The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2009, 03:23 AM   #1
Dannyl

using Federal Primers on a lee 1000

Hi All,
Has anyone used Federal primers with a lee 1000 Pro press?
if yes, have you had any problems?
I reload for my 0.357 S&W 586, and in order to have a light trigger pull for DA
I must use Federal primers, or else I have misfires due to light-strikes.
I use it for pin-shooting only, not for carry, so having a very light trigger does not pose any risks.

Thanks,

Danny
Cape Town
Old April 27, 2009, 03:26 AM   #2
darkgael

federal

Yes, I have. No problems as long as you keep the plunger clean. I have used Winchester, CCI, Federal, and Remington (in the machine now).
Pete
Old April 27, 2009, 07:27 AM   #3
F. Guffey

I do not have a Lee 1000, I have read Mr R. Lee's book on reloading, he said he did not approve of using Federal primers, he then said he did not test Federal primers, then he said he did not test Federal primers because Federal not give him give him primers to test.

It makes more sense to say Federals large tray is too large for Lee's flip tray than to say 'Federal primers are more powerful' than other primers of the same size, I like that 'more powerful' in a primer.

F. Guffey
Old April 27, 2009, 08:50 AM   #4
JFN

Quote:
It makes more sense to say Federals large tray is too large for Lee's flip tray than to say 'Federal primers are more powerful' than other primers of the same size, I like that 'more powerful' in a primer.
I don't know where you got that, Lee specifically says they are not more powerful.

"Modern Reloading, Second Edition" page #50
"Federal brand primers are the most dangerous when used in the Lee tray fed priming systems. This is not to imply that they are inferior, they simply are dangerous when used in tray fed tools. Nor should you conclude Federal primers are more powerful."

For the Auto Prime Lee lists limitations for primers that are "more powerful". 20 max for Winchester LP, magnum pistol and magnum rifle primers. A limit of 10 in the tray for Winchester LR primers.

But the Safety Prime setup on a turrent press is not the same as the Auto Prime tool where a detonation when seating can run up the tube and into the storage tray. The Safety Prime keeps the primers away during the seating process which occurs at the bottom of the ram stroke. So a detonation will not likely result in a chain reaction as it will with the Auto Prime. I use Federal primers in the safety prime sometimes, and I have had one go off when it crushed during seating, probably slightly out of round. So I don't really see any issues with Federal primers if you use the Safety Prime setup.
Old April 27, 2009, 09:12 AM   #5
F. Guffey

I do not have a Lee 1000, I have read Mr R. Lee's book on reloading, he said he did not approve of using Federal primers, he then said he did not test Federal primers, then he said he did not test Federal primers because Federal not give him give him primers to test.

F. Guffey
Old April 28, 2009, 12:37 AM   #6
Dannyl

Federal primers

Thank you all for your responses.

Rgds,
Danny