The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2002, 04:51 PM   #1
Bacchus

Reloading RNL vs. SWC--new data needed?

I've been reloading some 158 gr. RNL for 38 and just picked up some 158 gr SWC by the same company. My data is for plinking loads only and no where near max. Can I/Should I use the same data from the RNL for the SWC?
Old June 17, 2002, 05:04 PM   #2
Jeeper

I cant think of a reason why you couldn’t use the same data is you aren’t near max. The velocities might vary between them but that shouldn’t matter.
Old June 17, 2002, 05:43 PM   #3
hitnthexring

Bacchus

Sure you can. In fact, most manuals specifically state "This data may also be used with the 158 Gr. SWC."
Old June 17, 2002, 06:00 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Same data is certinly applicable - - -

- - - but another consideration...

Most of us are accustomed to looking at a full wadcutter cartridge and thinking, "light target load." Similarly, a hollow point, and especially a jacketed HP, evokes the thought that this is at least a fairly stout defense or hunting load.

Being something of an old timer, I recall when RNL meant "Standard Velocity Service Load." When I began handloading, I traded around and got three different moulds: Full WC, 158 RN, and 158 SWC. I standardized at three different load levels, and found it easy to tell at a glance which was which.

I no longer cast bullets, but it is handy to use the RNL bullets over a medium charge of Unique or W-231, so as not to stress out my alloy frame revolvers. The SWCs are seated atop warmer loads for small game hunting and personal defense practice with K-frame .38s and the .357s.

Of course, in .357 cases, is is a matter of LSWC being the moderate loads, and the hottish loads are topped with a good JHP or JSP.

Best,
Johnny