The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old March 23, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1
justplainpossum

CNN did balanced report on pig hunting last night

Did anyone see Anderson Cooper's feature on pig hunting? They interviewed a man who is hired by farmers whose farms are being destroyed by feral pigs. The reporter went along on the hunt, and learned why the AR-15 was an effective and necessary tool for that work. The man he interviewed was very articulate and calm, which was a nice change (Piers Morgan usually finds more outrageous people). I was surprised to see that kind of positive reporting. Well done interview, and good to see.
Old March 23, 2013, 03:00 PM   #2
buck460XVR

I saw it this morning on CNN. Very well done, right down to the explanation of a need for a high cap mag for hunting.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:23 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

http://www.allthingsandersoncooper.c...y-3222013.html

It was called
Quote:
BATTLE DOWN ON THE FARM, AR-15 rifles effective in stopping ruinous wild hogs: Report by Victor Blackwell (taped earlier in the week)
but I am not finding the specific video.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:07 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Anyone seen a link to the vid yet?

Brent
Old March 25, 2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Keg

I try to stay away from CNN..but sounds good....
Old March 25, 2013, 09:36 AM   #6
velillen

Re: CNN did balanced report on pig hunting last night

It's on the CNN app for android at least. Under top stories. I'm on my phone though so can't link or anythibg
Old March 25, 2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Keg

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#...5-hog-swat.cnn
Old March 25, 2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Excellent Keg! Thank you!

Did those first hoof prints look more deer-like to anyone else?

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; March 25, 2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:33 PM   #9
reynolds357

This video is interesting, but as a rule I avoid the Communist News Network.

Last edited by reynolds357; March 25, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:37 PM   #10
TXAZ

Wow,
2-3 more of these reports and I might put them back in the program list.
)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 26, 2013, 04:30 AM   #11
shortwave

Quote:
This video is interesting, but as a rule I avoid the Communist News Network.
Same here.

If it's shown on CNN, I won't be seeing it.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:52 AM   #12
Double Naught Spy

LOL for all of the complaining of not liking a given network or program because of what they air on it, if you don't watch the stuff that we do like (which they track on their site), then they aren't apt to do more with a similar orientation.

In other words, you are being your own self fulfilling enemy when it comes to internet viewership.

It is a good piece, largely, at least from a pro-gun, pro-AR15, non-emotional and levelheaded perspective. Granted, the deer tracks and the "stealthy" approach are a bit silly, LOL.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:34 AM   #13
eldermike

I have had CNN programed out so long that for some reason I thought this was just an airport tv channel.....and that Anderson Cooper worked for one of the Airlines.

It's an intresting story but:

1) Rifles are not legal to own because of hunting traditions.
2) High capacity mags are a personal choice when it comes to how I choose to operate my rifle.

I think it's all a game and this is the first quarter. The score has nothing to do with the final goal of winning the game in the end.

We do not own guns because we hunt........regulating guns from a hunting standpoint is much eaiser than from a 2'nd ammendment standpoint. In fact you can't hunt in town, you can't hunt with a rifle within a specified distance from any structure, and on and on and on we go.

It's not about hunting.

try to remember that.
Old March 26, 2013, 09:06 AM   #14
twins

It's interesting to see this type of reporting on CNN instead of an "outdoor" channel. Now the anti-AR group will be holding hands with the PETA crowd.

To all that is bashing CNN (instead of the video as this is what the thread is about), put a little more sugar in your lemonade and enjoy life.
Old March 26, 2013, 09:56 AM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Folks, You owe it to yourselves and the rest of the Pro 2A world to watch and share this... It is PRO GUN... PRO Black Rifle and PRO HIGH CAP MAG...

And it was on CNN to boot!!!

Brent
Old March 26, 2013, 11:58 AM   #16
buck460XVR

Quote:
It's not about hunting.

try to remember that.

Wow, first time I ever heard that about 2nd Amendment rights on a firearms forum.....

In this case it IS about hunting and a example to folks that believe guns in the hands of civilians is only legitimate for hunting purposes. These are the same folks that insist AR-type rifles and Hi-Cap mags are not needed for hunting. This video is a clear example that they are wrong.........again.
Old March 26, 2013, 12:35 PM   #17
shortwave

Thank You Keg for posting the link.

Very surprising to not only see these truths on the ever so biased CNN but the fact that Anderson Cooper has had anything to do with this really sends up the 'red' flags.

I can't help but think ,especially since Cooper was involved, that this clip will eventually be turned around to be used against us in some kind of way. Don't know how or when but with his past anti gun rhetoric, I won't be surprised.
Old March 26, 2013, 01:02 PM   #18
buck460XVR

Quote:
the fact that Anderson Cooper has had anything to do with this really sends up the 'red' flags.

I don't think Cooper had anything to do with it. The Video was done by Victor Blackwell and may have been shown on Cooper's show, but I did not see it there, I saw it on "Early Start with John Berman & Zoraida Sambolin".
Old March 26, 2013, 01:11 PM   #19
johnwilliamson062

I agree that defending the "sporting purpose" is walking into a trap, but this report was fair within it's limited scope.
Old March 26, 2013, 02:52 PM   #20
shortwave

Quote:
I don't think Cooper had anything to do with it. The Video was done by Victor Blackwell and may have been shown on Cooper's show, but I did not see it there, I saw it on "Early Start with John Berman & Zoraida Sambolin".
Yes, you're right buck460.

The clip was aired on ' Anderson Cooper 360 '.

Would liked to have heard Cooper's take on the clip.
Old March 26, 2013, 05:47 PM   #21
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I agree that defending the "sporting purpose" is walking into a trap, but this report was fair within it's limited scope.
There wasn't any trap on the program. Even if you think there was, the fact that the hunter answered the query so well was a real coup. As for defending for a sporting purpose, the context of the show wasn't about home defense. Besides, hunters using AR15s often have to do this with the traditional bolt gun hunters who think AR15s are novelty military style rifles misapplied to slaughtering animals. I thought that from that standpoint, the hunter clearly explained that while he could use a bolt gun, he would not be as effective. There are still lots of Jim Zumbo (before he saw the light) types around still who fell AR15s have no place in the hunting world.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:59 PM   #22
shortwave

Quote:
Besides, hunters using AR15s often have to do this with the traditional bolt gun hunters who think AR15s are novelty military style rifles misapplied to slaughtering animals.
Hell...far as that goes hunters even rag on other hunters for hunting in a different style then they do. I.E. stand hunting versus still hunting...hunting over feeders versus hunting over a corn field...short distance shooting versus long distance shooting, etc.

Sometimes we are our own worse enemy.

Never the less, just because CNN aired this doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about CNN's history of past biased reporting. Especially the last eight years.
Nor does it give me any hope they will be less biased in the future.

Just waiting on the hammer to fall on this positive AR vid. If not by CNN by one of their anti gun affiliates.

Last edited by shortwave; March 26, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:25 PM   #23
reynolds357

To me, it was not pro gun. At best, it was neutral. The hunter was pro-gun, but to me the general feel of the segment made him appear a bit of an odd ball.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:36 PM   #24
eldermike

I own an AR 15 and I hunt, but not with an AR 15. To each his own I suppose. My point was that defending the sporting use of an AR is taking on a battle without the constitution behind you. I have no idea why this is not clearly understood.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:37 PM   #25
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The hunter was pro-gun, but to me the general feel of the segment made him appear a bit of an odd ball.
He is a bit of an odd ball, LOL, but very well spoken. After all, not too many people make a living working nights in a vehicle labeled 'HAMBULANCE' and hunting hogs as a commercial guides. There are very few people in the US with similar jobs. He isn't the Wayne LaPierre-type (but most gun owners aren't either), but he handled the reporter like a pro.
Closed Thread