The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 11, 2010, 11:39 PM   #1
Sphawley

Non-lethal Shells

I'm looking to have some non-lethal shells on hand, What should I look for when buying this?

Where is the best place to shop for this?
Old August 12, 2010, 12:51 AM   #2
mete

Explain what you mean by "non-lethal" A better term would be "less lethal". What is your purpose ?
Old August 12, 2010, 01:16 AM   #3
TheGoldenState

Agreed with Mete, give us some more info.
Old August 12, 2010, 01:21 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If you are using them to run off various 4 legged critters and are successful, COOL!!! They ain't talkin' and neither are you (at least you shouldn't be) and so long as they don't get mad at ya', you probably won't have an issue...

But for 2 leggers, you never are justified to "scare off" a human with a firearm. If you are in fear for life, a LTL (less than lethal) round will never provide the sho nuff stoppin' power. So if justified to brandish a firearm against a person, you are justified and ultimately responsible to yourself and any other human in your care, to STOP THE THREAT...

Brent
Old August 12, 2010, 02:58 AM   #5
kozak6

Firing a shotgun at someone is considered using lethal force. If whatever they're doing isn't worth shooting them with buckshot, do you really have any business firing a shotgun at them?

Also, you really need to know the intended use of the less lethal ammo. Much of it is possibly lethal if used within 30 feet. How big is your house? Or if it's rubber buckshot, it might be designed to be bounced off the sidewalk at rioter's legs way down the street and not fired into Mickey McMethmouth's face 10 feet away.

The flip side is that if Mickey McMethmouth is as high as a kite and doesn't notice your less lethal rounds, you might need lethal force after all.

And then having both round types on hand is potentially risky.
Old August 12, 2010, 10:03 AM   #6
Sphawley

I was just looking to have some beanbag rounds for fun...No particular use.

This would NOT be included in my home defense, I use the Winchester PDX1 for HD.
Old August 13, 2010, 05:24 PM   #7
robthebuilder

Here's one example:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...spx?catid=1959
Old August 13, 2010, 05:30 PM   #8
dahermit

"Non-lethal" rock salt load resulted in a death of a teenage girl in Jackson, Michigan a few short years ago. The person firing at her paid the price. If the poster wants such a load to use on a human, he had better think twice.
Old August 13, 2010, 06:39 PM   #9
mothermopar

Bah... look to these instead:

http://www.firequest.com/exotic-shotgun-ammo.html
Old August 13, 2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Young.Gun.612

HOLY COW!

That exotic shotgun ammo is some COOL STUFF! Time to buy a Mossberg, and load it with some double slugs. Or some flamethrowers. Or some "Macho Gauchos".
Old August 13, 2010, 07:21 PM   #11
oneounceload

Quote:
That exotic shotgun ammo is some COOL STUFF! Time to buy a Mossberg, and load it with some double slugs. Or some flamethrowers. Or some "Macho Gauchos".
OR, buy a nice double and practice for bird season....guess it depends on what your priority is..........
Old August 13, 2010, 07:45 PM   #12
mete

One that I've used to get deer out of the garden is a 12 ga round that goes out to 75 yds then goes off with a very loud BANG ! Works fine .
There's Dragons Breath that is impressive at night .
Old August 13, 2010, 09:38 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I want to start "Catch & Release" Dove huntin' Can I get, like,... some sort of net thinghys so I can turn the birdie loose. I might have to re-pack them for reloads.

After mastering that, I can start packin' parachutes fer higher!

Brent
Old August 19, 2010, 12:28 AM   #14
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young.Gun.612
HOLY COW!

You could buy a flat of 250rds for the price of 50 of that gimmick ammo..

http://www.firequest.com/exotic-shotgun-ammo.html
Quote:
This ammo is restricted in the following cities and/or states: All of Alaska; All of CA; All of FL; All of HI; All of IL; All of MA; NYC , NY; Bronx, NY; Brooklyn, NY; Manhattan, NY; Staten Island, NY; Queens, NY; Washington D.C., APO & FPO Addresses, No PO boxes
LoL

Quote:
12 Gauge Terminator X - 25 Units Per Package $69.99

The lethality contained within the hollow core slug of our terminator 12 GA almost can't be advertised. Upon impact, this slug mushrooms and expands to nearly two inches, stopping the slug from totally penetrating your objective. This rapid expansion forces the dozen of tiny pellets to spread through your objective like a cancerous disease, opening an area at the impact point equal to a softball. The cavity created has the shock effect of 95%. That means only 5% of any living being could survive this kind of hit. 2 3/4" round
LoL ► this is hilarious!

Quote:
The "Rhodesian Jungle" rounds are great for in-home defense! The combination of several large pellets surrounded by a mass of smaller pellets allows for double punching power to any intruder that is unlucky enough to cross its path. Make the intruder think twice with this double whammer power. If the big pellets don't get you, the small ones will. 2 3/4 round
12 Gauge Rhodesian Jungle - 25 Round Pak $59.99
double-whammy power!

Quote:
This 12 GA. round contains dozens of razor sharp steel tacks that blast out at high velocity which virtually guarantees that there will be no response from the perpetrator. Each round is buffed with #12 shot thus creating a double shock to the wound area. Absolutely will not harm your shotgun. To be used no closer than 10 feet and no further than 50 feet. 2 3/4" round
12 Gauge Piranha - 25 Round Pack $69.99
number 12 shot is like dust!
I see liability written all over this stuff

Quote:
12 Gauge Pit Bull - 25 Pack $69.99

Pure Power! The Pit Bull is a powerful 12 gauge round packed with six 00-Buck pellets topped with a heavy-duty 1.3 oz. slug! Loaded extra hot for MAXIMUM stopping power! Once it bites, it won't let go. This is the number one rated ammo for home and self defense. 2 3/4" round
sounds like it would rattle yer teeth!
Old August 19, 2010, 01:27 AM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
12 Gauge Pit Bull - 25 Pack $69.99

Pure Power! The Pit Bull is a powerful 12 gauge round packed with six 00-Buck pellets topped with a heavy-duty 1.3 oz. slug! Loaded extra hot for MAXIMUM stopping power! Once it bites, it won't let go. This is the number one rated ammo for home and self defense. 2 3/4" round
sounds like it would rattle yer teeth!
They have nearly a 2 ounce payload and call it "Extra Hot" load in a 2 3/4 inch shell
I wonder what you could load into a 3 1/2" shell...
Brent
Old August 19, 2010, 10:49 AM   #16
oneounceload

Amazing what Video Game Commandoes will buy, isn't it, Brent?....
Old August 19, 2010, 12:17 PM   #17
zippy13

I'm surprised, Firequest doesn't seem to market a load specifically for zombies -- they have everything else covered.
Old August 19, 2010, 12:22 PM   #18
Spats McGee
Staff

Personally, I like the confetti rounds.
Old August 19, 2010, 12:35 PM   #19
abelacres

did anybody else see the 12ga/.410 adapter on firequest? is that a brilliant or stupid?
Old August 19, 2010, 08:06 PM   #20
SigP6Carry

I'd honestly NEVER use "non-lethal" ammo is a situatoin that I felt I needed to use a gun in... EVER! The way I see it: if someone broke in with the intention to rob/kill me, I wouldn't give them the option of getting hit with a beanbag, cause if they were hopped up on PCP/Coke/Crack/Meth/Heroin/Whatever, then that round wouldn't be enough. You know what I mean. If the use of a firearm is warranted, the use of deadly force is. Unless you're LAPD or NYPD or CPD or NOPD (or similar) the use of "non-lethal" rounds isn't apt.

Also, that scene in View to a Kill (the Roger Moore James Bond with Chris Walken) where he shoots people with rock salt and they just run away scared isn't accurate to what rock salt will do at close range.

Edit: those rounds are scary on that site... got... wow, I'd hate to use those in any situation... wow, scary.

Last edited by SigP6Carry; August 19, 2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old August 20, 2010, 12:05 AM   #21
Baryngyl

With that Dragons Breath it seems you could kill em and cook em all at once.

Michael Grace
Old August 20, 2010, 12:38 AM   #22
Webleymkv

S&B does make some specialty loads with both rubber buckshot and rubber 12ga balls.

Shells like these used to be somewhat popular for police use, particularly riot and crowd control. Usually, rubber shot if fired at the ground in front of a mob in hopes that it will ricochet into the crowd and cause them to disperse without causing serious injury.

I would not use rubber shot in any circumstance that lethal force would not be justifed other than maybe for running off nuisance animals. The only possible place that I can see for rubber shot in a self-defense situation would be to immediately follow it with regular shot. By doing so, I could see someone possibly being able to claim that they tried using a non-lethal alternative before resorting to deadly force. It is, I admit, a far-fetched idea and I personally just load regular buckshot in my HD shotgun. I figure anything that needs to be shot probably needs to be shot with real buckshot.
Old August 24, 2010, 07:23 PM   #23
scorpion_tyr

Putting "less than lethal" ammuntion in a LETHAL weapon isn't a very good idea.
Old August 24, 2010, 09:14 PM   #24
1776 Patriat

"Putting "less than lethal" ammuntion in a LETHAL weapon isn't a very good idea."

X2!!!
Old August 24, 2010, 11:23 PM   #25
Hoskins

Less Lethal rounds are utilized for riot control, military, & police applications...why someone would want these, other than getting themselves into trouble, is confusing to me. These things can easily kill a person at certain ranges, they are not to be triffled with.