The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 25, 2010, 08:42 AM   #1
Mokumbear

Walther PPS backstrap safety...

I am looking for an answer from someone who actually owns the Walther PPS,
not an answer based on concept.

If I choose to carry with "one in the pipe", I would like to remove the
backstrap when at home because of child safety and my preference for
a .45 for HD.

I looked at the Walther site. When the backstrap is removed
"the partially cocked striker assembly is decocked".

OK. I imagine it's safe to say that there is no way this decocking would
cause a round to fire. Right?

My big question is when you replace the backstrap, will the gun
be immediately ready to fire the chambered round?
Does pulling the trigger just recycle the striker.
(As in, no need to rerack the gun).

Thanks for bearing with this very simple yet important question.
I've never had a gun like this.
Old September 25, 2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Que

I've never messed with the backstrap. To me it isn't that great of a safety system. Seems like most folks just forget that it's there, and, I've heard of some gluing it on. The problems that I have heard about with the backstrap have all been with guns where the strap is on and off on a regular basis. Other than that backstrap the gun is superb. I would acquire the gun despite the backstrap, and most certainly not because of it.

If you go to the Walther Forum you will find the info that you need.

Last edited by Que; September 25, 2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old September 25, 2010, 04:13 PM   #3
AustinTX

I would suggest not habitually removing the backstrap. I think it's possible for the fit to become loose over time with regular removal. It's best to find the one that fits your hand, leave it on the gun for good, and find another manner to ensure that your child doesn't get his/her hands on it.
Old September 25, 2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Que

What Austin said. Leave it be. With proper procedure as to safety assuring an unloaded gun it can be field stripped like a Glock dry-firing without removing the backstrap. IMO, the backstrap is no reason to be one iota less cautious about leaving a gun in a loaded condition, not to say that the OP would assuming he is only looking for additional safety assurances.

For the record, the major issues seem to be with the larger backstrap, and, with any backstrap, failing to fully engage it fully upwards completely into place. It is a weird fit/engagement. I think that Walther did a mod to the straps, but the best bet is still to forget that it can be removed.

Otherwise, the PPS is an incredible gun well worth owning.
Old September 25, 2010, 08:20 PM   #5
zombieslayer

I haven't had my backstrap off since I decided which one I like. I just dry-fire to field strip. I forget its removable.

On another note- these things are awesome to carry AND to shoot. I went to the range with one of mine today. Put the first mag into a group the size of a silver dollar at 15yards. For some reason, I'm a better shot with the PPS than a lot of fullsize guns.
Old September 25, 2010, 11:50 PM   #6
AustinTX

Quote:
On another note- these things are awesome to carry AND to shoot. I went to the range with one of mine today. Put the first mag into a group the size of a silver dollar at 15yards. For some reason, I'm a better shot with the PPS than a lot of fullsize guns.
I strongly second every word there. I've managed quite a few five-shot "ragged hole" groups at 15 yards with this gun. I was blown away by its accuracy the first time I took it to the range.

Mine is more accurate from a benchrest than my Glock 17.
Old September 26, 2010, 08:45 AM   #7
Que

The first time I shot my PPS (9mm) due to my target holder and the backstop (at an outdoor range) I was forced to shoot it at 32 yards. Silver dollar sized (to slightly larger) five shot groups were the norm (with an occasional flyer as it was a new gun to me). For me the gun outshoots many if not most full sized guns. That day a range officer noted my shooting with the PPS and commented that from what he had seen the performance of several other shooters with the PPS was very similar. Many were police officers who had bought the PPS for their wives but had ended up using the PPS for their own use as well.

The PPS is in a league of its own.
Old September 26, 2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Hmac

Answer to the question is that removing the backstrap de-cocks it, replacing it does not re-cock it.

My wife's had her 9mm PPS for several months. Nice to carry. Her trigger needs a little work. As it is, it's impairing consistency. It has been utterly reliable though. Haven't had a single malfunction.

I agree with never removing the backstrap.
Old September 26, 2010, 03:45 PM   #9
AustinTX

Quote:
Her trigger needs a little work. As it is, it's impairing consistency.
How many rounds has she fired through it? After 800 rounds, my PPS has one of my very favorite semi-auto trigger pulls of all time.

If hers doesn't smooth out, S&W will likely do a trigger job for free. I've seen a couple of others say that they complained about trigger grittiness to S&W and that S&W paid for shipping both ways and smoothed out the trigger at no charge.
Old September 26, 2010, 08:36 PM   #10
raimius

If you are going to render a firearm non-shootable without messing with mulitple pieces, why not just unload it?
Old September 27, 2010, 04:59 AM   #11
LanceOregon

I'm surprised that everyone failed to answer your second question:

Quote:
Does pulling the trigger just recycle the striker.
(As in, no need to rerack the gun).
No, it does not. You will need to re-rack the gun.

Old September 27, 2010, 11:04 AM   #12
Que

I think that the answer wasn't given sooner as so few of us remove the backstrap.
Old September 27, 2010, 03:45 PM   #13
LanceOregon

Quote:
I think that the answer wasn't given sooner as so few of us remove the backstrap.
But that is a separate question, that can stand on its own.

It is obvious that he is not familiar with the pistol, and is looking for basic information about it.

Old September 28, 2010, 01:03 PM   #14
Que

I was merely stating why I thought that the question wasn't answered sooner. If the backstrap is never taken off the point is moot.

I would add that while the OP is looking at the backstrap safety as a positive it is actually the one serious shortcoming of the pistol. Issues arise when that backstrap is removed and not replaced correctly. As i have said, it's a bit of a "tricky" fit. It is a problem best avoided by leaving the backstrap be, in which case the condition of the gun when the strap is replaced is largely irrelevant and would be unknown to someone who leaves the strap be.

Last edited by Que; September 28, 2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old September 30, 2010, 04:10 PM   #15
BillDish

BackStrap

I have had my PPS for 3 months and have put about 500 rounds thru it with no failures. The trigger is starting to feel less tinny with a little more crispness. I tried twice to remove the backstrap and was not comfortable with the process of reinstalling, I felt that the plastic pins could wear if I did it too many times. So I have decided to head the recommendations not to mess with it. I like the gun too much to risk damage.

It's my favorite