The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2009, 04:40 PM   #1
DeerBear 2000

Advice On Reloading Press Please

Hi Guys I have a rock chucker press would like a dillon but I do not have the money . I'm looking at a lee classic turret press or loadmaster press to load 9mm,40 s&w and 45 acp would like your advice. Thanks Craig
Old February 15, 2009, 04:46 PM   #2
rn22723

Skip the Loadmaster and get the LCT.
Old February 15, 2009, 04:56 PM   #3
snuffy

LCT without a doubt. With it you can load up to 200 rounds/hour, plus rifle if you ever want to.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 15, 2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Shoney

DeerBear 2000

WELCOME TO TFL!!!

I have two single stage presses and two progressives, the LNL AP and a Dillon 550. The LNL is far superior to the 550, and at a lower price. Then when you consider the 1000 bullet rebate, you are way under $300 for the LNL. You should seriously consider it.

If your budget is not large enough, then the LCT is an excellent way to go. Reviews of the LCT by members of this forum and other forums rate it highly.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 15, 2009, 05:25 PM   #5
floydster

Get the Lee LCT, a great press for the money, that's what I load on for my five pistol calibers.
Old February 15, 2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Hammack

Shoney, I too am looking at the L-N-L press. The 1000 bullet rebate definitely makes it look attractive. Is the rebate for certain bullets only, or for any hornady bullet?
Old February 15, 2009, 11:23 PM   #7
cgaengineer

The Hornady LNL with the EZJect is the press to buy. Here is mine in action http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hlight=hornady. With the Hornady you get auto progressive and the ability to add a case feeder and possibly a bullet feeder from RCBS when they come out.

I had the version with the wire and it was a PITA, the EZJect is a winner!

With the free 1000 bullets you will be hard pressed to find a better deal on such a well made machine.

Last edited by cgaengineer; February 15, 2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old February 15, 2009, 11:49 PM   #8
Sixer

I think the LCT would be a great choice.
Old February 16, 2009, 01:42 PM   #9
Shoney

Hammack

Yes, the bullets are from a narrow list to choose. Here is the Promo:
http://www.hornady.com/get_loaded.php

Here is the list:
http://www.hornady.com/media/get-loaded-stay-loaded.pdf
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 16, 2009, 04:57 PM   #10
j357

My vote would go to the LCT as well. Just got started and made that choice, considering price and reviews. Get a kit or make sure to get the auto prime set up and pro powder measure with an extra extension.

FWIW, I knew going in that I would have to play with it and would encounter a few hang ups.

I can tell you that my press would never reach the speed shown on the Lee website video, too much slop in the detent ball setup, skips due to inertia when flying at that speed.

However, with a few manuals and all of the info available here, and a little patience, you will like the end results.
Old February 16, 2009, 07:37 PM   #11
Inspector3711

I bought a Pro-1000 recently. Once I got the hang of it it started working well. Basically the learning curve was about two days before I reached near perfection.

I think it's a great choice if you want to go low budget on a progressive for handguns.

I really wanted the Hornady, but just couldn't put the money together. If you go for the bullets just be aware that they do take awhile to arrive.

Anyway, the Lee was $138 at Midway. Cheaper than most single stage presses. The Hornady wasn't in stock.
Old February 16, 2009, 09:54 PM   #12
tyler4656

Want to sell your Rock chucker

if so let me know
Old February 17, 2009, 02:29 PM   #13
dsv424

I got the LCT a week ago and love it. Set up pretty easy and was loading .223, 10mm and .357 in no time at all. Very inexpensive but solid. I'd look for the kit at Kempf's it was the best value for what you get.
Old February 17, 2009, 03:31 PM   #14
dlb435

I've had a Lee and many others. I've got a Dillon RL450 now. Ebay, $225.00.
I think that is affordable. I think you will be dissapointed with the Lee. They work but feel cheap.
Old February 17, 2009, 04:08 PM   #15
oneounceload

or use your RC and take the money you would spend and buy more components....I've used a RS from them for over 30 years, have loaded everything from 32 ACP to 7Mag - still works well, even if it isn't churning out buckets in 10 minutes - but then I've never had ANY issue with any of my reloads from that press either
Old February 17, 2009, 04:38 PM   #16
RamSlammer

I use a standard Lee 4 hole turret and it does the job well. The Classic Turret is supposedly a vast improvement over mine which would be great. I get 200+ rounds per hour loading straight-walled pistol cartridges and disengage the auto index to load many rifle rounds as well as I can on a Rock Chucker without changing dies between stages. You can pay more to get better quality, but those will not do a better job producing accurate, shootable rounds.
Old February 17, 2009, 04:59 PM   #17
salvadore

I just got the lee four holer turret, not the classic, from midway for $75 dollars and have loaded a coupla hundred .45 Colts and just finished 400 32/20s. If the classic is better I'd spend the extra 10 or 20 dollars and get it. Oh yeah, the Lee worked great, not as fast as my square deal but I like it more than my single stage.
Old February 17, 2009, 10:22 PM   #18
benzuncle

I too wanted a Dillon, but after lurking and reading I went with the Lee Classic Turret Press. That was January, 2008. Many, many rounds and 3 calibers later, I have zero regrets. The LCT may feel cheaper than the Dillon, but the ammo it turns out is the same. All of the accessories are less expensive and their carbide dies rival any others. If money is no problem, a Dillon is the way to go. If money is tight or you are feelin' thrifty, the LCT is the best bang for the buck.