The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 4, 2013, 10:23 AM   #26
MikeGunz

Plenty of it around here. .
Old January 4, 2013, 10:38 AM   #27
UtopiaTexasG19

When I was a teenager we had a neighbor who owned a gasoline station and I remember him talking to my Dad about the fact that when he received a new tanker of gasoline he would take the wholesale cost per gallon and mark it up 15%. The retail price would stay the same until his station became low and he ordered another semi load of gasoline. In other words, his retail price stayed the same until his next batch of gasoline arrived. Notice in the last 15 years how the price of gasoline at your local stations fluctuates on a weekly or even daily basis though the station is selling the same tanker load they received weeks back? What I am getting at is that we pay inflated retail prices all the time that in no way reflect the wholesale cost. So why are folks getting upset now about prices and availability of guns, ammo and accessories when they have had years to prepare?
Old January 4, 2013, 02:19 PM   #28
dos0711

Not much of anything around hear cept bird shot...
Old January 4, 2013, 02:29 PM   #29
17ghk

People say they are stocking up on plinking ammo and 30 k is not enough. I bet that if someone had 40k rds and could not get any more they would not be shooting it. As for using it to barter with I dont know about all that. Good grief no wonder there is a shortage.
Old January 4, 2013, 02:35 PM   #30
JWT

22 LR is just like any other ammo. Having a little too much is just about right. I tend to buy in bulk whenever I find decent prices - regardless of caliber.
Old January 4, 2013, 03:10 PM   #31
patrickmn

I read through all the posts and didn't see it mentioned, so I did a search for the word "Christmas" and didn't find it. I figure it was a mix of panic buying and gift buying. Now that gift buying is over, I am hoping things will be returning to normal in the next couple of weeks.

Panic buying is no fun when there isn't anything to buy.
Old January 4, 2013, 03:23 PM   #32
dos0711

So far at the LGS, that has not been the case. It's like Disney World in there...
Old January 4, 2013, 05:15 PM   #33
dave8274

My local Walmart is out of just about everything.

I went to Cabela's today though, and they had tons of .22LR. I picked up 325 count boxes of the cheap Federal stuff.

What I'm having a hard time finding is 12G Buckshot.

I don't get it. I've heard lots about potential rifle bans and magazine limits, but I haven't seen much speculation on ammo bans at all.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:34 PM   #34
EdInk

Ammunition shortages are going to be the norm for a while (IMHO).
Old January 4, 2013, 07:20 PM   #35
spanishjames

Quote:
I don't get it. I've heard lots about potential rifle bans and magazine limits, but I haven't seen much speculation on ammo bans at all.
Again, it doesn't have to be banned to make it wise to buy as much as you can while you can. The story below highlights TEN new gun bills introduced on Congress's first day:

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...y-of-the-house

Quote:
McCarthy's H.R. 141 would require criminal background checks on all firearms transactions at gun shows, which would close the so-called gun-show loophole. Her H.R. 142 would require face-to-face purchases of ammunition, the licensing of ammunition dealers, and the reporting of bulk ammo purchases.
So no online ammo sales, and the store would have to report bulk sales to whom? At the very least, the ammo bill will make it inconvenient to purchase in bulk in the future.

This is why it's very important that we all call our representatives and voice our concerns. You don't have to be a great orator and write them a speech. Just keep it simple and tell them you don't approve of your rights being trampled on, and that you're a registered voter.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:33 PM   #36
Pukindog12

The 3 Walmarts close to me for the last two months have been running empty of 22LR. My wife and I went to one this afternoon and I figured they would be out again. I didn't look awfully hard because where they usually have the CCI 22LR was bare. Was about to ask for the last box of .357 and my wife points something out. There sat 11 boxes of CCI Stingers! I told the guy I wanted them all.

Maybe I should go play the lottery.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:37 PM   #37
UtopiaTexasG19

I wonder if face to face ammo. sales would include Skype?
Old January 5, 2013, 12:37 AM   #38
540mope

Quote:
It is a little ridiculous and completely frustrating. Ammo isn't going anywhere so I cant understand why people are panicking and buying it all up.
yeah, right.....i remember people claiming that Obama and his ilk would never even think of an assault weapons ban...and they called anyone that thought any different "paranoid".
stock up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 540mope; January 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:03 AM   #39
Aguila Blanca
Staff

My local gun shop has ammo, but he started buying up some while ago. I stopped into a nearby Wal-Mart today (to buy cables for a DVD hook-up) and checked the ammo cabinet. Whew! I have NEVER seen it so bare. It was far worse than 2008, after Obama's first election. They had some shotgun ammo in light-weight loads, and two off-brand boxes of .380 ACP. Oh, and one box of .44 magnum.

The place where I buy reloading stuff is completely out of stock on JHP bullets in .45 automatic.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:10 AM   #40
losthomer

Hello all, new member but long time reader.

Finally something good about being gun owner in CA. No panic buying of hi cap mags here! 223 & 308 are gone except for the really high dollar stuff. 22lr is hit and miss. Gone at waldo's, abundant at a hardware store. 40gr cci bricks are on sale for 16.99. I bought 2 but the shelf was mostly full. Reloading components also well stocked except for 223, of which the selection is awful to start.

Happy shooting, I mean new year.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:34 AM   #41
9mm

22lr is survival round, plus it's used in rifles such as AR-22 models. Anything with a magzine over 10 rounds is off all the guns shops I go to, this includes 25 round magazine for ar-22.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:35 AM   #42
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom68 View Post
found some in pawn shop yesterday afternoon. a brick of white-box remington, plain jane lead bullet cartridges were $40; the clerk told me that the owner called the store that morning and told the staff to mark them up from $30, cause that's what he'll have to pay to replace them.

I understand supply and demand quite well, but like a lot of others I also recognize gouging. he very well may have to pay upwards of $40 for a brick next time, and price it accordingly... but he certainly didn't have to pay that for the stuff sitting on the shelf.

I bought three boxes of 50 instead, for $4 each. Still got gouged, but not as much. I can wait till sanity returns, and in the meantime I just won't shoot a lot of 22LR.
Think about his re-order. He bought a box of ammo fir say $10 and had it fir sale for $15. Say he sells it, retains $4 for expenses and profit and uses $11 to buy more boxes. Works fine as long as he can buy the next at $10 again.

But suppose his cost goes to $20 per box. If he sells his original box at $15 and uses $11 of it to re-order he cannot buy the same qty as before. Over time his inventory will dwindle and he goes out of business just when demand is greatest.

On the other hand, if he sells that original $10 box for $30 then he can use the same percentages and keep $8 while using $22 to buy more inventory.

So he has to sell it at the higher of his original cost or his future cost of replacement, plus his percentage for margin.
Old January 5, 2013, 04:11 PM   #43
johnwilliamson062

I usually shoot a lot of rimfire. Right now it is all I shoot. Who knows when or at what price I will be able to replace 9mm. I don;t even look at the centerfire when in walmart as even there price is edging up. I check for 22lr and move on.

Worse than 2008-2009? Not in my opinion. Not much on Wal-Mart shelves, but more than one lonely box of 357 sig. I ended up buying thousands of pellets to shoot through that scare.
Old January 5, 2013, 05:01 PM   #44
Colorado308shooter

During the thanksgiving period, 2012, I was able to get (9) 500 round bricks of .22 out of Cabela's.....all of it for about 4.5 cents/round.

My 10/22 will be well fed.
Old January 5, 2013, 05:04 PM   #45
UtopiaTexasG19

johnwilliamson062

There you go John, starting a pellet shortage!
Old January 6, 2013, 06:43 PM   #46
Ken - Oh

With the high prices of CF ammo, I've started shooting .22 a lot more than I ever did. Since supplies are tight, I've been watching for opportunities to stock up a little. There's not a whole lot available but when I saw one of my favorite internet sites listing .22 at a reasonable price, I put in an order for 5K. I kind of wish I would have doubled the order, but that's getting into serious money.

edit: I just checked and they sold out of everything except a few cases of $400+ subsonic and that's too high priced for my blood.
"The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County [Cincinnati] Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
Old January 6, 2013, 10:15 PM   #47
johnwilliamson062

Anyone know where I can get a pellet mold?