The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 15, 2014, 09:32 AM   #1
IdahoG36

Value of an excellent condition 6" Sig Trailside

First off, if this is the wrong forum for this, I apologize. I've seen gun value questions posted here many times, which is why I posted here.

I wanted to ask fellow members here for some input on the value of an excellent condition used Sig Trailside with a 6" barrel and fixed sights. It has the case and every single accessory that came from the factory with the gun. These were made by Hammerli for Sig, and loosely based on the 208 model.

I paid $550 for it awhile back. I see them sell for much more on Gunbroker from time to time, and not too many pop up anymore. I can't find much info on the value of these, and I want to make sure that it is priced fairly.

Here are some pics-(I edited out the serial # on the gun and test target. That's why it looks weird)

Old August 15, 2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Technosavant

I'd say the value is what you see them going for on Gunbroker. If you want comparison to a new gun, the Trailside is being imported by Hammerli as the Xesse, and those run for $750 for a 6" model. Pretty much the same gun, just different grips.

http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/H...-Standard.aspx

Trailsides didn't sell well but now it seems they've finally gathered a rep for being fantastically accurate guns (my 4" model shoots like a laser gun... if you miss, it was you). The prices seem to have risen accordingly.
Old August 15, 2014, 05:16 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

Yeah, but the broken trigger guard/ grip issues keep some of us away from it considering there is only one importer...
Old August 16, 2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Jo6pak

I sold my 4" Trailside last summer for $350 to my local gunshop. IIRC, he sold it about a week later for $450.

I would still it if mine wasn't so finicky with ammo.
Old August 16, 2014, 07:44 PM   #5
gyvel

Quote:
I see them sell for much more on Gunbroker from time to time, and not too many pop up anymore. I can't find much info on the value of these, and I want to make sure that it is priced fairly.
Do you see them ASKING higher prices or actually SELLING for those prices? In case you don't know, you need to search for that gun in the "completed items" section to see which ones actually sold and for how much. Guns with bids, but didn't meet reserve, don't count, but it still give you an idea of what the current market is on these.

I just did a search under completed items and the ones that sold (not counting the ones with optical sights or Xesse special feature add ons) went from a low of $414.95 to a high of $520.00 with the majority being within several dollars or so either side of $450.00. The one inexplicable item went for a whopping $799.99 with 17 bids, and it was just some guy's safe queen. It was two guys bidding against each other. I can only surmise that someone out there had more money than brains and wanted that particular pistol.

Maybe you're get lucky if you put it on Gunbroker and get two guys that get bidding fever.
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; August 16, 2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old August 16, 2014, 07:45 PM   #6
gyvel

Quote:
Yeah, but the broken trigger guard/ grip issues keep some of us away from it considering there is only one importer...
Has this trigger guard issue become a major issue? Does it happen that often?
SIFE
Old August 16, 2014, 08:02 PM   #7
gyvel

Quote:
I would still it if mine wasn't so finicky with ammo.
Wow! That's the one thing about mine that I was very impressed with; It eats all kind of garbage ammo like a starving dog, and still delivers superb accuracy.

Now, since I have just learned about this trigger guard issue, I have to worry about that.
SIFE
Old August 17, 2014, 09:43 AM   #8
Jo6pak

Yeah, I guess mine was the exception to the rule. Most other owners I've spoken with have no issues with ammo.
It wasn't terrible, but just kind of nagging to always need to find either Aquila or CCI to get 100% reliability.

The Trailside is still my first recommendation to other looking for an nice accurate rim-fire pistol. They may not be the most robust design; but personally, I've yet to see/shoot another 22 pistol that can match it's accuracy or excellent trigger at the same price point.
Old August 17, 2014, 09:51 AM   #9
WVsig

In real terms it is worth about $400 retail about $300 to $350 private sale. They never sold well and were blown out by CDNN years ago for under $500 NIB for the high end models. They never ran great and are on the flimsy side. They are not robust guns.

Last edited by WVsig; August 17, 2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old August 17, 2014, 10:17 AM   #10
trigger643

The one pictured is the 6" standard version. There was also a target version with wood grips and adjustable rear sight.

As other's said, a new 6" standard Xesse is available for $750.00, but nice used 6" Trailside Target models will occasionally fetch that on GB, standard versions about $100-150 less.

4" versions generally sell for $450-550.

The gun was designed specifically to eat standard velocity ammunition. Many of the problems it suffers are the result of feeding it high velocity ammunition. Also, the dust cover portion of the trigger guard was designed not to be used as a lever and doing so frequently results in breakage, as well as not properly reassembling the gun and hammering on the trigger guard to lock it in place.

I've owned Trailsides since they were first introduced into the country back in the late 90's and am on my 3rd or 4th one. As other's have said, they are lazer accurate and with proper care and feeding are an excellent choice.

Last edited by trigger643; August 17, 2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old August 17, 2014, 10:22 AM   #11
WVsig

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-P...=Sig+Trailside

I am willing to bet that 6" with target stocks /setup won't go over $550. The rest have no bids.... There is a reason Sig gave up on relationship and dumped the pistols to CDNN. It does not make them bad but it makes them less valuable. YMMV