The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 19, 2011, 07:50 AM   #1
duelist1954

Video - Shooting the 1851 Navy Revolver

My first handgun was a brass framed 1851 Navy revolver that I got in 1972 when I was 17 years old. I loved that gun and I literally wore it out shooting it with heavy loads.

I've had a lot of Navy revolvers since then, and they have a real place in my heart. So I hope you enjoy this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdya8qK7vtM
Old September 19, 2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Crazy Clay

Thanks for the video. I enjoyed it a lot. The 51 Navy is my "currently" favorite pistol, so it was great to see a good video of it being fired.

Steven Clay
Old September 19, 2011, 10:52 AM   #3
OutlawJoseyWales

Thanks, enjoyed that.
As I mentioned in another post, I like the lack of "creep" factor that I find in most gun vids on Youtube.
Good camara quality and attention to detail, even when others are firing over your sound.
OJW
Old September 19, 2011, 12:03 PM   #4
Tanker6

Another great video, Mike!
Old September 19, 2011, 01:15 PM   #5
duelist1954

Thanks guys. I'm glad you liked it. I really appreciate the feedback.

Josey, You would not believe how busy the club was that day, and it was a tuesday! When I'm at the range I'm usually working; either testing guns and loads for the magazine, or shooting videos. But, I swear, nobody works during the week anymore. It used to be that I would have the range to myself, but this past year I have never been to either of my clubs when someone else wasn't on the range. And I always shoot mid-week, just to avoid that.

I usually kill takes when gunfire erupts, but it gets to a point, that if it isn't too bad I keep going, or I'd never get the scene done.

That day I was shooting range footage for four different cap and ball videos, so it was a long day. Sometimes I get into a zone where I'm concentrating so much on what I'm doing that I don't notice the noise around me.

In one case during that shoot a plane flew overhead while I was shooting. I never heard it at the time, but on the video it sounds like it is about to land in the bay with me. I didn't discover that until I up-loaded the day's footage. Needless to say, that scene is trash.
Old September 19, 2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Hardcase

I can't add much more than what the others have said. Another great video, Mike. I sympathize with the hot cap syndrome - it seems like every time I hit the range, I get a hot shell down my back from one of the Winchesters. I guess that's another good reason cowboys wore bandannas and gloves!
Old September 19, 2011, 01:40 PM   #7
mrappe

They also wore large brimmed hats like the Vaquero's at times. They make excellent brass catchers
Old September 19, 2011, 06:31 PM   #8
duelist1954

It is a rare stage where I don't arrive at the unloading table with at least one piece of brass in my hat brim. Love those pencil rolls on the brim for holding brass.
Old September 19, 2011, 07:03 PM   #9
kwhi43

A still From The Video

Old September 19, 2011, 08:16 PM   #10
Hawg

Great video but you said the 51 was called a Navy for the naval scene on the cylinder. The Navy got it's name form the caliber. The Army also has a naval scene.
Old September 24, 2011, 05:13 AM   #11
swopjan

and now, swopjan's obligatory question!

i've got a pair of brass-framed 36 caliber Navies i haven't fired yet, i intend to shoot the hell out of them but they've got some nice engraving in addition to the cylinders, so i don't want to wreck them with heavier loads. how much powder can they handle without warping the brass in the long run?

also, after the LeMat, how about a video on the 1849 Colt pocket model?
Old September 24, 2011, 06:15 AM   #12
zullo74

15-18 grains (by volume) of 3f powder is a proper load for any .36 full frame Navy, brass or steel.
Old September 24, 2011, 11:23 AM   #13
Bishop Creek

It is funny how many of us started out with brass framed Navy revolvers. My first was in 1969 when I was 19. At that time. the 1851 was about all you could find for sale in gun stores.
Old September 24, 2011, 07:08 PM   #14
tpelle

Also it sounded to me like you were referring to the '51 Navy with the brass trigger guard and back strap as being "brass framed". That's not actually correct, as the revolver in the video was obviously steel framed.

A brass framed revolver has the main frame being made of brass, with the main frame being the standing breech, recoil shield, and the part of the frame where the hammer, trigger, and hand are screwed in, as well as the cylinder arbor.

Tough audience, aren't we?
Old September 24, 2011, 10:59 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpelle
Also it sounded to me like you were referring to the '51 Navy with the brass trigger guard and back strap as being "brass framed". That's not actually correct, as the revolver in the video was obviously steel framed.
No, he clearly said "brass grip frame," which is correct.
Old September 25, 2011, 10:43 AM   #16
duelist1954

tpelle, tough audiences are way better than no audiences.