The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 22, 2011, 07:18 PM   #1
spacecoast

Florida a top source of stolen guns (article)

There are quite a few things wrong with this article, and the writer seems to definitely have an agenda, comparing our gun laws (unfavorably) with New York's.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/fl-fl...,0,79120.story

By the way, we rank behind Georgia in absolute numbers (with about twice the number of residents). Where's the outrage over stolen gun traffic in Georgia?

At least she quotes both someone from the NRA and a FSU professor who offer alternative explanations.
Old October 22, 2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Patriot86

Population Rank - 4th in U.S. behind California, Texas & New York

Considering California and New York probably have lower rates of gun ownership due to the hoops your average Joe has to jump through this makes sense.

I would Imagine many guns stolen in Texas end up over the border.

Also, I would imagine that NY and California have a lot more gang members than Florida. It wouldn't make sense to steal a gun in NY, and sell it out of state. You would sell it to someone in state.....deeply flawed logic in this article.
Old October 22, 2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Don P

Well Spacecoast I place the far left liberal Daytona Beach News Journal, and Orlando Sentinel in the same category being used to cover the bottom of the birdie cage and up here we call the News Journal an excellent Mackerel wrapper. Both are far left liberal in there view points and agendas.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 23, 2011, 10:52 AM   #4
brickeyee

They used to blame Virginia.

I guess that wore thin.
Old October 23, 2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Tuzo

Underlying truth to this article and other similar writings is that, no matter what the laws mandate, criminals will get firearms. The only way to do away with criminals having firearms is to do away with all firearm possession, including law enforcement. Of course, that gets us nowhere because criminals will still get firearms from whatever source possible.

As mentioned many times in TFL and elsewhere, no amount of gun control legislation will impact the criminal population.
Old October 23, 2011, 11:21 AM   #6
C0untZer0

It's not that difficult to create a functioning 1911 pistol. Anyone with a machine shop can do it. If firearms were completely restricted to police and military, and the civilian secret stashes were depleted, the prices for firearms would skyrocket. The high prices of firearms would easily cover the cost of a $300,000 tooling machine necesary to make gun parts.

They're not that hard to build - this is not brain surgery or rocket science. The technology has been around since 1904 ( a little before that actually).

If George Kellgren, Carl Rohrbaugh, and Arne Boberg can make guns, other people can make guns.

I'm sure that when the prohibitionists were finally victorious in outlawing alcohol they thought they'd solved the problem forever. What a shock it must have been to them when they realized that other people besides the major breweries, wineries and distillers could just make the stuff themselves.
Old October 23, 2011, 12:58 PM   #7
C0untZer0

I forgot the Hi-Points

Jeez - how hard can it be to make those things ???
Old October 23, 2011, 02:21 PM   #8
graysmoke

I have lived and worked many years throughout south and north Florida and just cannot believe that news article.....

Typical Liberal Media Phoney Junk.
Old October 23, 2011, 02:23 PM   #9
JHansenAK47

Quote:
I'm sure that when the prohibitionists were finally victorious in outlawing alcohol they thought they'd solved the problem forever. What a shock it must have been to them when they realized that other people besides the major breweries, wineries and distillers could just make the stuff themselves.
I find your logic flawed. For me the underlying problem isn't the gun but violence itself. You think gangbangers are going to stop fighting because they don't have guns. In Britian they just picked up knives instead. Now they have knife buy backs in the UK.
Old October 23, 2011, 03:03 PM   #10
brickeyee

Quote:
Jeez - how hard can it be to make those things ???
Make something similar?
Simple.

Make the same?
Harder.
Zinc casting (or whatever cruddy alloy HP is using) would be needed.
Old October 23, 2011, 05:55 PM   #11
Eghad

In light of "Operation Fast and Furious" The ATF might hold the record now.

NRA Life Member
Old October 23, 2011, 06:43 PM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
Considering California and New York probably have lower rates of gun ownership
CA has at least twice the population, and they have a VERY active shooting community - don't let the BS in the media make you think they're aren't any guns LEGALLY in CA - there are plenty and plenty of gun clubs

But then, the media does not know how to tell the truth
Old October 23, 2011, 08:01 PM   #13
Patriot86

Well then my other theory probably holds true, guns make it back over the border or they are used in state for crimes rather than being smuggled out.