The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 23, 2005, 08:39 PM   #1
sthrnfryedyankee

want a new stock for my savage 110 7mm rem mag

I have heard reviews from other people but i want to know some specific people choate,ramline,bell and carlson etc.

I really liked bell and carlsons stuff but then people were saying there guns didnt fit in their stocks and i might have to glass bed my rifle so im at a loss here now ,I cant afford a mcmillan at all, has anyone used a b&C stock specifically with a savage 110
Old April 24, 2005, 08:49 AM   #2
Ruger4570

I have only one black stock as I still prefer a beautiful peice of wood on my guns. I bought a Ramline for one of my Rem. 870's ( I bought it with a broken butt, the gun I mean, not mine). The fit and finish is ok, the recoil pad is a little proud, the parting lines are visible (filed them smooth) and a slight imperfection in the grip, only noticeable in the right light. I wanted to build a dedicated deer slug gun and wanted it to be as bullet proof as possible. All and all I am pleased with the stock, but it will not hold a candle to the fit and finish on a McMilen or B&C. Very servicable stock and suits my need well along with a pretty good price.
Old April 24, 2005, 12:29 PM   #3
Lycanthrope

I have a Bell and Carlson Thumhole on my Model 70 and it fit perfectly with a very small amount of dremelling around the rear tang area. The stock had a rounded rear tang area and my gun was squared. It has held up to some severe weather and abuse and still looks great (not to mention 7STW recoil).

I later glassed the recoil lug area and floated the barrel, but it certainly wasn't necessary. I tend to do that on most of my bolt action rifles.

Another good stock source is Richard's Microfit . You will have to complete some finishing, but for the price they are very nice.
Old April 24, 2005, 07:27 PM   #4
IronLance

How about a laminated wood stock built along the McMillan A2 stock? Brownells doesn't have the picture up anymore, but it was a dead ringer for the McM A2, made by a company named Zero.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Sto...TACTICAL+STOCK