The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2009, 08:47 PM   #1
btefft

Wondering about using a bore snake to clean dies.

Wondering about using a bore snake to clean dies.

I just received my new Hornady .223 Rem New Dimension dies and know I need to clean them to get the preservative off/out of them.

I have a bore snake for my .223/5.56 AR and was wondering if there was any reason why I couldn't just pull the snake through the new dies.

I figure to clean the dies just like I'd clean and lube the bore of a pistol.

In fact, I'm thinking about using a snake to do all my periodic die cleaning chores.

What do you think?

Hack
Old February 17, 2009, 09:12 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I would if I had one. Maybe clean it the first time with something else to get metal shavings out...then use the boresnake. Boresnake is a good idea!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 17, 2009, 09:24 PM   #3
oneounceload

You can spray them with a carb and choke or brake cleaner then hit them with a can of that computer air cleaner.....just cleaned some dies I hadn't used in a while that way - worked great
Old February 17, 2009, 09:27 PM   #4
amamnn

+ 1 on the carb cleaner
Old February 17, 2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Inspector3711

I always use brake cleaner (the non chlorinated type). It's cheap and works good. If the die still looks dirty I hit it with a rag and some Hoppes #9.
Old February 18, 2009, 01:15 AM   #6
Dr. Strangelove

I'm not a huge die cleaner, but when I do, I just use the sink with hot water and one of those 3m green/yellow sponges with whatever dish detergent I happen to be using at the time. I do happen to be single, married folks may want to wait till the significant other is out for a while to do this. If a die is especially nasty, I will run an appropriate sized brass bristle brush through (I clean those the same way). If you use hot enough water, the dies dry very quickly and you can then spray non-chlorinated brake cleaner (make sure wifey isn't coming home soon), let dry, then apply whatever rust preventative you like.
Old February 18, 2009, 03:18 AM   #7
Smokey Joe

Bore Snake/Dies

Btefft--I can't think of a reason why a bore snake wouldn't work just as well as any other cleaning implement you might use!

I don't clean dies much, except my target pistol bullet seating and crimping dies, which sometimes accumulate bullet lube. Have always used a Q-Tip with bore cleaner to do that; therfore don't have to disassemble the die to get it clean. (If the die is not disassembled it doesn't have to be re-assembled and then re-adjusted for seating depth or crimp.)

But for an initial cleaning of a new die, or if somehow one got really crudded up, hey, a bore snake would work for me!

--Smokey Joe