The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 15, 2016, 03:43 PM   #1
toot44

berdan brass shotgun hulls

i have a quantity of them and no berdan primers and want to shoot my 10 gauge sxs dbl. question everbody says to drill them out with a 15/16 inch drill to except 209 dia primers but no one says how too do it. when i tried the drill runs off to one side or the other and ruins the shell, to darned hard to come by to ruin. could some one please run me through it? thanks in advance, toot.
Old November 15, 2016, 04:01 PM   #2
noelf2

Are you trying to drill them with a hand drill? Might try a drill press, and find a way to ensure the hull remains stationary. Also, pretty sure you didn't mean 15/16" (15/64" maybe?).
Old November 15, 2016, 04:05 PM   #3
FITASC

There are charts all over the net about primers and their diameters - it sure isn't 15/16" as mentioned.

Who is "everybody"?

And what brand and how old is this SxS?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 15, 2016, 04:22 PM   #4
toot44

bedern brass shells

you are right on the size of drill. wait till you guys get into your 70,s i think you will have a senior moment or two. i didnt go all over the internet to search i figured some one on this site could help me, sorry i will go and search the internet.
Old November 15, 2016, 04:29 PM   #5
toot44

brass rerdan shells

everybody are guys at my gun club, i am not giving names beacuse you would not know them any way, sorry about 15/16 instead of 15/64, thanks for the help, i really appreaciate it. my dbl is a damascis 10 gauge exposed hammer gun made as near as i can tell in 1890, it has a side lever to open it. it is a black powder gun. hope this answers your questions.
Old November 15, 2016, 05:24 PM   #6
FITASC

Those can be cool guns to shoot - there a few guys at my local club who shoot similar guns. Hope it has been checked by a qualified gunsmith as Damascus barrels that old MIGHT (emphasis on might) have some weak spots - so always proceed with caution.

Good luck.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 16, 2016, 09:04 AM   #7
toot44

dbl 10 ga sxs

fitasc, i had it MAGANAFLUXED, x-rayed, and it passed. no BAT CAVE. you are rite it is a pleasure to shoot. i use plastic shells in it, roll crimped and use a heavy 12 gauge load just to not abuse the old girl. the problem i have with plastic is after one to 3 shootings the hulls develop pin holes where the brass meets the plastic.the black powder is too hot for the plastic. BTW- the gun i have is the same one that JOSEY WHALES uses to kill evereybody in the saloon sene, a seen every one talks about. mine of course is not cut down. best, toot.
Old November 16, 2016, 09:12 AM   #8
toot44

10 ga. dbl.

fitasc. sorry forgot it is a 30 inch, W RICHARDS LONDON FINE TWIST. it has LONDON, TOWER, PROOF,S on the frame not the ones that say W RICHARDS and have BELGIUM proof,s on the frame, a play on a famous name.
Old November 16, 2016, 09:26 AM   #9
FITASC

Glad you had it tested and it passed! A lot of the guys I know (old timers who SHOULD know better) don't go to that trouble. I always stand a bit behind them when they touch one off on the 5-stand.
Old November 29, 2016, 08:41 PM   #10
jrothWA

Who did the MAGNAFLUX testing?

Didn't GRIFFIN & HOWE at one time offer re-proofing by sending shotguns over to the London Proof house??