anywhere.

Naturally, with so many made, some worked OK and a few folks even tell of how they shot them for years with no problems. Sorry, but they are still junk, even if they are working junk.

If he wants to keep it as a remembrance of his grandfather, fine, but he needs to be aware that the value is near nothing and the gun is not worth spending money on even though some parts are available. No dealer will take it in trade and I know of no one who would pay money for it.

Jim
Old March 29, 2010, 08:57 PM   #3
SigP6Carry

My vote is on the RG-10, or another similar revolver. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't RFK killed with one of those?
Old March 29, 2010, 09:18 PM   #4
RJay

It is indeed a Rohm RG-10. This was their blank firing starter gun converted to 22 Short. This gun hurt their reputation so bad that when they did build better guns, American buyers wouldn't buy them ( at least the knowledgeable buyers, even when offered at a huge discount ). They don't blow up, but they have a very bad habit of falling apart and getting out of time. I have heard that they sold in some cases for as little as 12 dollars when new.
Old March 30, 2010, 10:21 AM   #5
pzlehr778

Ok, that's what I wanted to know! I thought it looked like a starter pistol..it is a 22short and my friend has no intention of really doing anything with it. That's great though, now I have some good info to tell him....thanks again guys!!

Chuck
Old March 30, 2010, 04:44 PM   #6
gyvel

Judging from the photograph, there appears to be a round in the cylinder. Hope your friend is aware of that.
Old March 30, 2010, 06:49 PM   #7
starbuck125

i agree with gyvel....better check the pistol, it does look like there"s one round in it.
Old March 30, 2010, 09:12 PM   #8
SigP6Carry

I read it earlier as gyvel saying "the cylinder looks round" and I got confused... thoroughly. Upon closer examination, yeah, there's brass in there.
Old April 7, 2010, 08:18 AM   #9
bigjack59

The gun that killed RFK was an eight shot .22 revolver, an Iver Johnson Cadet. Cheap but has to be better than these German starter pistols, they truly are dangerous.
Old April 16, 2010, 07:59 AM   #10
ncpatriot

I bought a similar RG .22 short at a pawnshop last year. Paid way too much, should have known it wasn't much of a gun. I can be sold almost anything at a weak moment. Was looking for a good started pistol for my teenage daughter.